Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Koopa-Kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2010, 6:46 pm

Hey guys its been a while since I posted here. Ive been so busy with my new cashiers job at CVS. Despite popular belief im actually not doing bad despite having mild AS. However 1 major problem has arose.

Lunches

It sounds easy enough but please hear me out. Our still is very busy and I am techincly union so like I get a 30 minute break for 6 or 8 hours, I forget. However ive rarely ever taken them because I feel bad, part of it is most likely in my head and maybe I read to much into things but the way CVS is run is theres 2 people in the store working (not counting the pharmacy, there pretty separate from us)

Anyways its 1 management person and 1 non management person. So we each have quite a few jobs to do as you could guess since there sonly 2 people. Im in charge of stocky facing photo and ringing. If its closing shift I must also clean. However I sort of get the feeling some of the management at my store slack off because they spend quite a bit of there time in the back room. Its only natural to relaz a little when no one is watching. However when ever i have asked for lunches they tell me to hurry up, so in 15 minutes i eat all I can and run back out. I hate it today I worked 9 hours and didnt work up the guts to ask for a lunch until 3, I was leaving at 4.

I just feel guilty though asking for someone to cover the front while I eat because I know they have work to do as well and my boss always is telling me to hurry up.

It also sucks I cant drink at all unless on break so my throat dries out to fast I can barley speak sometimes.

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2010, 7:09 pm

You have to start to think from a higher point of view. A good business is a business with efficient employees. An efficient employee is a rested and a well fed one.

If you keep the value of this in mind, you'll think more of making you more efficient, and less prone to micromanage the feelings of others.

PS: I'm a bit rough but let's call a cat, a cat
PS2 damn that's rough too
PS3 damn I'm ruining the efficiency of my post

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:15 pm

You are entitled to a full half-hour break, so take it. Your manager does have work to do, but part of that work is filling in on the front end while the one hourly person is taking their mandatory half-hour lunch break. The best thing to do would be to figure out what time is exactly at the mid-point of your 8-hour shift and request your lunch break then, or within a half hour either way depending on how busy things are. Naturally, you don't want to request a break in the middle of a rush, but you do want to make sure that your needs are met. You might also call back to the manager on duty about an hour or so ahead of time and let him or her know when you want to take your lunch break, so they can structure their own tasks accordingly.

Koopa-Kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2010, 7:17 pm

i wake up at 6, get to work at 6:50, one of the huge down falls of working opening is your expected to show up early. And stay until 4pm you expect me to not need to eat or drink for 9 hours? Are you mad? Im union so I was told im entitled to 1 15 minute and 1 30 minute creak for an 8 hour shift. All I want is a 30 minute lunch and while they do let me take it they make me feel like s**t for asking for it.

I love having full time hours and making a ton of $ but I liked how simple my 4 or 5 hour shifts were when I didnt have to worry about break or food.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 7:23 pm

Koopa-Kid wrote:
i wake up at 6, get to work at 6:50, one of the huge down falls of working opening is your expected to show up early. And stay until 4pm you expect me to not need to eat or drink for 9 hours? Are you mad? Im union so I was told im entitled to 1 15 minute and 1 30 minute creak for an 8 hour shift. All I want is a 30 minute lunch and while they do let me take it they make me feel like sh** for asking for it.

I love having full time hours and making a ton of $ but I liked how simple my 4 or 5 hour shifts were when I didnt have to worry about break or food.

Umm, no. I said pick the mid-point for your main lunch break, the four hour mark -- that would be around 11 am or noon. I was telling you to look after yourself and don't let them make you feel guilty, but since you've apparently decided not read my message and then jump down my throat over something I never said, you can just suit yourself.

Oh, and if this is the attitude you give your superiors, it's no wonder they're impatient with you.

Koopa-Kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2010, 9:24 pm

Oh no, //i wasnt talking to you im sorry I must have posted at the same time you did because I didnt read your post I was talking to super Aspie. I was under the impression he wanted me to not be hungry and to be more efficient. However after re-reading I may have mis-understood him too.

But yeah pschristmas I didnt even notice your post, sorry no hard feelings?

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2010, 10:50 pm

Koopa-Kid wrote:
Oh no, //i wasnt talking to you im sorry I must have posted at the same time you did because I didnt read your post I was talking to super Aspie. I was under the impression he wanted me to not be hungry and to be more efficient. However after re-reading I may have mis-understood him too.

Ah, okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was kind of tired when I posted, so I jumped to some conclusions, too. No hard feelings.

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2010, 11:02 pm

Koopa-Kid wrote:

No problemo, the idea was only for you to feel better about asking