27 Nov 2010, 4:20 am

study says early retirement is good for you-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11820660

i couldn't agree more.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 4:17 pm

Sounds kinda like common sense, too bad those maggots in government the world over want to raise the retirement age. Because less stress would just be to good for the people.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 4:33 pm

Amen

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 5:52 pm

Early retirement is good for the individual, but an early exodus from the work force can hurt the economy. Also, with social security it makes more sense to make all the money you can.

Additionally, retirement ages are outdated. when US created social security, the average life expectancy was significantly lower than it is today.

But they do not have me

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 8:37 pm

Apera wrote:
Early retirement is good for the individual, but an early exodus from the work force can hurt the economy. Also, with social security it makes more sense to make all the money you can.

Additionally, retirement ages are outdated. when US created social security, the average life expectancy was significantly lower than it is today.

I don't really buy much into the economy personally. Its priorities are all wrong. I'm not against work actually especially meaningful work, and many of those who retire do go back to work for fun, but I'm not a big fan of wage slavery. There is no reason for the rich to perpetually get richer at the expense of the rest of us especially when they have made crazy and suicidal decisions.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 10:31 pm

Apera wrote:

an early exodus makes room for younger workers, whom the bloodsucking employers can pay less- a kind of economic win-win situation. :roll:

Apera wrote:

not all of us are lucky enough to have been able to get cushy jobs that pay well. most of us are wageslaves who never could rise too far above hand-to-mouth, and to keep this up until age 70 is not practical, IOW a lot of us would die on the job. and horatio alger is just a fantasy.

JoeR43
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2010, 11:04 pm

In this thread, some classic cases of doing good with other people's money.

Hey, no one's holding a gun to your head and saying you have to work until 70. If you want to wrap it up at 55, you can feel free. Just don't force me to pay into some pension for it.

There's a very good reason why the retirement age keeps going up: we live longer and can't afford it. Pretty simple.

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 5:25 pm

JoeR43 wrote:

Hey, no one's holding a gun to your head and saying you have to work until 70. If you want to wrap it up at 55, you can feel free. Just don't force me to pay into some pension for it.

There's a very good reason why the retirement age keeps going up: we live longer and can't afford it. Pretty simple.

By the same reasoning we as a nation should stop funding parasitic bankers, absurd wars, Israel's illegal occupations, and militaristic implements of death and destruction. At least everybody gets a little fun out of a pension fund, you may have to wait but its good to know its there. I think human beings benefit better from being social creatures to great extent and not by taking individualism to its extremes, although I certainly respect certain forms of individualism.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 3:47 am

JoeR43 wrote:

the money doesn't belong to you or me or that man hiding behind the tree, and never did. it [like all the good things in life] is just on loan from on high. how you use it is a moral/ethical test, which most people fail abjectly.

JoeR43 wrote:

so you are not your brother's keeper, so be proudly arch about telling folk all they have to do to retire at 55 is just jerk themselves up by their own bootstraps and make a boatload of moolah just as easily as falling off a log. lord knows that people who can't afford to retire brought it on themselves by choosing to be born with a brain too slow to manage their own affairs.

JoeR43 wrote:

priorities, priorities- you would rather our collective hard-earned tax monies go to fund foolish foreign misadventures and further enrich the parasitic military-industrial complex, rather than [god forbid!] actually help average american citizens. wall street trumps main street always. greed trumps godliness.