Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

stevie
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2006, 10:41 pm

Isn't there any way to escape work place harassment? I got sick of being harassed in shops where I worked so I became a truck driver so I didn't have to work around people. Now I'm harassed at the places I deliver and pick up at. They mock me, belittle me, write graffiti about me in the bathroom. They do all of this very subtle as not to get in trouble. I thought I would escape this when i got out of high school but apparantly these idiots never grow up. Oh. how I would love to grab one and beat the tar out of them or run over their vehicles with my truck but I have a family to support and cannot risk any jail time. Any one else have the same problem at work?

parts
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2006, 9:52 am

stevie wrote:
Isn't there any way to escape work place harassment? I got sick of being harassed in shops where I worked so I became a truck driver so I didn't have to work around people. Now I'm harassed at the places I deliver and pick up at. They mock me, belittle me, write graffiti about me in the bathroom. They do all of this very subtle as not to get in trouble. I thought I would escape this when i got out of high school but apparantly these idiots never grow up. Oh. how I would love to grab one and beat the tar out of them or run over their vehicles with my truck but I have a family to support and cannot risk any jail time. Any one else have the same problem at work?

I've had the same problem with work just try and keep your cool. Maybe get one of those small tapeless recorders catch them show there boss. I had a thrapist that use to say "well your out of high school grown ups don't make fun of each other" don't know what world he lived in but it was not mine :x

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2006, 6:51 pm

The sad fact is that some grown ups do make fun of others and, in some cases, they can be worse than the kids back at school. In my situation, I actually left my last workplace (now Im looking for another job) as I was actually bullied and isolated for not partaking with the bullying of someone else. Some people are sick minded and I had to walk away from that one because to go there every day made me feel and be physically sick. Is there any way of changing who you deliver to? Its a shame that people like this don't all have one big neck, cos if they did you could choke the life out of all of them, all at once!

theman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: Oklahoma...... where the men are men and the sheep run scared.

20 Mar 2006, 8:07 pm

What do they tease you about stevie?

I get teased at work continuously, especially about my stims, but it is good natured teasing. And I continually return the favor, in fact I am probably the worst of the bunch.
I have had good luck in the work place, most people seem to like me for some reason. I am not exceptionally intelligent, my work performance usually was just average, I am horrendous at anything approaching a normal conversation. As far as I can tell my best attribute is my sense of humor, and the fact that there is not much anyone can say that will offend me, plus my honesty.

I wish you luck, I can not imagine working everyday around people I did not like.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2006, 12:25 am

You should be collecting or recording evidence of any harassment. If there is graffiti about you take photos, and make diary notes of nasty remarks. This stuff usually escalates and you may need to establish your case here, with evidence of any events or statements. It's usually done with the tacit support of management so I'd think carefully before bringing the issue up with them, although procedurally, that would be correct. They can't act on anything unless you make a complaint, but eh sometimes complaining can make it worse.

tchannon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Apr 2006, 9:32 pm

The _only_ answer is to become bully proof.

Good place to look is here http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/

If you are actually being bullied contact them to ask for more information.
"Request for free information on bullying" do it. If you do not understand that, message me.

Yeah I know it is a UK site and it is a bit strident but you can pick and choose not to get over the top yourself.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2006, 1:10 pm

Employers tend to side with the bully in these harassment cases. The unfortunate person who has been harassed automatically becomes the enemy from the employer's point of view because it is the employer who is held legally responsible and, if a human rights case is won, it is the employer who is forced to pay compensation for the behavior of employees.

voss749
Raven
Raven

02 May 2006, 11:10 am

The ONLY way you will have a recourse is if you go to your boss first.
You are not threatening to sue at no point mention "human rights" or "lawsuit",
you are simply complaining about harassment. You only have a civil complaint
if your boss fails to act.

Postman is correct, write down every insult they say to you and when it happens.
Graffitti is beyond "simple remarks" especially if it is vulgar. If this graffitti is in the work
place report it immediately, im sure your boss does not want graffitti in the bathrooms
no matter what he thinks of you since it costs him money to clean it. Also show the graffitti
to another person so you have a witness.

If the boss fails to act or even is hostile to you then you have every legal right
to act.

However you need to go to your boss with some evidence and show a "pattern of behavior on their part"
not just complaining. It would help if you had a few witnesses to back up you story.

If you have mental health services I would talk to a psychologist about it so that you have a record of it
causing you emotional distress.

Ninki
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 May 2006, 2:52 pm

Hi, I'm Ninki, and I just joined this site. I'm glad I've found it and hope to make some virtual friends here. I work in retail, and my co-workers are okay, but some customers drive me up the wall. There seems to be a trend, especially among older men, to say things that sound (to me at least) mean-spirited and hurtful and then when I react accordingly, they'll say they were just kidding and what's wrong with me why don't I have a sense of humor, etc. Being naturally shy, I've had to learn to smile and greet people and generally act more outgoing, but it is hard for me to keep up for hours and takes a lot out of me. At the end of a shift I'm totally exhausted, mentally and physically. Anyway, I really just wanted to say hi. :D

~Ludwig van Beethoven