yes! 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
NO! 89%  89%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 27

Shivan
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2010, 9:44 am

Yupa wrote:
Do NOT tell them you have Asperger's Syndrome.
If the business knows you have any kind of psychiatric disorder they will NOT, I repeat, will NOT hire you. The business world is very conservative and has a limited understanding of psychiatric disorders. The general assumption will be that if you have any kind of behavioral or psychiatric disorder it may cause you to become incompetent and/or you may have problems on the job. Not saying you will, just saying that this is what your potential employer would think.

Advice: Act normal, don't mention anything "different" about you that could be perceived as a negative (trust me, Asperger's is one of those things). On the job keep it on a stringent "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" basis. If it does cause problems for you at work talk it over with a psychiatrist and (as one person suggested) human resoruces, but do not ever let your boss know about it.

This is absolutely the best advise there is for any AS working. Try to remember that a lot of NT's have social problems. Check to see if your state has a Employment Development Department. If they do, chances are that they have tools that can help you land a job. I know that our office in No. CA will help you with job searches, resumes and will practice interviewing with you. I know it's hard to interview, but the more you practice, the more confident you'll seem to the interviewer. Good Luck and hang in there. 8)