What's The Worst Job You Ever Had?

Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 4:24 am

All 7 of mine, and I could never keep them longer than 2 years.

I guess I have trouble learning in the same way as other people. It seems in most working places everything is fast paced and requires a lot of multi-tasking as well as good or decent enough social skills. I've been held back in so many things that I no longer feel confident in getting a job that actually pays for a living. :(

ray_s1981
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2010, 4:56 pm

I´ve worked in fast food, as a stock boy, a marine, and a technician. I hated all those occupations but currently hate my current job as a technician the most. The other jobs I was at least aloud to interact with co-workers which really helps in lifting depression, even if they don´t really care about me.

At my current job I spend all my time in the corner of a building working as a repair tech for fixing returned devices used in MRIs. Troubleshooting is not something that bothers me, it´s something I do all the time when creating electronics as a hobby, but everything else about my job does. I´ve been in this corner, which is purposely separated from the more populated areas of the company so any visitors that take a tour don´t see the failed products, by myself for a year. They recently brought someone else from manufacturing into my department to also work as a repair tech but out of all the people that applied for the position they selected the most quiet guy that applied. He doesn´t hold conversations and I definitely don´t have the energy to keep a conversation going by myself. It´s like the managers don´t want any conversations at all and expect us to behave as automatons. This expectation applies to the entire company, people are way too serious here. Believe it or not, being in the marines was (usually) more laid back.

Other people that I talk to on occasion there only seem to talk to me when I approach them, they almost never approach me. I know that they could care less if something happened to me. Communicating in general is frowned upon at this company so I´m sure that´s part of the problem.

And then there´s the environment. Bright cool-white fluorescent lighting everywhere. If it was warmer it would be better but this cool-white seems to drain the color out of everything in some subtle way I can´t articulate. Then again, most of the environment consists of various shades of gray and lots of right angle geometry. I´m not a big fan of uncreative symmetry. Of course, I´m the only one that notices. They recently installed this same kind of lighting on our workbenches and they wonder why I never use mine. There are no windows where I´m at, only artificial lighting. The entire company is very open, only a few walls so I´m always exposed, I can never really relax. Constant sounds from exhaust fans and HVAC systems are always present but don´t seem to bother me that much. Listening to head phones while working is not aloud because it doesn´t look ¨professional¨. That does bother me. I hate arbitrary little rules like that. The company is very political and sucks up to high individuals in large companies and government all the time. The Ohio governor has visited twice since I start working there. Lots of cameras and people. Sometimes we have to take group photos with these higher-ups.

They recently recruited me into an engineering project. This means lots of meetings and, therefore, anxiety attacks. Sometimes they want me to meet people representing outside resources for this project. I´ve not shown any interest in this project since the first meeting since the project seems to equate to anxiety. All the engineers seem to be very outgoing and sociable, this is not what I expected. I´m considering changing careers, maybe something art related since I love creating in general.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 6:32 pm

The worse job that I've had, was tying bows around chocolates, at a chocolate factory. That was a very hard job.

ambi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2010, 10:28 pm

My only job was at target and get this - my only training was reading a manual, they didn't even teach me how to load groceries, I was as slow as molasses (they checked our speed and I never was high enough), and I didn't realize if someone asks where something is and I don't know I'm supposed to find out, not just walk away (the customer complained about me :(

I was then moved to the sales floor where I didn't know how to fold clothes, the only person who ever talked to me was nearly double my age, and I once cried in the shoe aisle because I was reprimanded for not helping customers right. I was fired after only 3 months and I believed them when they said it was because of the economy and they'd consider hiring me again. I didn't realize that's a load of bullcrap until someone told me.

Growing up in a very structured home my AS wasn't as obvious until I tried to do things everyone else did fine and I utterly failed at.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2010, 12:46 am

Worked for a tree service clearing land for new housing complexes. Worst experience of my life. Before I quit I even contemplated what it would be like to throw myself into the wood chipper. I can't believe I even lasted a week.

WeatherFreak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 May 2010, 10:12 am

Refuse worker , one day is all i could take.....

Oh the stench :oops:

NathansMommy
Raven
Raven

25 May 2010, 4:35 pm

I have had two jobs that tie for being the worst. The first job I ever had was at a burger place when I was 16 years old. The boss was a huge jerk. He was genuinely mean. He had a very thick accent of some sort and was really jumpy. A bunch of teenagers worked for him and he would call us all stupid and things like that in front of customers. He would insult his workers constantly and made work just miserable. He even made me cry (never at work, but when I went home) because he was so mean to me. I lasted about two weeks there and never went back.

The other was working front office for an electrical/wiring company. My "boss" (supervisor, maybe) was the previous front office person. She was promoted and I guess that gave her some sort of power trip. She would tell me I didn't work fast enough or efficiently, and she would literally get on me for going one minute over my lunch break, however it was fine for her to take 2 or 3 hour breaks and lunches without telling anyone. She had been their much longer than me and everyone knew and liked her, so I couldn't complain to anyone. That is the only job I was ever fired from. I should have known something wasn't right when right after I was hired, my "boss" said something along the line of "Well I hope you last longer than the last girl. She quit after a week". Now I know why.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 1:57 am

Scubbing 6'x4' copper 1/4" plates with a diluted acid. I guess they were going to use them for naval communication antenas. The temp place sent me there told me the chemicals I would be using were no stronger than windex. Pshhhh, they had me mixing acids with water the first day. They had an acid vapor cloud that looked like the regular fog that was in the wet work areas so this Pueto Rican guy accidently walked in the middle of it. It hit like the tear gas we had to go in when I was in basic training. The regular workers there thought it was the funniest stuff ever. They were saying that stuff will take the nappy out of his hair. The temp service would not let me quit the place so I had to get fired so they would give me a new job. So I just walked around or walked the sevem eleven next door doing nothing all day so I would get fired it took me three days to do it.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2010, 2:06 am

ambi wrote:
Growing up in a very structured home my AS wasn't as obvious until I tried to do things everyone else did fine and I utterly failed at.

I know what your talking about, every job I did I did it perfectly except I was slow as hell. What sucked for me was at every job I ever had there was some jerk I went to school with who told everyone I was in special education classes so everyone thought I was a little ret*d or mentally slow, In some ways it paid off but it was so demeaning,

stych
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2010, 4:35 am

i worked for a company called built right trailers, i quit after the fist day. a 9 hour shift and i was given only one 15 minute off the clock lunch break. i was fabricating trailers for pickup trucks from scratch in a freezing cold work enviroment.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 2:25 pm

My first job in laundry. It was ok at first. Wash bed sheets, cloths, and bed pads, diapers, and so forth as fast as you can get them done, because they needed most of these things right away. They then got this new guy who didn't do everything, or he cleaned everything, never putting it away so the nursing home residents could have their cloths. :x During one month I worked there out of that one year, I would go in and work double shifts, getting payed for one five hour shift and not the two shifts I worked.

Took one break for lunch, two bathroom breaks, working from 7am in the moring to 11pm at night. I said "yes/ok". (I worked there for a year. Usualy the morning shift till noon. One month during this job I did doubles from 7am-11pm. Just clarifying, so I don't get suspected mockery repeated to me.)

What actualy urked me was the CNAs just kept bugging me about having to rince the pads and diapers before dumping it in the ben for me to deal with. :? They were clearly supposed to rince them! Not me. I don't know. Seeing those pile of cloths clean but not put away, and knowing when I walk in in the morning, and the residents are dirty or nekade, must have started my distast in the job, and the little things added to it. :shrug:

On the plus side, I'm so glad that I could afford getting that horrible, gigantic wart off my left heal back then! I certainly don't miss it! It was getting kind of painful back there. *rubs the spot it was* ...... -.- great... it's starting to grow back... #$%

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 6:32 am

I once had a job on the phone lines where we had to give tarot card readings to callers. It was such a rip off! We had a script and our priority was to keep them on the call for as long as possible (our pay was dictated by our call times). Anyway lots of people (mostly women) would be calling and we would just have to bullsh*t them for as long as we could. If they were on the phone for an hour (lots of them were) we had to cut them off! The reason being that the call charges dropped after an hour and so we would want them to call us back and start a new call!! !! ! How snide is that?

Anyway I could only do it for about 4 or 5 weeks before I felt too much of a conscience because my job simply involved deceiving people who were in an unhappy state. Most of the calls were from women who were worried about the man in their life. And we had to play on that and keep them on the phone at 50p a minute.

I swear as well that nobody in the office knew anything about tarot cards!! ! I didn't.

NathansMommy
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2010, 1:22 pm

Robdemanc - That sounds awful! I always knew those call in psychic lines were a huge scam, but I didn't know how the reps knew what to say. Did they actually tell you how to answer questions that people would ask or did you just have to wing it and totally make stuff up off the top of your head?

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2010, 8:07 pm

Working as a stock boy for a super market, the worst part was taking out the garbage! i passed out every time i had to go. you needed a hazmat suit just to go near it. and i cut my finger on a broken coke bottle.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 9:07 pm

The one I have now, one raise every three years. :x

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."