Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 3:20 pm

Been working at home Depot for over three years as a Lot Attendant. Pushing carts and loading merchandise

Another lot attendant, SU, has been working there longer than me. He wastes the majority of his shifts either on the phone or talking to other employees

He is "in" with a lot of people, some of which have termination authority

I don't understand how it is possible that nobody with termination authority has noticed or cared that SU hardly does any work whatsoever

Sometimes the head cashier tells the lot attendants to push more carts and SU is nowhere to be found

One time, SU had the nerve to bark at me "you guys need to pick this s**t up! They yelling at me!" And he stormed off in a fit of rage

The building is on video tape but the managers don't have access to the tapes. Only the loss prevention has access to the tapes to look for illegal activity

Sometimes I wonder if SU is on drugs or something. He acts so ADHD.

If I tattle on him, I fear he will take out revenge on me. Or that if I tattle on him, I will get made redundant

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2023, 3:08 pm

Paretto Principle - if you're part of the 20%, it's better to work for yourself.

And please don't use the 'ADHD' excuse. A lot of people blame a whole list of things on ADHD that are just crappy personality/attitude.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2023, 7:56 am

This is not really your business. It's the job of management and HR to assess how well he's doing at his job. You bringing him down isn't going to bring you up.

Focus on yourself. Focus on being better at your job. Focus on updating your resume and applying to better jobs.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 8:03 am

Talking on the phone can be hard work!
Being able to talk to a clueless customer and figuring out what they want can be very valuable work.
Even better is being able to calm down an angry customer just by talking to them.

He could be a manager who isn't paid for being a manager. He'd make a lot more money. Think about that.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 4:52 pm

Not much you can do besides do you your job and ignore them. Unless you have to work Together to complete something, then all you can do is ask for their assistance pulling their own weight to complete a task and hope for the best.

If management blames you for something not being completed during your shift, simply point out what you Did complete in that time and that it's a reasonable amount of work to have been completed since you focus on doing your job and suggest that if some things weren't completed that perhaps someone else in the department didn't complete as much as they ought to have and leave it at that. If they ask who, tell them you don't know - you were busy doing your job, but perhaps management should investigate and find out. That way you're not naming them or throwing them (and yourself) under the bus, but making it clear and obvious that you were working and did your job so if something isn't done it wasn't because of you and they need to look elsewhere. Shouldn't take them long to solve the mystery.

And if management doesn't complain and it just irks you that this person gets away with doing much less, oh well, shrug it off just do your think and collect your paycheque and don't worry about it too much because there's nothing you can say or do that's going to change it that won't ultimately come back to bite you in the ass. Just do your job and consider it a paid workout, punch out and go home. If the other person is slacking, they won't get the physical benefits of the workout you get. Can't change management picking favourites and allowing someone to slack off.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 5:34 pm

Goldfish

Your post has a good point

I don't have the moral or legal "right" or physical strength, to stop the Lot Attendant SU from having sex with the boss

Everyone has subconscious biases

"At will" employer. If I tattle on Lot Attendant SU, for all I know, maybe the boss will make my worthless corpse redundant. There is no way to know, what would happen if I tattle on him

Having the moral high road, does not prevent home Depot from making my worthless corpse redundant.

Besides, if Lot Attendant SU gets made redundant, that is a tiny lil good thing, for me.

If I get made redundant, that could result in me becoming homeless or something. A really large bad thing

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 5:49 pm

Yes.. self preservation takes priority. Tread lightly. Do your job. Let management figure out who isn't doing their job w/o explicitly telling them.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 11:44 pm

Goldfish

The lot attendant that hardly does any work, has been working at home Depot for seven years and counting

Longer than me, three years

If he was going to get made redundant, he already would have done so

Managers don't know or care that SU hardly does anything

Managers might be too busy to notice

Or SU is having sex with the manager

Besides sometimes I need help loading heavy merchandise and SU is going around flapping his trap at other slaves

Then I feel like I have to load the whole thing by myself

And then it's too heavy, I drop it, and then injury

It's a nightmare waiting to keep happening

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 12:15 am

Esme wrote:
Paretto Principle - if you're part of the 20%, it's better to work for yourself.

And please don't use the 'ADHD' excuse. A lot of people blame a whole list of things on ADHD that are just crappy personality/attitude.

Esme

Yesterday SU told another associate that SU had spent time in prison. Yes, I know home Depot hires convicted felons and convicted felons have "rights". (Fine). But I just feel so uncomfortable around SU. Sometimes something is too heavy and I don't ask SU for help because I am afraid he might say that I said something wrong or whatever so I ask other associates that are not lot attendants.

But yes, ADHD or not, SU has a "crappy attitude/personality". Half his shifts he's at the picnic table or on the phone and tattletale tom doesn't bother him because they are "in". SU goes around bothering other people, even managers. Maybe he's having sex with the boss.

Some precious lil "people" act all "buddy -buddy" but then the second they think you did something wrong they act like Dr Jekyll and mister Hyde

Especially at home Depot

Annoying lil dipshits truly believe that they have a moral right to be happy at all times and any time they are not happy, it proves someone's violated their stupidass "rights"

f**k SU

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2024, 5:00 am

>I don't understand how it is possible that nobody with termination authority has noticed or cared that SU hardly does any work whatsoever

They have. They're letting him skate by anyway due to some combination of who he knows, what he knows, or because it's too much hassle for them to actually do anything about it.

Alternatively, he's experienced enough to know exactly how to look (to them) like he's working without actually doing anything most of the time.

If you're not experienced enough to know how to do this, don't try emulating him. You'll miss some aspect that he keeps carefully maintained, and saying "But he does it!" won't save you.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2024, 8:37 pm

"They have. They're letting him skate by anyway due to some combination of who he knows, what he knows, or because it's too much hassle for them to actually do anything about it.

Alternatively, he's experienced enough to know exactly how to look (to them) like he's working without actually doing anything most of the time."

This. Unfortunately, the office gossip tends to get rewarded in many places as they make sure they are tight with the right people and have no issue lying, backstabbing and throwing competition under the bus in order to appear loyal. If you get an insecure boss, they will encourage that behaviour as it benefits them in the short term. Having your employees fight it out is a lazy but easy way to keep control. In the long run it creates a company full of toxic people who thrive in that environment and eventually turn on the boss, since they are only loyal to the money and not the person handing it out. But people rarely think that far ahead.

Either accept it for what it is, find another job, or go it alone. But trying to change things will likely fail and just cause you more stress.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 10:37 pm

Dial 1194

Yes, if I tried emulating him, I would miss the "aspect that he keeps carefully maintained", that he is having sex with the boss. Things are not always the way they appear. "At will" employer. Home Depot can do anything it wants, legal or illegal, and nobody can do anything about it, short of winning a civil lawsuit. Just because Coworker SU is a cisgender white male, and I am not, does not mean it is racism, sexism, homophobia, or discrimination, when he gets away with doing something and I do not. The difference in treatment has to be *because* he is a cisgender white male. But he just *happens* to be a cisgender white male. Sometimes lawsuits take over two years, some lawyers charge $600 hour, and the outcome is not guaranteed. Furthermore, Home Depot has its own lawyers.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Esme:

Other jobs might be even worse in that way or any other way. I won't know until I work there.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2024, 11:09 pm

minervx

your statement is correct. however, other jobs could be worse in different ways, and there is no way to know if they are better or worse until i have worked there for a while. you can't measure quality.

yesterday, Lot/plumbing/hardware Attendant SU told Front End Supervisor MA, that he wanted to have a baby with her and that he was claiming the baby for taxes, because he is head of household. MA did not react negatively. Home Depot has a policy against "fraternizing", but I find it hard to imagine they enforce it.

when two vermin have sex, i do not have the physical strength, legal right, or moral right, to do anything about it. exception: in some situations, i might be able to spray them with a garden hose.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 9:16 pm

Update:

Have not seen SU for a couple of weeks. He could have changed schedules or locations.

Today, a coworker told me that SU was late for work and phoned another slave and asked the slave to clock in for him and the slave snitched on SU and SU got made redundant.

Thank Buddha

This is the best thing that reasonably could have happened to me, s**t

And I didn't even have to snitch on him myself

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2024, 9:52 pm

Nice!

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2024, 5:26 am

Karma gets everyone in the end! It's why I never bother with revenge. The universe tends to sort itself out in the long run. :mrgreen: