What's The Worst Job You Ever Had?

Page 4 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

zlain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2010, 12:57 pm

working in the production department (warehouse) at a goodwill, (it was actually part of a College funded Autism/AS training program)

my supervisor and most of the people i worked with would bug me about how hardly ever talked or said anything, most of the time

when i worked with my supervisor in her area she would always have the radio set on this country music station which would basically play the same songs over & over for weeks at a time, that got to be really brain-numbing after a while.
at one point there was this african american woman aggressively hitting on me, that really made me feel uncomfortable (and i'm white!)

i was there for about a year before i left to get a better job

coralbell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2010, 9:32 pm

That would have to be the bridal registry/fine tableware store where I worked for these two manager/owners who were like the women from Ab Fab. After work, I would go home to watch Ab Fab - so therapeutic.

bigdave
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2010, 10:02 pm

I had a job at King Soopers that I seriously hated and I quit the same day I started. I was hired on to stock the shelves and unload freight from the trucks and when I got there for my first day they told me they didn't have the position I was hired on for. They had me sit in an office and do all the BS training on the computer and watching the videos. I worked in the store for maybe 3 or 4 hours and the only thing they wanted me to do was make sure everything was faced. Making sure that the label on every box, can, bottle or anything else in the store was facing forward. I clocked out for the day and didn't show up the next day. I didn't feel like it was even worth my time to let them know I was quitting. I got a paycheck in the mail a week later for 60 bucks or something.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 2:28 am

Hardware tester on the original Xbox. The job was to press the open button, put in a game, press the close button, let the machine load, and put a check in a box if it had an error. That was the whole job, 8 hours a day of opening and closing an Xbox...

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 5:45 pm

Oh that's an easy one. I had a job working in a fabric store. I can't cut a straight line to save my life(my fine motor skills suck) and guess what so did my personality skills. SO out the door I went and guess what the chemicals from the fabrics were making me sick.

PrisonerZero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2010, 1:55 pm

I haven't had many jobs, and my first wasn't until my early twenties.

The first one was at a temp agency, which didn't know where to place me because, in addition to (possibly) having asperger's I also have some extreme learning disabilities. Anyway, they gave me an address for what they told me was a 'small gray building'. I arrived at the address on time, but I couldn't find a 'small gray building' anywhere. Long story short, I gave up looking and went home and called the agency, it turned out that the business was in a huge brick building I had been walking around for a half hour. When i finally got there I arrived FOUR HOURS LATE. The woman from the temp agency was angry with me.

Eventually, they sent me to an appliance/electronics shop to unload merchandise from huge tractor trailers.
The forty-five minutes that I was there I mostly stood around watching other guys do the work because I felt like I was just in the way. I feel that way a lot.

The next one I had was a summer job as a janitor at a high school. I felt humiliated because everybody else in that program was younger than me. Also I don't like janitorial work.

A year after that I got a job assembling tvs. The thing was the job was in a city nearly 100 miles away. I can't drive, so I had to get a bus.
Unfortunately, the bus didn't go all of the way to the city, so I had to walk about 20 miles. At night. On the side of an interstate. The company paid for workers rooms at a small hotel/motel and all meals. The pay was fairly good, but I couldn't stand it for long, because I had to share a room. I quit after a week.

About a year or two after that, I started working at an antique mall. This was the longest and most enjoyable job I've ever had, though I still hated parts of it. I had to assist customers with finding items, and answer questions. I never felt comfortable there because most of the customers were morons that I could never please, no matter what I did. And then I got laid off.

Kurisutiin_Suwein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2010, 11:09 am

I had one job where my employers appeared not to have read their job advert, description, their own rules on how pretty much anything should be done or employment law. (I'd rather not give too many clues where because it's a rather tightly-knit industry). As such:

- the job proved to be very much not as described (or indeed completable by over 95% of the people who would have met the criteria the employer stated). I've seen milder versions "feature creep" in jobs before, but at least the half-dozen other places which have done it admitted it in either the interview or the extended version of the job advert and thus saved all involved some stress

- the staff training advice given turned out to be contradictory to what was permitted by other staff at the workplace (even though they too had supposedly attended the same course)

- promised training did not happen and the managers couldn't even settle on an excuse as to why (some of the proposed reasons were illegal, others were more plausible)

- several important items of paperwork arrived months late, some were claimed to have been approved by me when I hadn't seen them and most of the performance reviews (most people had 1 per year, new recruits were meant to have 1 every 3 months, I had 1 every 3 weeks) had major misrepresentations and obvious errors in the write-up (for example, a 100% attendence record was deemed "barely adequate" when it was a better record than the people who'd administered the document (and presumably considered their own attendance adequate)).

- there were three occasions when a legally-trained person was sent in for various reasons and on all three of them I had to correct that individual on points of law (I thought law was meant to be the job of legally-trained people...)

- pay was months late arriving (some of it is still due and the job ended well over a year ago - legal processes have failed on account of an apparent inability of the legal system to even acknowledge correspondence from me) and not to other people. Again, the managers could not settle on a reason as to why this happened

- I was verbally assaulted by the staff twice and the witnesses pretended it didn't happen even though it was very clear on CCTV

- I was forbidden access to the requisite reporting structures to protest the behaviour of other staff

- the company told me it would lie on my reference, even though that's illegal, and worded it in a way that indicated they neither knew nor cared about the legality of that action - but then who in their right mind would request a reference off an employer who had done the above?

The only good thing that happened in that job was that I discovered I was good enough at the type of work that people's impression of the organisation improved after I'd dealt with them - provided that I didn't get verbally assaulted while serving them. I got a reputation as the only one who knew how to do certain key tasks and since my colleagues refused all offers of assistance in those tasks, I have to conclude that the reduction in opinion of the organisation that happened after I left was partly because of me leaving.

If any employers are reading this, please realise that simply because we have bad experiences at some workplaces doesn't mean we can't be a big benefit to them, let alone an organisation that is enlightened enough to put us in the right environment doing the work each of us is good at.

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 12:10 pm

I worked at a grocery store while I was a senior in high school. My mother had tipped off to the supervisors and HR manager that I had Asperger's. Which meant: I got the lowest jobs on the totem pole. Jobs usually reserved for the mentally disabled or native Polish speakers. Often bagging groceries, sometimes emptying out the bottle machines, and most of the time pushing shopping carts in the parking lot.

I was the one often stuck in the parking lot duty when it was less than ideal weather outside - hot, cold, snow, rain... I was the one out there. Very few times for the sunny and 60s/70s.

RichardP

18 Apr 2010, 2:01 am

I've had so many lousy jobs during the course of my long life.

But one stands head and shoulders among the rest.

I was seventeen years old and a day laborer for Manpower Personnel Services.

They assigned me for a day to work at Teddy's Frozen Fish, a nearby assembler of frozen fish TV Dinners.

The place was ice cold. Everybody was wearing winter coats in the middle of summer.

They tried me out in the warehouse shoveling piles of frozen fish on the floor into bins or boxes, but it was so cold and I couldn't stop shivering so they moved me to the assembly putting fish in plates as they rapidly moved in from of the assemblers. Somebody stood with me for a short time instructing me and demonstrating how the work should be done. I also watched the other workers mostly women do the job. After they set me to work alone I couldn't keep up and the noise of the machine, the cold, and the speed of the machine totally frazzled me. After a few more minutes I fainted and was carried along by the machine forcing them to shut down the line. I took an ambulance ride to the local hospital to be checked out. Suffice it to say I never worked there again or on any assembly line from that point on.

Rich

"The purpose of the physician is to entertain the patient whilst the disease runs its inevitable course." -Voltaire

Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AT) Test: 46

Broad Autism Phenotype Test: 132 aloof, 114 rigid, 99 pragmatic

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 9:45 pm

Working at Chick-fil-a. I worked in the back (fell and landed flat on my back once, cut my hand once), in the drive through, and as a cashier (didn't realize how bad I am at making change). I don't think I'll ever work in food again. I only worked a month, around Thanksgiving until right before Christmas I guess. I quit because I was admitted to the hospital and found out I had a brain condition. I don't think my boss believed me when I told her that's why I had to quit, but oh well :roll: My friends gave me so much grief about working there for such a short time...geez, none of them had jobs or a new-found brain disease, leave me alone! I think I made a little over $40 working there for around a month......:ncool:

ubdh6
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2010, 8:50 pm

I had a great job in a little BBQ Chicken Takeaway joint - but is was a casual position and there wasn't enough hours available to pay the bills. So I left when I got a full-time job as a general hand at an offset printery.

When I started there I quickly discovered that I was at the bottom of the s**t heap and the butt of a few practical jokes. Of course I took it all seriously because I didnt pick up that they were having a lend of me. For example, they told me that a bucket of ink needed to be stired but the machine that does it was broken and the only other way it could be done was with my bare hands. Wanting to impress I did it without question - my arm was green nearly to my shoulder for almost a week.

They got me to work on a project which was to small to run on the offset press. I spent two weeks standing at a photocopier it was crap but I was determined to do a good job. When I had finished the copying the owner's wife came in and collated a copy - she then checked that everything was in order, but she found a mistake. The next day about 6 people I didnt know (friends of the owner) came in and they went through and collated all of my copies and picked out every mistake. I got the sack at the end of the day.

I found out a few months later that they had only ever intended to employ me for the two weeks it took for that project and that my work had been sabotajed so that they had an excuse to fire me. The sad thing was that my previous position at the takeaway had been filled. I ended up on the dole.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 8:38 pm

As a resident of Mass, I worked at the Mass Dept of Conservation and Recreation as a summer laborer during summer 2005. I cleaned up parks and streets and cut the grass.

The worst parts of the job was that I had to dump trash into the garbage truck. Whenever I did this, I was exposed to this unbearable pungent smell of garbage which made me want to spit and vomit.

Also, I would do some cleaning in this little house near the headquarters and clean this toilet which was filled with fecal matter and yellow piss. I would always ask myself "Why the hell can't anyone flush this damn toilet?" I never liked cleaning unflushed toilets in small public bathrooms.

Reverie
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2010, 2:15 am

I guess working in this clothing store as a stocker. I was the only male employee, and had to unload the truck that delivered merchandise by myself. I wouldn't had minded so much if I wasn't rushed, it wasn't too fun. I was being paid below minimum wage, and I just feel like they really took advantage of me while I was working there. Summer, and no air-conditioning in the back room where I worked really got to me. They made me do the work they were suppose to be doing, because I guess they were too lazy or knew I wouldn't dispute them.

My hand started going numb after a while, I guess from lifting things and repetitive actions (Hanged clothes for hours.) I eventually got fed up, and just quit. :(

Repent
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2010, 6:20 pm

Where to begin, I graduated from high school in 1988, I average 2 jobs a year for a while, recently I've been able to hold down jobs for about 3 1/2 years. I hated them all, 25 or so in all. Some recent situations:

Fired after 5 days as a dispatcher for a maintenance company- they said I didn't fit in with the team. Interesting that they could figure that out after only 5 days.

Quit driving a 5 ton truck, after my supervisor threatened to 'Kick my *&^%$# head in' because I made a mistake. Was so upset, I thought of driving my truck into a power substation and ending my life- fiqured quiting was a better choice.

After 3 1/2 years of daily harassment, the sales manager of the trucking company I worked for shouted at me 'We've got a little Aspie here in the office!', refering to me before I knew what an 'Aspie' was, or that I had Aspergers.

Quit a job after 3 1/2 years. They had me on salary with mandatory overtime. If you were to divide the hours I worked into my wage, they had me for less than minimum wage. Got tired of 12, 15, 17 hour days; for 28 K a year.

21 other 'jobs I hated most' for the other 21 jobs I've had. (Currently unemployed for 18 months, the longest I've ever been out of work).

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 7:58 am

I worked for almost 2 weeks for a liquidation company that bought lots of random crap at auctions and I had to try to sell it to stores like family dollar. I was terrible at it, and it paid by comission. I just showed what we had and when they'd say "I don't want any of that crap" I'd leave. The others sales people all laughed at me because apparently I'm supposed to make people realize they wanted lots of cheap crap.

Eleo
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2010, 11:31 pm

I've only had two jobs and I hated both of them perhaps equally. One was retail and the other was Starbucks. I am no good at selling things to people or pushing promotions, so that was extremely forced and awkward to me. I was no good at handling coffee orders either, and the pressure from customers was overwhelming. That was all during 2005 in the span of less than six months. I haven't had a job since, and haven't really looked for one either. I've considered disability income, but I can't convince myself that it's right to go that route, and frankly would find it to be a little embarrassing; not to say that being unemployed for practically 6 years isn't.