What Do You Eat, and Do You Prepare Your Own Food?

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Do you prepare your own food?
Almost always, fairly traditional mixed diet 14%  14%  [ 37 ]
Almost always, fairly traditional mixed diet 14%  14%  [ 38 ]
Almost always, vegetarian/vegan 6%  6%  [ 17 ]
Almost always, vegetarian/vegan 6%  6%  [ 17 ]
Almost always, low carbohydrate/gf/cf/raw/other special diet 6%  6%  [ 17 ]
Almost always, low carbohydrate/gf/cf/raw/other special diet 6%  6%  [ 17 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways/restaurant trad diet 5%  5%  [ 14 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways/restaurant trad diet 6%  6%  [ 15 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways vegetarian/vegan 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways vegetarian/vegan 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways low carb/gf/cf/raw/other special diet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways low carb/gf/cf/raw/other special diet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mostly traditional takeaways, some microwave meals 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Mostly traditional takeaways, some microwave meals 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Mostly vegetarian/vegan takeaways, some packet meals 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mostly vegetarian/vegan takeaways, some packet meals 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mostly low carb/gf/cf/raw etc takeaways, some microwaved meals 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Mostly low carb/gf/cf/raw etc takeaways, some microwaved meals 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Most of the time other people cook traditional meals for me 7%  7%  [ 20 ]
Most of the time other people cook traditional meals for me 7%  7%  [ 20 ]
Most of the time other people cook vegetarian/vegan meals for me 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Most of the time other people cook vegetarian/vegan meals for me 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Most of the time other people cook low carb/gf/cf/raw/other special meals for me 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Most of the time other people cook low carb/gf/cf/raw/other special meals for me 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 269

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,455
Location: Europe

20 Nov 2009, 5:14 pm

What do you eat, and do you prepare your own food? :)



20 Nov 2009, 5:18 pm

Past, cereal, sandwiches, corn dogs, fruit. Yes I prepare them. I hate cooking though so I don't make a lot.


I am not going to list down everything I eat.



CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Oct 2008
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 657
Location: Connecticut, USA

20 Nov 2009, 9:33 pm

I "dine out" maybe once every couple of years. I like to try new things then (last time I tried catfish--yum!). That must have been prior to 2007, because I'm pretty sure my mother was still alive then, and I was with my dad after we left the nursing home.

If I'm hungry and running low on stuff at home, I might pick up a sandwich at Subway (which is right next to my post office and bank). Maybe every 2-3 months.

Otherwise, I cook all my food at home. Making lasagna, as usual, for "Turkey Day" haha. :chef:



pixel-debris
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 23

20 Nov 2009, 10:02 pm

How come no choice for "meat eater" and little to no vegetables?


_________________
I figure the odds be 50-50 that I just might have something to say.


leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,011
Location: 200 miles south of Little Rock

20 Nov 2009, 10:08 pm

I eat whatever is placed in front of me (usually by my wife, and except for non-Kosher), but I do brew coffee and pop my own popcorn and dish out my own ice cream.


_________________
I began looking for someone like me when I was five ...
My search ended at 59 ... right here on WrongPlanet.
==================================


ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,455
Location: Europe

21 Nov 2009, 2:29 am

pixel-debris wrote:
How come no choice for "meat eater" and little to no vegetables?

"Low carbo" is exactly that ( in the "Low carbo/gf/cf/raw/other special diet" option ).

Edit. Unless you eat lots of starchy carbohydrates ( cereals etc ), in which case it's "traditional"! !! ;)



Last edited by ouinon on 21 Nov 2009, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 739
Location: Red Wing, MN

21 Nov 2009, 2:39 am

I prepare almost all my own food - it's not exactly what I'd term a "special diet" - but it's not what I'd call "traditional," either. I'm going for "nutritionally balanced," with lots of fruits, vegetables & whole grains - and a moderate amount of protein. There's very little cooking involved (a boiled egg & oatmeal for breakfast, some pre-cooked chicken chopped into a salad for supper - sometimes toast with peanut butter for a snack - sometimes boiling pasta & heating sauce in the microwave.)


_________________
"I am likely to miss the main event, if I stop to cry & complain again.
So I will keep a deliberate pace - Let the damn breeze dry my face."
- Fiona Apple - "Better Version of Me"


ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,455
Location: Europe

21 Nov 2009, 3:15 am

zeichner wrote:
I prepare almost all my own food - it's not exactly what I'd term a "special diet" - but it's not what I'd call "traditional," either. I'm going for "nutritionally balanced," with lots of fruits, vegetables & whole grains - and a moderate amount of protein. There's very little cooking involved (a boiled egg & oatmeal for breakfast, some pre-cooked chicken chopped into a salad for supper - sometimes toast with peanut butter for a snack - sometimes boiling pasta & heating sauce in the microwave.)

That sounds very traditional to me! :)
.



zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 739
Location: Red Wing, MN

21 Nov 2009, 8:20 am

ouinon wrote:
zeichner wrote:
I prepare almost all my own food - it's not exactly what I'd term a "special diet" - but it's not what I'd call "traditional," either. I'm going for "nutritionally balanced," with lots of fruits, vegetables & whole grains - and a moderate amount of protein. There's very little cooking involved (a boiled egg & oatmeal for breakfast, some pre-cooked chicken chopped into a salad for supper - sometimes toast with peanut butter for a snack - sometimes boiling pasta & heating sauce in the microwave.)

That sounds very traditional to me! :)
.

Well - to me, "traditional" is what my mother made when I was growing up: lots of prepared foods (casseroles, cooked vegetables, meat was the centerpiece of a meal, baked goods, etc.)

I eat most of my vegetables raw, almost never mix things together (except for a salad), meat is more of a "flavoring" than the main thing - and (except for whole-grain bread) no baked goods: cookies, cakes, donuts, etc.


_________________
"I am likely to miss the main event, if I stop to cry & complain again.
So I will keep a deliberate pace - Let the damn breeze dry my face."
- Fiona Apple - "Better Version of Me"


ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,455
Location: Europe

21 Nov 2009, 8:54 am

zeichner wrote:
Well - to me, "traditional" is what my mother made when I was growing up: lots of prepared foods (casseroles, cooked vegetables, meat was the centerpiece of a meal, baked goods, etc.)

I eat most of my vegetables raw, almost never mix things together (except for a salad), meat is more of a "flavoring" than the main thing - and (except for whole-grain bread) no baked goods: cookies, cakes, donuts, etc.

Yes, I started to think about this as I posted my reply :); what people mean by traditional. You're right, it's subjective! And yes, the rawness of your veg and the minimalism of your meat do sound unusual. I need to eat more veg I think, but at least, like you are doing, I have cut out all refined carbohydrates. I have also cut out most starchy carbos too, ( cereals, potatoes, corn, etc ). Thanks for explaining what you meant. :)

.



Sati
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 535

25 Nov 2009, 11:19 pm

Vegan, cooked by other people. Unless you count things such as making toast and boiling water as cooking.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,641
Location: Houston, Texas

12 Dec 2009, 1:08 pm

I will eat anything that won't eat me first. I often prepare my own food, and go out to eat the rest of the time.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


crazy333girl
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 7 Aug 2010
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 16

25 Aug 2010, 10:24 pm

I'm a very fussy eater and it's why I have serious weight problems (over weight because I don't get enough of the good foods). I find the textures in my mouth of lots of food awful and when I find something I like then I will eat it for weeks or even months on end. I can't eat anything green.

I mostly eat jasmine rice and diced chicken with spicy sauce. I do love indian food as long as there is no green in it. I also eat with my fingers, which I know sounds disgusting to most people. I love the feel of food between my fingers and the connection to it when I'm eating. If I go out I do use cutlery though!



richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jan 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,003
Location: Lake Whoop-Dee-Doo, Pennsylvania

06 Sep 2010, 9:04 am

I prepare most of my own meals, and recently I started growing some of my own vegetables.


_________________
Life! Liberty!...and Perseveration!!.....
Weiner's Law of Libraries: There are no answers, only cross references.....
My Blog: http://richiesroom.wordpress.com/


IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2010
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 751

26 Dec 2010, 9:45 am

Sometimes I eat at home, and sometimes I eat out. I'm not a vegetarian, but I limit meat and I don't eat red meat. I haven't eaten Wendy's, McDonalds, White Castle, or Burger King in months (that's a good thing.)