What subculture are/were you in high school?

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What subculture do/did you belong to in high school?
Nerd 18%  18%  [ 48 ]
Jock 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
Preppy (of the Ralph Lauren, J. Crew, Izod variety) 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Prep (of the American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Structure variety) 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Goth 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Emo kid 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Skater/punk/skatepunk 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Hippie/stoner 5%  5%  [ 14 ]
Beatnik 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Hip-hop 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Metalhead 7%  7%  [ 18 ]
Hipster 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
Surfer 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Trendy 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Grunger 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Loner 23%  23%  [ 62 ]
Outcast 16%  16%  [ 44 ]
Other 11%  11%  [ 30 ]
I am/was homeschooled 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
I'm not in high school yet 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 274

WoW_Wow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2016, 10:03 pm

At the "Asperger's and social conventions" thread, someone mentioned a survey on another forum that included a question on what kind of group you fit into in high school (if you were a goth, preppy, jock, etc.)

I think I'd like to ask this question here. What were you guys?

I was a nerd (and still am). Bad social skills, obsessed with World of Warcraft, shy, unstylish clothes, good at academic work, not considered cool.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 8:36 pm

Tough to choose just one. Being an outcast often leads to being a loner. I liked the hippies since most were always easy-going and nice. There was always too much confusion and distraction for me to hope to achieve academic nerddom. I couldn't dribble a basketball and move forward at the same time, so jock was out. I would have hoped for a loftier title, but I guess outcast/hippie admirer would describe the situation here.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 9:43 pm

The hip thing to do was grow your hair long, walk around town with a Cream album under your arm and hope very very hard that you could get your hands on hash or sex - both of which were in short supply where I lived.

When I got closer in to the hippie thing they were nearly all middle class and I wasn't, but did end up very smashed, for years.

Reptile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2016, 8:57 am

I was an active part of the local metal scene where I lived at that time and definitely was a Metalhead. I am still into metal but I don’t have the look and am not active in the scene anymore.
However I’ve always been and will be a complete nerd. And while it might be surprising to some, being both a Metalhead and a nerd combined is not uncommon at all.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 6:58 pm

I was an outcast amongst the outcasts.

The way I dressed.....would probably be considered "nerdy."

The "Goths" were known as "New-Wavers" back when I went to high school.

There was no "hip hop" yet, really--though it went mainstream during my senior year in high school, 1979.

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2016, 7:29 pm

I dressed anachronistically and listened to New Wave.

But I was also in the math team and the marching band, which made me a Nerd.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 9:21 pm

The Marching Band was probably pretty "hip," actually.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 10:38 pm

In school... mostly a subculture of nothing, though i shared with one other person an interest in the sonic universe, that subculture. Now though, including that, also part of nerd, furry, mlp and other gaming subclutures, Otherwise also part of LGBT (sub)cultures.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 11:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I was trying to figure out the difference between "loner" (which I chose) and "outcast".

Is one a 'choice' (i.e. "loner") and the other is imposed by others (i.e. "outcast")? Alternative, is it possible that one is caused by the other (i.e. I became a "loner" because I was an "outcast" or perhaps I became a "loner" because I didn't fit in)?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 11:47 am

I was partially a loner and partially an outcast.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:50 pm

Went with other, because I couldn't decide on Nerd, Loner, or Outcast.

I wasn't a part of any social cliques in HS, and people would often judge me for it, assuming that I was just some "stuck-up, teenage girl who thought that she was too good or better than everyone else". It's sickening to think about.

I had certain obsessions that made me seem nerdy to others, preferred to do some things on my own, and didn't give in to peer pressure by joining a certain group.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 8:42 pm

Loner. I prefer to be by myself and not be noticed. Sometimes people will see me sitting alone and offer me a seat with them, but I turn them down.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 8:30 am

I wonder? Nerds maybe?

I was definitely an outcast in middle school. But in high school I joined a group of 6 people(5 from my class, 1 from other) interested in anime, manga and RPG games. And we weren't really outcasts - our class had only 18 people in so our group was pretty big and we were quite liked.
The only bigger group were trendy (6) and third biggest were skaters (4). There was also a hipster and his delayed friend(2 friends originally, but one moved to our group in 2nd year) and 1 emo/outcast, which actually left out school in 2nd year just to return after a half of year because she experienced bullying there and realized being our outcast isn't so bad after all - bullying wasn't allowed in our class because too many people experienced bullying from the wrong end in previous schools.

All people in my group would probably be outcasts in any other school but there we fit in because together we were a strong force.
Actually about a half of our class consisted of weirdos.

WoW_Wow

25 Sep 2016, 4:31 am

Rocket123 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I was trying to figure out the difference between "loner" (which I chose) and "outcast".

Is one a 'choice' (i.e. "loner") and the other is imposed by others (i.e. "outcast")? Alternative, is it possible that one is caused by the other (i.e. I became a "loner" because I was an "outcast" or perhaps I became a "loner" because I didn't fit in)?

Yeah, I'd say that's about right. Loners simply aren't interested in other people, while outcasts want to have friends, but are actively hated by all their peers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Sep 2016, 8:52 pm

I was a dork & a loner & was kinda in the outcast category

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 9:23 pm

I was a band and orchestra geek. Even among the band and orchestra geeks, I was a loner and an outcast. I didn't become a choir geek until college.