Did people take you more seriously once you got a good job.

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 652

02 Jan 2011, 11:50 pm

Just a question for all the aspies out there who were looked down upon throughout there life.


Somehow, I have this notion that a college degree and that 45k income will suddenly make people respect me more.


Is this true?



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

02 Jan 2011, 11:53 pm

Very much so but beware of sycophants who just want to use you for money ;)



ci
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,545
Location: Humboldt County, California

03 Jan 2011, 12:29 am

sycophant -

Am I detecting a persecutory complex in the making? It would depend on the context of what your saying. Special interest can be bad in context to autism. Anything profiting from a lack of progress said as progress is part of the problem in context to my thoughts. Would you care to continue explaining your contextual meaning of the word sycophant?



John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,456
Location: The shooting range

03 Jan 2011, 12:38 am

Right now I don't have that problem since unemployment isn't such a stigma in my area atm.


_________________
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
- Unknown

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud


ci
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,545
Location: Humboldt County, California

03 Jan 2011, 12:41 am

John_Browning wrote:
Right now I don't have that problem since unemployment isn't such a stigma in my area atm.

Right-wing gun nut

"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
-Winston Churchill


Then there is no said socialistic envy thus progress but perhaps an allergy to nuts?



quesonrias
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2010
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 309

03 Jan 2011, 1:03 am

I'm not anywhere near the 45K mark, but I have a good job in the community. Unfortunately, I still find that there are those in this world who will never take anyone but themselves and the people that write their checks seriously. So, in theory, if you can be the one writing the checks, then maybe you could get that respect. However, I've been in that position too, and there's always someone else who has control, no matter what position you are in...sigh.

To me it's more important to have a few people close to you who take you seriously, and to heck with the rest of them :) I don't want them around after I clock out anyway :D


_________________
If I tell you I'm unique, and you say, "Yeah, we all are," you've missed the whole point.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
RAADS-R: 187.0
Language: 15.0 • Social Relatedness: 81.0 • Sensory/Motor: 52.0 • Circumscribed Interests: 40.0

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 165 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

03 Jan 2011, 1:41 pm

ci wrote:
sycophant -

Am I detecting a persecutory complex in the making? It would depend on the context of what your saying. Special interest can be bad in context to autism. Anything profiting from a lack of progress said as progress is part of the problem in context to my thoughts. Would you care to continue explaining your contextual meaning of the word sycophant?

Once people get some money and a good job there's usually a stream of people attracted by that so they compliment and flatter but it's superficial bs. You should look for people who care about more than just that.



markko
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 8 Dec 2010
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 107
Location: Wisconsin, USA

03 Jan 2011, 1:48 pm

For me, it wasn't the university degree that mattered. It was age and experience in life that brought more respect. I have a good memory of my late teens and early twenties and, good Lord, I was naive with everything...politics, work, friends, family, general knowledge of the world. I now consider my twenties as the era of "practice for the real world."



wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,419
Location: Western New York

03 Jan 2011, 2:16 pm

45K is diddly. Aim higher.

People that respect you for external markers of success aren't worth the bother. I know some poor, uneducated people that I would trust far more than some rich educated ones. The reverse holds true as well.


_________________
When God made me He didn't use a mold. I'm FREEHAND baby!
The road to my hell is paved with your good intentions.


thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,124
Location: On The Road...Somewhere

03 Jan 2011, 2:16 pm

some of us cant get good jobs.... i guess we are doomed to a life of disrespect and contempt.

im starting to get used to it... i think


_________________
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.


thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,124
Location: On The Road...Somewhere

03 Jan 2011, 2:18 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
45K is diddly. Aim higher.

People that respect you for external markers of success aren't worth the bother. I know some poor, uneducated people that I would trust far more than some rich educated ones. The reverse holds true as well.


diddly? i would be thrilled to make that kind of money, heck, 2010 was my best paid year so far, 15k.

what you consider "diddly" is a fortune to me.


_________________
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

03 Jan 2011, 2:18 pm

I firmly believe there's more to life than just good jobs and financial success. IMO that's a serious dilemma in our culture. Too many people are motivated by the almighty dollar and that's it. Shouldn't we care about more meaningful things? What about enduring values that have persisted throughout the generations?



wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,419
Location: Western New York

03 Jan 2011, 2:22 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
45K is diddly. Aim higher.

People that respect you for external markers of success aren't worth the bother. I know some poor, uneducated people that I would trust far more than some rich educated ones. The reverse holds true as well.


diddly? i would be thrilled to make that kind of money, heck, 2010 was my best paid year so far, 15k.

what you consider "diddly" is a fortune to me.


Wife, 3 kids, college, medical bills, etc, etc ...

Trust me. 45K isn't wealthy. My health insurance alone would not be covered by your 15K. I only have it because my employer picks up most of it. Even WITH insurance, I spend 300-500 month on health expenses out of pocket.


_________________
When God made me He didn't use a mold. I'm FREEHAND baby!
The road to my hell is paved with your good intentions.


wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,419
Location: Western New York

03 Jan 2011, 2:23 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I firmly believe there's more to life than just good jobs and financial success. IMO that's a serious dilemma in our culture. Too many people are motivated by the almighty dollar and that's it. Shouldn't we care about more meaningful things? What about enduring values that have persisted throughout the generations?


+10


_________________
When God made me He didn't use a mold. I'm FREEHAND baby!
The road to my hell is paved with your good intentions.


thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,124
Location: On The Road...Somewhere

03 Jan 2011, 2:23 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I firmly believe there's more to life than just good jobs and financial success. IMO that's a serious dilemma in our culture. Too many people are motivated by the almighty dollar and that's it. Shouldn't you care about other more meaningful things? What about more enduring values?


you hit the nail right on the head! my previous post may have sounded like a pity party, i was just putting it into perspective for the OP.

If my 15k puts a roof over my head and food on the table, why should i ask for more?

People are obsessed with their money, in fact, i found that out at church. The senior pastor going on and on about how they've laid off pastors, donations are down and so on, yet, the associate pastor got a brand new audi last year

hmmmm....


_________________
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.