Creative Writing teachers with bias against fantasy/horror

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2008, 5:53 pm

I have no problem adjusting to an instructor's marking methodology if they provide me a few examples of what constitutes an "A" paper. I would say at least three quarters of instructors I have asked were unwilling to do so. English as a subject is a poor reflection of what it could be.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 5:11 pm

Bea wrote:
It sounds like you're into deep genre. Do some research on the industry
standards for that genre (there are usually strict rules and formulas
that writers are expected to adhere to to fit their novels into a specific niche
to make it "marketable.") I think there's even a website call "Deep Genre"
where you can get advice.

If you tone down the sex, you might be able to crack the YA market.
YA fantasy has done well recently.

Just remember, when agents and publishers are choosing which books to back,
they are usually thinking in terms of "which shelf in the bookstore will that go on?"
If it doesn't fit on a shelf, they don't want it.

Oh, well most of my writing definitely fits into genres, usually dark fantasy, but it also tries to ignore many of the cliche trends of those genres. The problem is rather with professors and their disrespect for genres they have no knowledge about.

Ancalagon wrote:
To an extent, you may just have to let go. It's quite unlikely that a single student is going to change the minds of a large number of like-thinking faculty in the same department, no matter how right you are or how wrong they are. Pick your battles.

I wouldn't recommend writing erotica or graphic horror for school writing assignments. It's not just that it might not be politically correct -- these things can be an acquired taste, like very spicy food. They're used to bland food, so don't make it too spicy, or they'll be thinking of how bad their tongue hurts instead of how good it tastes.

I have to disagree strongly with your suggestion that creativity is best without limits. Often, limits help creativity quite a bit. They narrow your focus, and generate intensity, like a laser does to light.

Whether or not you ever end up writing any actual stories about fancy british people sitting around being fancy and british, trying it could be a useful excercise. If you are writing a story with a boring setting, with boring technology and no magic, you will have to find something else to make it interesting. Witty conversations full of irony and double-meaning, humor, philosophical speculation, and suspense can all be done in a boring English sitting room at tea time just as well as on the deck of a star cruiser or in the 18th level of Hell. The humor can be easier with fancy british people, since they're a bit silly already; funny on the 18th level of Hell would be a bit tougher.

lol, I don't submit erotica. When I was complaining about the lack of sex and violence in what we READ, it's more a smaller problem of the larger issue that what we read is BORING and lacks anything exciting. It's not that to be exciting something needs sex or violence, but rather that it doesn't have ANYTHING that's exciting or interested in entertainment--it's all BS pretentious wannabe-art-house-not-as-deep-as-it-thinks-it-is type short fiction. Flannery O'Connor and James Joyce type crap.

And I never said that I thought there should be no limits to creaitivity--of course there should be. Good storytelling demands it. Rather, my point is that one should not conform to the limits of the REAL WORLD. Big difference.

eristocrat wrote:
As a genre writer, you're going to make a lot more money writing than anybody else in the room inlcuding the prof, if that's any consolation.

Hah, very true. I tell that to my classes ALL the time. I fully intend to make a career out of my writing, which is impossible for most of the other students because their writing isn't the least bit user-friendly.

gbollard wrote:
To be honest, I never understood why anyone would go to college to learn creative writing... surely that just kills creativity.

These people are doing you a favor. They're showing you the sorts of reactions that critics and many lay-people will give you when you write your stories. You need to learn to toughen up against these sort of people and do what you want.

Honestly... I'll use George Lucas as an example. (even though he's not technically a "writer"). He's got a story to tell and he's going to tell it his way. He got all kinds of rejections in the beginning until his story suddenly (and unexpectedly) got wide acclaim. Then... when he started tinkering and making the prequels, he got hounded by fans who decided that he was doing it wrong.

He's kept on doing what he wanted - not what the fans wanted.

Perhaps he's lost popularity but he's still telling the stories HE wants to tell. We can choose to go along with him or we can find some other "author" to follow.

Be like that.

I don't see how they're doing me a favor. They're not reading it as anyone in my intended audience would. They're reading it as people who have no interest in the sort of writing I do would. I'm not trying to appeal to people who have absolutely no interest in anything to do with magic or vampires with my writing; I'm trying to appeal to those who DO like magic and vampires but also want a good story to go with those things (since all too often there isn't one). As for George Lucas, he's a f**king horrible writer/director and I sure as hell am not going to emulate HIM. Even the people in his intended audience agree that he's creatively bankrupt. And that's really what it's all about: audience. I'm not going to change the kind of writing I do or go against my passion just to appeal to an audience that I have no interest in writing for after college. I shouldn't have to, that's my whole point. I should be able to persue the genres of my passion without feeling like I'm looked down upon for it. Teachers should NOT have such a silly bias. They should have eclectic taste.

MizLiz wrote:
I had a lot of profs like that (creative writing was my other major). It's why I dropped out. I don't have any genre that I stick to, but I can't stand BS rules.

One prof thought she was doing us a favor by pretending to allow any genre, but she gave us "just one rule" and told us that we couldn't kill anyone in our stories. No one could die. No deaths. None. Her logic was that the death of a character is a cheat. If there's a conflict, an author might try to resolve it by whacking the grandmother so the family can make up at the funeral. So, rather than just punishing amateur writers who would do that (with an F or a talking to or a horsewhipping or whatever it is she would have done), she stifled us. At the start of the class, I had a story ready to go but then I couldn't use it because a central point was the suicide of the main character's sister. It was relevant, not a cheat, but I still had to write something else.

I ended up writing a story I didn't care about and got an A in that class anyway. You'll find that this is what you end up doing. You pander. You have to play their game.

I didn't want to play anymore.

Do you?

I actually don't mind assignments like that, heheh. They can be interesting experiments. I do like to experiment and foray a little out of my element here and there....

Ancalagon wrote:
There are ways of breaking the rules without breaking the rules, if you get creative enough.

The Pit and the Pendulum would be a good example of avoiding the 'no death' rule. Nobody actually dies, even though the theme is death and the whole story is centered around it. You could write about a midieval torture chamber and include quite a bit of graphic violence without actually killing anybody off.

People accused Edgar Allan Poe of never writing a tale with a moral, so he wrote 'Never Bet the Devil Your Head', in which the moral is that you should never bet the devil your head. In it he makes fun of tales with a moral and those who like them.

Horror can be done without blood and guts -- just look at almost anything Alfred Hitchcock did. It can also be done without any element of the supernatural -- Poe's 'The Tell-Tale Heart' and 'The Cask of Amontillado' are good examples.

Although it's set in a very boring, ordinary suburban neighborhood, Calvin & Hobbes doesn't really have any limit as to how weird it can get, because Calvin is so imaginative.

Here, here. Though I disagree about horror, to a certain extent. While I don't think blood and gore should be what horror relies on, they certainly help, being one part of the whole piece IMO. There's gotta be a connection to the characters, there's gotta be the atmosphere and timing and buildup of emotion...but I've never been at all scared by Hitchcock or Poe, or even Lovecraft. More to the point, half the reason why I write horror and dark fantasy is because I come up with sick-ass images and deformed creatures that I'd like to get out of my head. Writing's how I do that.

eristocrat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2008, 6:06 pm

Veresae wrote:

eristocrat wrote:
As a genre writer, you're going to make a lot more money writing than anybody else in the room inlcuding the prof, if that's any consolation.

Hah, very true. I tell that to my classes ALL the time. I fully intend to make a career out of my writing, which is impossible for most of the other students because their writing isn't the least bit user-friendly.

Oh, you just made me have a moment of clarity here.

Although I'm not much of a genre writer (just the way I'm wired) I resent the way none of us nongenre writers can make a living doing anything but teaching because everything we are *taught* tells us we must write dull things that no one will read if they're not in the club.

I remember taking a creative writing class in school where I submitted a proposal for a vampire story. The response from the teacher was "Well fine but on one condition. Can you not make it about gore? Can you do that for me?" I was so mortified that she would think I was a dimwit just for liking vampires that I never bothered...

I figure you're much better off going through the classes like you are AND not compromising. There's a real disconnect in the writing world and you might as well have a foot in both camps.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2008, 8:18 pm

Veresae wrote:
lol, I don't submit erotica. When I was complaining about the lack of sex and violence in what we READ, it's more a smaller problem of the larger issue that what we read is BORING and lacks anything exciting. It's not that to be exciting something needs sex or violence, but rather that it doesn't have ANYTHING that's exciting or interested in entertainment--it's all BS pretentious wannabe-art-house-not-as-deep-as-it-thinks-it-is type short fiction. Flannery O'Connor and James Joyce type crap.

James Joyce -- He's the one that does that stream of consciousness crap, right? :eew:

There is stuff in storytelling that is good without being exciting. Not saying exciting is bad (or sex and violence for that matter), just that it isn't the only thing.

Quote:
And I never said that I thought there should be no limits to creaitivity--of course there should be. Good storytelling demands it. Rather, my point is that one should not conform to the limits of the REAL WORLD. Big difference.

The real world is actually a pretty darn big place. You can do a lot in it. Making a story in the real world that's dark, horrifying, violent, sensual, and exciting can be done. Doing that might be good practice for you, since you're doing the same thing, just with an arbitrary limit.

Putting on wrist and ankle weights when speedwalking doesn't make you go faster, it makes you work harder. Those are also arbitrary limits.

Quote:
As for George Lucas, he's a f**king horrible writer/director and I sure as hell am not going to emulate HIM. Even the people in his intended audience agree that he's creatively bankrupt.

Not quite. They just wish they could have the old George back. The one that did THX 1138 and the original star wars trilogy. Old George was a master.

Quote:
Here, here. Though I disagree about horror, to a certain extent. While I don't think blood and gore should be what horror relies on, they certainly help, being one part of the whole piece IMO. There's gotta be a connection to the characters, there's gotta be the atmosphere and timing and buildup of emotion...but I've never been at all scared by Hitchcock or Poe, or even Lovecraft. More to the point, half the reason why I write horror and dark fantasy is because I come up with sick-ass images and deformed creatures that I'd like to get out of my head. Writing's how I do that.

Some horror doesn't even try to scare you. 'Haeckel's Tale', for example, is a very good story about zombie necrophilia. Nobody gets killed. The narrator gets scared, but the reader doesn't. It works because the very idea of zombie necrophilia is so shocking and horrifying.

Some things have more of an effect on one person than another. The first time I saw 'The Ring', it scared the crap out of me. Some people have told me they found it boring.

Taste for Makers is a really good essay about taste in design work. It's not directly about writing, but it does kind of get at some of the same stuff you brought up.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 4:18 am

Ancalagon wrote:
There is stuff in storytelling that is good without being exciting. Not saying exciting is bad (or sex and violence for that matter), just that it isn't the only thing.

Of course. But when NOTHING you read in writing classes has ANY excitement, it's monotonous and boring as hell. Writing is not just an art form, it's a form of entertainment--an aspect that the sorts of stories you read in college tend to have complete disinterest in.

The way I see it, fewer people read because reading is an active process. It's easier to watch a movie--that's passive, and more movies have the desire to create excitement and entertainment. Certainly, many books do as well--and many fail. But some don't at all. Look at Harry Potter. Entertaining, exciting, fun as hell, just extremely well executed escapist entertainment.

While I certainly don't think that sort of thing is all we should read, I don't think we should ONLY read stories that are boring as hell in college writing programs. There should be a variety, with all genres and styles accepted. THAT is my point.

Ancalagon wrote:
The real world is actually a pretty darn big place. You can do a lot in it. Making a story in the real world that's dark, horrifying, violent, sensual, and exciting can be done. Doing that might be good practice for you, since you're doing the same thing, just with an arbitrary limit.

Putting on wrist and ankle weights when speedwalking doesn't make you go faster, it makes you work harder. Those are also arbitrary limits.

The real world bores the s**t out of me. I read and write to get away from it, and my strengths as a writer lie in my ability to create otherworldly images and ideas. If something takes place in the real world, if it was 100% POSSIBLE, then I'm automatically less likely to enjoy it. It's a personal preference that I'm entitled to have. Like you said...it's a matter of taste.

Which brings us back to the topic at hand--which I would like this thread to return to.

NEWater
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jan 2009, 5:15 pm

I thought that the whole Harry Potter series was quite dull, though revealing Dumbledore to be gay was a pretty interesting curveball to gauge the level of enlightenment amongst its readers.

I'm kind of a multi-genre reader and writer. Enjoy plenty of things like scifi (Peter F. Hamilton) or thrillers (W.E.B. Griffin) or sometimes, just the wickedly funny genre hybrids that Terry Pratchett is so talented at putting together.''

However, if anyone were to ask me about Dark Fantasy where vampires, demons, sex and violence were to be involved, my response would be that it becomes easymode for the writer to create a so-called "epic" plot. It's no coincidence that it's typically the "bad" roleplayers who tend to choose some kind of "half-demon" or "half-vampire" lineage just to make themselves look "cooler", or justify themselves to have some sort of easymode superstrength.

In my view, short stories can be quite fascinating. Try reading Roald Dahl, Veresae. I grew up with his books for children, and his short stories for adults was to me, the gold standard in making short stories interesting. One of the best was "The Great Switcheroo", which was first published in the April 1974 issue of Playboy.

While I enjoy and adore H.P. Lovecraft's work as much as the next connoisseur, just because any tale which doesn't have violence nor bloodshed nor succubi taking men unbidden on their beds, doesn't mean that it's not interesting. If anyone asks me, it's my view that the best author is one who is able to put together an interesting, large-scale tale without the need of what I call "plot steroids" like Super-Saiyan deus ex machina that tries to make everything "interesting".

I've yet to take a look at your material, Veresae, so I can't make a judgement of what you've been talking about could be backed up with quality. But if you honestly think that you'll be able to make it out there with your work, then go on right ahead.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 9:51 am

Creative writing courses seem a waste of time and money, IMO. Writing talent is something you have or don't have. You should keep writing what you want to write, not what the prof likes. Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Personally, I like to write things that are set in real life, but the more exciting side of real life.

y es como un semestre"

koryna

22 Jan 2009, 1:41 pm

oh yeah, academic professors don't really like fantasy in their creative writing. I think that's why I'm having trouble getting into my Master's of Creative Writing. Which is annoying, cause all I write is fantasy. They'll accept fiction, but they don't seem to know what to do with fantasy. I think the problem is that the academic community hasn't fully come to realize that fantasy CAN be "literature" and can have narrative forms and literary theories applied to them. I purposefully studied at a university that didn't have creative writing courses just so that I could learn what can be applied to my own writing.
Also, there is value in studying "pulp" literature, as it is what the culture and society is producing, and so one can examine one's culture and society by examining the creative output to understand the current mindset. For example, I've noticed that vampire books are really big right now; what is it about vampires that the audience likes? Why are these books appealing? What could be causing these books to BE appealing? And how does this reflect society as a whole?

Luckily for me, a few profs allowed me to submit creative writing assignments because I fulfilled requirements for alternative assignments, like being Mennonite in a course about Mennonite Literature (ten rather quickly written poems later, an A). Also, I wasn't totally bored; my university was pretty liberal, and had courses on Cyborg Literature, Tolkien, King Arthur and comic books. Not a lot, mind you, but it was still interesting.

eristocrat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2009, 7:19 pm

koryna wrote:
Also, there is value in studying "pulp" literature, as it is what the culture and society is producing, and so one can examine one's culture and society by examining the creative output to understand the current mindset. For example, I've noticed that vampire books are really big right now; what is it about vampires that the audience likes? Why are these books appealing? What could be causing these books to BE appealing? And how does this reflect society as a whole?

Luckily for me, a few profs allowed me to submit creative writing assignments because I fulfilled requirements for alternative assignments, like being Mennonite in a course about Mennonite Literature (ten rather quickly written poems later, an A). Also, I wasn't totally bored; my university was pretty liberal, and had courses on Cyborg Literature, Tolkien, King Arthur and comic books. Not a lot, mind you, but it was still interesting.

Ironic that almost all my profs either had a secret weakness for genre fiction or took the postmodern approach to literature and studied alot of "pulp" lit, fantasy, cyborg, gothic, etc. The few who didn't were not pretentious at all about their literariness either. I felt it more in creative writing classes where there is so much competition, and writers tend to "eat their young" so to speak. I wish I went to your undergrad! Good job on the poems. lol

Fremen
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Feb 2009, 6:52 pm

I understand your disgust of Flannery O'connor. I've found that she's only a character writer, and in my opinion, not a very good one. Just dialogue and reactions. My opinion on why teachers teach short stories is because its gradable. Have you taken any British lit courses? One of my career goals is to become a professor, but teach fantasy literature, i.e. Stephen King, madeline lengle, Anne Rice, Tolkein, CS Lewis, Stoker, etc.
Joyce can be good. I guess my like of Joyce comes from reading it as a reader, instead of as an assignment. It gives a different experience. I love Poe, Hp lovecraft, melville, hawthorne, Mary Shelley, Stevenson, HG Wells (cant understand why no one will teach Wells anymore), and others.
Just stick to your courses and keep writing in your genre.
Good luck.