Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2018, 9:07 pm

Does anybody have any advice on employment for someone with Asperger's?

I've tried working at grocery stores but it causes significant issues with anxiety and depression. Do some work online but it isn't consistent enough or enough pay. I do graphic design and I like doing that but the field is competitive and I'm not sure I'm good enough.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 9:10 pm

Are there any Vocational Rehab offices close to you?

If so, go to one and you'll be given all the information you want as to how VR can help you find proper employment.

I've been a VR client since last year and it has been a great help for me in finding myself work.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2018, 9:15 pm

I've worked with BVR/OOD for over 10 years. It was useful when I was looking for unskilled work and in college but has been much less useful ever since.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 9:28 pm

Learn how to market your graphic design work - build a portfolio. Do a lot of networking. Get on LinkedIn. Join some professional organizations and participate regularly.

The line is "these things are hard for autistic people" but it's what you do if you want a career you enjoy.

When just starting out, do some jobs for free (I once did a website design for a church, for instance) or for little pay, or maybe a trade of some sort. All that goes in your portfolio until you have some better things to show.

Constantly upgrade your skills. You won't be competitive if you don't. That's a reality. When just starting out, you have the time to learn more. Later on, you'll be busier but you have to make the time.

It's a plus that you have discovered a job skill that you enjoy doing. Now get busy building a career around it.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2018, 7:44 am

Anyone else have any ideas?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 8:50 am

Dennis wrote:
Anyone else have any ideas?
That depends on your education, experience, and what skills you have.

Why won't you accept what AA and Bea have said?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2018, 11:19 am

I already explained my difficulty with vocational rehab places and I never said I didn't accept it, I just want as much advice/info as possible.

I have an Associate's Degree in Simulation & Game Design and a lot of experience with Photoshop. I've done freelance work before although not much. I've done a lot more graphic design as a hobby. Took a screenprinting class last year and liked it but was told I'd need more experience when I went for a job interview and have no idea where to get that.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 2:46 pm

Dennis wrote:
was told I'd need more experience when I went for a job interview and have no idea where to get that.

Like I said, you get it by working for free, for barter, or for very low wages, or maybe you do some work on spec (they only pay you if they decide they like how it turns out). This is not something only autistic people have to do. This is something that EVERYBODY has to do. If you were canny about it, you would have taken a work-study job that uses these skills while you were still a student, and then, upon graduation, you would have had the necessary experience.

Since you didn't do that, you will need to somehow get it by working in your spare time while supporting yourself at a grocery job or whatever. Mind you, that's only if you want a job in your chosen field. If you want to let fate decide your outcome, then don't bother.