Never had an "actual job" but wonder if this is a

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 4:13 pm

I know I need to get a job this summer for work experience & to keep busy between the semesters. But besides the fact my area doesn't have much available employment (I'll apply in my area anyways) I can't drive. My mom suggested I could possibly (not sure how likely) get a job at her school or with my stepmom (her partner). Based on the fact people are being laid off where my stepmom works & my mom's school now only allows employees (besides her & a few others) to work 4 days a week, both seem unlikely. But I have a feeling I'd be more likely to get hired at my mom's school b/c they need people to help with the kids. Its a school for mostly autistic kids (preschool or kindergarten to age 21) with major behavioral issues. The closest thing I've done to this was help my mom run an acro (tumbling) class for disabled kids (mostly nonverbal autistic boys at one point) when she had her own business. My mom's main concern is not liking the idea of me dealing with kids with toileting issues. I honestly don't know if I'm the worst choice for this kind of job or not (I think I'd have to try it out to see how it goes, but I don't like the idea of guinea pigging (using) autistic kids). Not sure what I should do (this is hypothetical right now b/c me getting hired anywhere is pretty unlikely).

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 6:57 pm

Perhaps you could volunteer at an old folks home or animal shelter? If it's only for work experience, then something like that would look great on your CV (just no money :( )

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 7:56 pm

I need work experience for sure & money b/c otherwise I'll have to budget on my x-mas, b-day & other gift money only. If I can only volunteer, that's what I'll do.