I have found a perfectly suitable job for me, but chances...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 12:33 pm

...are I probably won't get it. (Damn, a great big long box for the title and it only let's you write a small title :roll: !)

My personal employment advisor has found the exact job I wanted, not so much the job but the hours are perfect: 15 hours a week, three days a week, 9am to 2pm. That is roughly what I have been looking for, and it is a cleaning job too, which is fine for me because I've found I am better with physical work than social work like dealing with the public. At least with this cleaning job I will be left alone to just get on with it. And it is part time aswell, which is what I wanted, and the hours aren't spread out either, so I get full days off to myself to do other things I need to do.

I'm just hoping I will get it, but I am in competition with about 6-8 other people, and I don't know what their CVs are or what sort of people they are. But I do think I should be given a chance, because I am 22 and haven't had a paid job before in my life, and I need to start somewhere. I've been doing voluntary work for the last 4 years but I'm getting fed up with working for nothing now, I do need a paid job. Plus I hate going to the job centre, especially when my personal employment advisor isn't there and I got to see one of the others in there who are strict and aren't so understanding. And I've been forced to go to another place once a month, a long bus ride away where I'm unfamiliar with, and it makes me anxious so somebody's got to go with me, and I know it's once a month but it comes round so quick and I'm fed up with it. I just want this job, but I bet I won't get it.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 12:40 pm

best of luck. if not this job, you'll get another. never give up.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 1:14 pm

I have done cleaning jobs before and they really don't care about your CV as such. The most important thing for a job like that is reliability. A lot of people in these sorts of jobs are not reliable at all and they are late, don't show up, or get deported (all of these have happened at places I have worked). If you can show that you are reliable and enthusiastic that will count for a lot.

Also in some jobs not having a lot on your CV can be quite positive. Sometimes people are loathe to give a job to someone that appears over qualified because they presume that as soon as a better job offer comes in, the employee will leave.

Of course you are an intelligent person, you are only applying for this sort of job because you have no experience and you don't cope so well socially.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good Luck!