Do you mention LD or autism disorders??

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 6:08 pm

I'm in the process of looking for a new job. At the interview, should I mention LD and aspergers? OR do I wait till I get hired and tell my supervisor on the first day of work?

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 6:53 pm

I wouldn't mention it in my CV (or resumé as they call them in America), because I think that could possibly prejudice someone before the interview. However, I would always bring it up in the interview, and always starting with the positive stuff. For example, in my own case, "I am autistic and one of the advantages is that I pay attention to detail and can edit and format documents very well, and also categorise information appropriately. This helps me a lot when writing proposals."

If someone were to then ask if my autism has disadvantages too, I would explain my sensory sensitivities as an example of some of the negative aspects, and I would also explain what I do to cope with that. If they don't ask, I would add it on as well, to give balance, and so that they can know that I like to be open and sincere.

I know many others will disagree, and say that you shouldn't mention anything at all. I think not saying anything is dishonest and deliberately misleading, and as an employer myself, I would be extremely annoyed if someone didn't tell me something important like that. One guy didn't tell us he was epileptic, so when he had a fit we thought he had taken crystal meth! It is difficult to understand, support or help an employee who isn't being straight with you. As an employer you also can't help someone to be better at his job if you are using methods which wouldn't be suitable to an aspie. For years I was in trouble for ADHD-related behaviour, before I was diagnosed. Now we use my ADHD to our advantage at work, and have strategies to keep me productive.

I guess in America it would probably be best to mention Asperger's instead of autism; I prefer to say autism for various quirky reasons. Also, I would say I have an Asperger's neurotype rather than Asperger's Disorder. Not all of this is disorder after all. Most of my neurology is an advantage in my work.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 7:03 pm

I wasn't sure what you meant by LD. Is that an abbreviation for "Learning Dirder"? If so, I would certainly not use that term. I do not have a learning disorder. I just learn differently from some other people. I was the top student in my class from the age of 7 to the age of 17, and after that I was the second best in class. I also like to dance and people who have seen me dance sometimes think I am a professional choreographer. Yet I struggle to follow dance sequences in dance classes such as hip-hop or salsa lessons, and learn better if I can do so in my own way. This is not a disorder, in my opinion. It's just a difference.

Now, when it comes to my sensory-overload meltdowns, now THAT, I believe, is a disorder. And the fact that it is now 2 a.m. and I must be up at 5, and I can't sleep even after having taken melatonin -- that is a disorder as well, as far as I am concerned.

emc2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2010, 8:00 pm

IF you disclose a diagnosis/label

they have different contexts in different cultures around the world

Here in Australia,

If you said learning difficulty or learning disability it would be taken as you are fairly NT but have a few difficulties or you approach tasks in a different way.

in contrast

Overseas in some countries, saying you have a learning disability might mean you have intellectual problems.

Another one that is ok is saying you have Anxiety, because most people can relate to that here.

So ask other people about how they perceive something before using different terms.