Do you play a musical instrument?

Page 8 of 12 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Do you play a musical instrument?
Yes. 39%  39%  [ 228 ]
Yes. 40%  40%  [ 238 ]
No. 10%  10%  [ 59 ]
No. 11%  11%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 590

300series
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:30 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
I voted "no" for this poll. I tried to learn how to play the saxophone & the violin back when I was a teenager, but I had no talent & was not very good at either instrument, so I quit the lessons. I did not take the lessons for very long. A friend recently told me that you need really good coordination to play the violin, so maybe it was part of my problem.

I don't have great coordination, but I still play the violin. Holding it correctly and having proper posture are the things I struggle with most, though. I don't have any talent either, I just play it a lot :D . Don't be too hard on yourself.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I remember I struggled with holding the violin correctly & posture too. Another problem I had was reading the music & trying to play the notes correctly. I just did not understand it well. It was very confusing for me. It was fun at first, but I would get frustrated because I could play it well.

That's what happened to me with all the other instruments I ever tried to play :D . Playing an instrument is really hard, so I don't blame you at all for struggling! What other things do you like to do? Do you have any hobbies, or a "special interest?" :D

Yes, playing an instrument seemed like fun before I tried to learn how to play it. One other issue I had was that I was more interested in doing other things that I like better instead of practicing my instruments. I have other hobbies & "special interests" too. I can not sing or play any music or instruments, but I really like listening to music. I like to collect music & listen to it. I like to collect music & different formats of music like records, compact discs, and 8-track tapes. I also like to collect other things like coins, music, movies, books, electronics, and maps. I also really like cars. I also have a fascination with Asperger's syndrome & wrong planet. I like to spend a lot of my free time on the Internet reading about my "special interests."

I love reading about my special interests on the internet as well :D . I love listening to music too. It's very calming for me. I am a lot more interested in doing other things than school, so I can relate to what you said about being more interested in other things than what you are supposed to do. I do enjoy some parts of school, though. What are your favorite movies and books?

Yes, I also understand about doing school work; I never liked it either. Some of my favourite movies are Disney movies, the Star Wars series, the Star Trek series, the Marvel super hero series, the Lord Of The Rings series, Carrie, The Shining, Jaws, Mr. Holland's Opus, Mask, Men & Chicken, Grease, The Breakfast Club, The Ring, Rings, Shaft, and King Kong.

I also like to read too. When I was a kid, my favourite books were the poetry books by Shel Silverstein. They were called Where The Sidewalk Ends, A Light In The Attic, and Falling Up. I also liked another kids' book he wrote called The Giving Tree. I actually used to know another author from Chicago called Tamara Amanda Bryant; we used to E mail each other & talk on the telephone. She wrote books of poetry & prose. Her books were called Stumbling & Mumbling, Conviction, Electric Cats, and Bitter Teachings. I have always been interested in maps, so I like to read atlases. I usually prefer nonfiction instead of fiction, but sometimes I like fiction also. I also like to read biographies too.

Cool! My brother saw The Ring and he was terrified for weeks :lol: . I have read Shel Silverstein before too. I used to read The Giving Tree as well as some of his poetry. I also prefer nonfiction, and I was hyperlexic when I was little. Sometimes I enjoy fiction- especially if it's about autism/Asperger's. I recently read a fiction book called Reign Rain. It was pretty good.

What kind of cars do you like?

I liked The Ring too. I have also seen the original Japanese movie called Ringu. I like horror movies, but I do not really get terrified by them. I also saw the sequel called Rings back in February.

I also like some fiction too, and I like some fiction about autism & Asperger's syndrome. I have found that some of it is not always accurate, mostly stereotypes about what society thinks autism is like.

I like all different kinds of cars, but I think me favourite car is probably Volvo, which is the kind of car that I drive. I also really like some of the older Honda cars. My Dad drives a big GMC Duramax Diesel pickup truck, so I like large Diesel pickup trucks too. Porsche is also a fun car that I like. I am also interested in some obscure, scarce cars which had short production runs. One man that I work with sometimes takes me to classic car shows on weekends, and they are fun to attend. I also like to read magazines about cars, and read about them online.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 6:23 am

300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
I voted "no" for this poll. I tried to learn how to play the saxophone & the violin back when I was a teenager, but I had no talent & was not very good at either instrument, so I quit the lessons. I did not take the lessons for very long. A friend recently told me that you need really good coordination to play the violin, so maybe it was part of my problem.

I don't have great coordination, but I still play the violin. Holding it correctly and having proper posture are the things I struggle with most, though. I don't have any talent either, I just play it a lot :D . Don't be too hard on yourself.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I remember I struggled with holding the violin correctly & posture too. Another problem I had was reading the music & trying to play the notes correctly. I just did not understand it well. It was very confusing for me. It was fun at first, but I would get frustrated because I could play it well.

That's what happened to me with all the other instruments I ever tried to play :D . Playing an instrument is really hard, so I don't blame you at all for struggling! What other things do you like to do? Do you have any hobbies, or a "special interest?" :D

Yes, playing an instrument seemed like fun before I tried to learn how to play it. One other issue I had was that I was more interested in doing other things that I like better instead of practicing my instruments. I have other hobbies & "special interests" too. I can not sing or play any music or instruments, but I really like listening to music. I like to collect music & listen to it. I like to collect music & different formats of music like records, compact discs, and 8-track tapes. I also like to collect other things like coins, music, movies, books, electronics, and maps. I also really like cars. I also have a fascination with Asperger's syndrome & wrong planet. I like to spend a lot of my free time on the Internet reading about my "special interests."

I love reading about my special interests on the internet as well :D . I love listening to music too. It's very calming for me. I am a lot more interested in doing other things than school, so I can relate to what you said about being more interested in other things than what you are supposed to do. I do enjoy some parts of school, though. What are your favorite movies and books?

Yes, I also understand about doing school work; I never liked it either. Some of my favourite movies are Disney movies, the Star Wars series, the Star Trek series, the Marvel super hero series, the Lord Of The Rings series, Carrie, The Shining, Jaws, Mr. Holland's Opus, Mask, Men & Chicken, Grease, The Breakfast Club, The Ring, Rings, Shaft, and King Kong.

I also like to read too. When I was a kid, my favourite books were the poetry books by Shel Silverstein. They were called Where The Sidewalk Ends, A Light In The Attic, and Falling Up. I also liked another kids' book he wrote called The Giving Tree. I actually used to know another author from Chicago called Tamara Amanda Bryant; we used to E mail each other & talk on the telephone. She wrote books of poetry & prose. Her books were called Stumbling & Mumbling, Conviction, Electric Cats, and Bitter Teachings. I have always been interested in maps, so I like to read atlases. I usually prefer nonfiction instead of fiction, but sometimes I like fiction also. I also like to read biographies too.

Cool! My brother saw The Ring and he was terrified for weeks :lol: . I have read Shel Silverstein before too. I used to read The Giving Tree as well as some of his poetry. I also prefer nonfiction, and I was hyperlexic when I was little. Sometimes I enjoy fiction- especially if it's about autism/Asperger's. I recently read a fiction book called Reign Rain. It was pretty good.

I liked The Ring too. I have also seen the original Japanese movie called Ringu. I like horror movies, but I do not really get terrified by them. I also saw the sequel called Rings back in February.

I also like some fiction too, and I like some fiction about autism & Asperger's syndrome. I have found that some of it is not always accurate, mostly stereotypes about what society thinks autism is like.

I like all different kinds of cars, but I think me favourite car is probably Volvo, which is the kind of car that I drive. I also really like some of the older Honda cars. My Dad drives a big GMC Duramax Diesel pickup truck, so I like large Diesel pickup trucks too. Porsche is also a fun car that I like. I am also interested in some obscure, scarce cars which had short production runs. One man that I work with sometimes takes me to classic car shows on weekends, and they are fun to attend. I also like to read magazines about cars, and read about them online.

I need to see that movie! Didn't know there was a sequel.

Yeah, a lot of that kind of fiction is just stereotypes, but I still enjoy it anyway. This isn't about autism, but have you read "Out of My Mind" yet? It's about a girl who has cerebral palsy which prevents her from walking and talking. It's pretty good.

Wow! My favorite YouTuber's friend also loves cars. His name is iballisticsquid. What color car is your Volvo? It's cool how you get to go to car shows on the weekends sometimes. :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

300series
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:06 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:

Yeah, a lot of that kind of fiction is just stereotypes, but I still enjoy it anyway. This isn't about autism, but have you read "Out of My Mind" yet? It's about a girl who has cerebral palsy which prevents her from walking and talking. It's pretty good.

Wow! My favorite YouTuber's friend also loves cars. His name is iballisticsquid. What color car is your Volvo? It's cool how you get to go to car shows on the weekends sometimes. :D

Yeah, I liked the sequel. I saw it back in February at a drive-in near me, and it was just released on DVD a few weeks ago. It is a scary movie!

I have never read Out Of My Mind. It sounds like a good book. I work at a library, and I am just about to leave for work, so I will look for it when I am there today.

My Volvo is white with a brown leather interior. I have owned it since 2006, and it has been a good car. I will look iballisticsquid on You Tube later today & watch some of his videos. I like going to the car shows on the weekends. There are interesting cars there, and they are fun to watch & look at.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:28 pm

only clarinet.
i've dabbled with others but i can't dedicate enough time and energy into really playing more than one.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 4:18 pm

300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:

Yeah, I liked the sequel. I saw it back in February at a drive-in near me, and it was just released on DVD a few weeks ago. It is a scary movie!

I have never read Out Of My Mind. It sounds like a good book. I work at a library, and I am just about to leave for work, so I will look for it when I am there today.

My Volvo is white with a brown leather interior. I have owned it since 2006, and it has been a good car. I will look iballisticsquid on You Tube later today & watch some of his videos. I like going to the car shows on the weekends. There are interesting cars there, and they are fun to watch & look at.

I bet it is :D . The Ring seems terrifying enough!

Cool! I might work at a library one day. Are you like a check-out person?

Yay- I like white cars! They look more "sleek" to me. iballisticquid is mainly a gaming YouTuber, but he also has some car videos I have watched. I wish I could go to a car show! Is it hard learning how to drive a car? I'm kind of nervous about driving one.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

300series
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:33 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:

I bet it is :D . The Ring seems terrifying enough!

Cool! I might work at a library one day. Are you like a check-out person?

Yay- I like white cars! They look more "sleek" to me. iballisticquid is mainly a gaming YouTuber, but he also has some car videos I have watched. I wish I could go to a car show! Is it hard learning how to drive a car? I'm kind of nervous about driving one.

They are weird movies, but you may like them if you ever want to see them.

I have worked at the same library for a long time, and I do mostly the same kinds of work every day. I am good at it, and I still like it. I check out a lot of items from the library where I work.

I like white cars too, and I think they are "sleek" too. For me, at first it was hard learning to drive a car, but the more I did it, the easier it got, so it just takes practice. I practiced for 3 years before I took my driving test & got my driver's licence; I just wanted to be well-prepared for it. I passed the test the first time I took it. I have never driven a truck or any kind of big car; they would make me too nervous.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 6:07 pm

I started a new post because that quote was getting a little long :D .

It must be fun to work at a library. It's convenient how you can check out books, too!

Yeah- I honestly can't imagine myself driving! I'm seriously going to crash into something! I actually might have to learn while driving a minivan 8O . There is no way I could ever drive a bigger vehicle. :D

Do you like having autism/Asperger's?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 6:22 pm

I play no musical instrument.

I tried guitar lessons when I was 9. I wanted to go out and play baseball instead.

I also work in a library--in the morning.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 9:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I play no musical instrument.

I tried guitar lessons when I was 9. I wanted to go out and play baseball instead.

I also work in a library--in the morning.

Yeah, it's hard to stay interested when taking up an instrument.

I like libraries :D . They're nice and quiet.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 9:47 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

It must be fun to work at a library. It's convenient how you can check out books, too!

Yeah- I honestly can't imagine myself driving! I'm seriously going to crash into something! I actually might have to learn while driving a minivan 8O . There is no way I could ever drive a bigger vehicle. :D

Yes, it was getting very long.

I like working in a library. There is always a lot of interesting materials being returned, and I get to check everything in & shelve everything. I am good at it, and it is the only job I have had.

I used to get nervous about driving back when I was a student driver. I have had a few crashes, but they were not really bad, and they happened a long time ago. I have found that being careful & focused are critical, and they actually make driving easier. I could not drive a minivan or any bigger vehicle either; they are too big & cumbersome, and I would get too nervous.

I actually like having Asperger's syndrome. I think it makes me unique & who I am. I have special skills & talents that I do not think I would have without it. Since I have Asperger's syndrome, there are certain issues that are difficult for me to deal with, but I am able to work thru them. I do not want to be just like every one else; it would be boring.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 9:55 pm

300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I like working in a library. There is always a lot of interesting materials being returned, and I get to check everything in & shelve everything. I am good at it, and it is the only job I have had.

I used to get nervous about driving back when I was a student driver. I have had a few crashes, but they were not really bad, and they happened a long time ago. I have found that being careful & focused are critical, and they actually make driving easier. I could not drive a minivan or any bigger vehicle either; they are too big & cumbersome, and I would get too nervous.

I actually like having Asperger's syndrome. I think it makes me unique & who I am. I have special skills & talents that I do not think I would have without it. Since I have Asperger's syndrome, there are certain issues that are difficult for me to deal with, but I am able to work thru them. I do not want to be just like every one else; it would be boring.

Now I really want to work at a library! It must be so fun to see what people check out. My favorite book is called Don't Touch Me by Howie Mandel, my favorite AGT judge. I plan on checking it out again soon.

There may be some sort of Driver's class at my school, but I'm not sure. Hopefully I won't have to learn using a minivan!

Wow, you and I are the first :D ! I like having Asperger's too. It's part of who I am, and I could make a whole list of things I dislike about it, but complaining gets you nowhere, in my opinion. I don't want to be like everyone else either- that's way too boring! :D

300series
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 10:39 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Now I really want to work at a library! It must be so fun to see what people check out. My favorite book is called Don't Touch Me by Howie Mandel, my favorite AGT judge. I plan on checking it out again soon.

There may be some sort of Driver's class at my school, but I'm not sure. Hopefully I won't have to learn using a minivan!

Wow, you and I are the first :D ! I like having Asperger's too. It's part of who I am, and I could make a whole list of things I dislike about it, but complaining gets you nowhere, in my opinion. I don't want to be like everyone else either- that's way too boring! :D

Yes, it is fun to see what people check out & return. It is always something new every day. Most of the time, I get to work independently, and I do not have to worry about working with the public & talk to people very much.

The schools I attended did not have driving classes, but my Dad found some very helpful instructors to teach me how to drive. They worked in a hospital & taught disabled individuals how to drive. They used cars which were customized with instruments & controls on both the driver's side & passenger's side of the car, so they could take control of the car in case I made a mistake while they drove with me. They did not use a minivan either, just regular sedans. I have never driven a minivan before.

Having Asperger's syndrome has its advantages & its disadvantages, but I am happy with it. I can do things that neurotypicals can not do, and I am grateful for the uniqueness of my life. I do not complain about having Asperger's syndrome. I just try to be who I am & do what makes me happy. It does not do any good to complain about something that you can not change about yourself.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 12:52 pm

300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Yes, it is fun to see what people check out & return. It is always something new every day. Most of the time, I get to work independently, and I do not have to worry about working with the public & talk to people very much.

The schools I attended did not have driving classes, but my Dad found some very helpful instructors to teach me how to drive. They worked in a hospital & taught disabled individuals how to drive. They used cars which were customized with instruments & controls on both the driver's side & passenger's side of the car, so they could take control of the car in case I made a mistake while they drove with me. They did not use a minivan either, just regular sedans. I have never driven a minivan before.

Having Asperger's syndrome has its advantages & its disadvantages, but I am happy with it. I can do things that neurotypicals can not do, and I am grateful for the uniqueness of my life. I do not complain about having Asperger's syndrome. I just try to be who I am & do what makes me happy. It does not do any good to complain about something that you can not change about yourself.

Those driving classes seem pretty cool! It's good they used normal sized cars.

I agree about having Asperger's- I am happy with it :D . It's better to have problems and find ways to work around them than complain, in my opinion as well.

Did you go to any camps when you were younger? I'm going to one now :D .

300series
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 1:49 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
300series wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Those driving classes seem pretty cool! It's good they used normal sized cars.

I agree about having Asperger's- I am happy with it :D . It's better to have problems and find ways to work around them than complain, in my opinion as well.

Did you go to any camps when you were younger? I'm going to one now :D .

Growing up, I always wanted to drive when I got older, and I was glad that my father found a good instructor for me. She was very patient with me & understood me well. I was also glad that her fleet had normal-sized cars instead of big minivans or oversized vehicles.

I have never complained about having Asperger's syndrome. I just accept it as being a part of who I am, and also found positive things about it.

I used to go camping with my family when I was a kid, but I never went to any other kind of camp. I never went to sixth grade camp or Summer camp either. Every year, my parents always made me go to Summer school. I know that now schools do not have Summer school any more. What is your camp like? I do not know anything about camps.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 3:56 pm

I hope I am able to find an instructor like that :D .

I know you would never complain about having Asperger's- I'm agreeing with you :D !

My summer camp is finally over, but we played games outside and had snack breaks and did things like that. I met a friend there that I was friends with my other friend last year, but we had never really been friends. We talk about my favorite teachers and going back to school soon :D !

300series
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 11:20 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
I hope I am able to find an instructor like that :D .

I know you would never complain about having Asperger's- I'm agreeing with you :D !

My summer camp is finally over, but we played games outside and had snack breaks and did things like that. I met a friend there that I was friends with my other friend last year, but we had never really been friends. We talk about my favorite teachers and going back to school soon :D !

They were good driving instructors. I hope you do well with your driving lessons!

We both agree that it is good having Asperger's syndrome!

Your story about Summer camp was interesting. I am glad you had a good time there & made a friend. I have not gone camping in a really long time. I used to talk about my teachers with my parents. I always had good teachers, and there were a few of them that I really liked a lot. I still E mail one of my old teachers from high school that I really liked.