Talented and Gifted Program?

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Were you in TAG?
Poll ended at 18 Jan 2010, 8:18 pm
Yes 42%  42%  [ 22 ]
No 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
I was home schooled, or school didn't have a gifted program 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I could have been, but opted out, and never was 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
I'm autistic, and I was in another kind of special program or school 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I'm autistic, but I was in a TAG program or other gifted program at school with non autistic children 27%  27%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 52

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2010, 12:00 pm

I wasn't in TAG at my elementary/middle school, not because I wasn't smart enough, but because to get in one of the tests was they'd describe something abstract (a circle on top of a box on top of a flower, something like that) and between my AS and my dysgraphia, which would have prevented me from drawing it even if I could visualize it well enough to do so, I pretty much failed miserably. But I was definitely smart enough, and wound up being recruited by Center for Talented Youth, which allowed me to take SATs in 7th and 8th grade (and score higher than the average high schooler taking them) and then I was eligible for CTY programs. I wound up not doing those, but did Summer Institute for the Gifted (a similar summer program to CTY, but focus on a broader variety of topics, instead of CTY where you're doing one class for the whole day). That wasn't through my school, but it was a gifted program. And in college, my SAT scores were good enough to easily get me into the Honors Program, but my High School GPA was not. Mainly because for the beginning of high school, I was slacking, before getting it together now.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 12:06 pm

Never. Despite good grades mostly in younger years I was really f*****g weird and socially ignorant, and I will assume that is why. The people that went to GT seemed oddly charismatic. Later grades I failed through school, weeeeeeeeee.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 7:25 pm

Yes.

Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2011, 2:22 pm

Yes, I was in it.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 11:06 pm

I was in a GATE program in 6th grade. It sucked because I was in there for my writing ability, but the teacher only taught advanced (at that grade level) math like algebra. I'm horrible at math, so I hated it. But on the bright side, after the math was over, we just hung out and did whatever. There were a lot of toys and games there. Best of all, I met my childhood best friend there.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

25 May 2011, 7:43 pm

Could've been, but opted out because I thought "gifted" meant "special ed". :lol:

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm

No. I'm a bit too... average. :P

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm

I don't remember there being a TAG program in school.

Growlithe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jan 2013, 5:58 pm

no cuz im ret*d

MrKnowItAll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2013, 12:19 am

When and where I went to school there was no sorting for ability. If you were too far below average, you just repeated. If you were too far above, you were expected to do sit quietly for years on end waiting for the others to catch up.

In fifth grade wanted to have me jump two grades, at least for some classes. My parents nixed it. They thought I would have problems fitting in. I sure showed them!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 1:44 am

I went to a private Baptist school and we did not have one.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

historysmystery61
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2013, 8:13 am

I wish my school had one. Growing up, I've never had the opportunities that I need. Never studied except in Spanish class(which I hated anyway) and my grades have never gone below the nineties. In fact, I think they are higher now than ever before.

My mom was ready to have me skip both first and third grade, but the teachers refused to let me. They insisted that I was socially incapable of managing. And that came years before my diagnosis.

Going into high school, I have now been nominated for all possible honors classes. At least that's good.

Memory is off-the-charts shockingly good

Sciuridae
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 6:20 pm

I only had honors classes of any sort for one year of my education before college. I was grade-skipped three times, so that might count for something, but I was mostly in normal classes because alternatives did not exist.

lacycurtains
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2013, 9:52 pm

Didn't exist when I was in school. My schoolteacher aunt once said a child like me today is what the teachers' call "severely gifted", smart enough to cause problems relating to normal kids.

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2013, 8:36 am

I'm in 3 GATE classes and one AP class at school.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 8:39 am

Severely gifted, heh. I love that expression. But it can’t be so severe if you can “cure” it with a simple lobotomy!

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.