Qualification + No Experience = No Job?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2011, 7:17 am

So you have qualifications and no experience. Can not even get a job. You do not have a car license. Employer will not give you a chance. You do not have family or friends who will give you a job on a silver platter. Nepotism seems to be the only way to get employment these days.

You have applied for 1000's of jobs but 1000 applicants applied for that job and probably were better suited for the job.

What can you do besides make up experience about places you never worked. Experience gets you jobs right? Employers may not check up references but the experience would still count? Omit education from resume. Having a degree may raise questions with employer when applying for low-level jobs.

It is ok to have the experience through the job and earn the qualification later. But if you earn a qualification and have no experience. You have little or no chance of securing a job in that field. Weird how things work.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 7:37 am

But it's true. Experience is a way better indicator of how well someone can perform a job function than education. Colleges are failing big time in preparing students to succeed in the workplace.

It's ok to lie about your skills some, as long as you can back it up. If you have basic knowledge of something, say you're great at it. All you have to do is show your familiarity and learn as you go.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 8:34 am

Sadly, in a bad economy where jobs are limited, employers can be very picky. There is no reason to demand a person have formal education when you put more weight on actual experience, but that's what's going on....you go to college to bypass the need for practical experience, but when there are so many potential employees to choose from, you can up the standards. :(

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

Having Aspergers or a social anxious, shy, introverted personality type. Finding employment and holding down employment is a life long struggle regardless of your intelligence level when you have Aspergers Syndrome.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 11:18 am

There's no point in applying for 1000's of jobs when you don't have what you know they're looking for. Use the time instead to intern or volunteer at places and build up references. If you need to know how to drive, get lessons.

Omit your degree if you want, but don't make up work places; your references need to check out.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 8:30 pm

Great posts DarkLord. Employers care about experience and extroversion/likeability. They don't give a damn about education unless it's in something technical.

In other words, employers wish Aspies (unless we're math/science savants) would just kill themselves and stop wasting their time with applications.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 12:22 am

This thread reminds me of all the job openings I've seen over the years that list themselves as "entry level" yet require 2-5 years of work experience in the specific field on top of you degree. Methinks HR folks have lost sight of the meaning of "entry level".

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 1:05 am

DNForrest wrote:
This thread reminds me of all the job openings I've seen over the years that list themselves as "entry level" yet require 2-5 years of work experience in the specific field on top of you degree. Methinks HR folks have lost sight of the meaning of "entry level".

GAH! I know. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a job posting say "entry-level" which gets my hopes up, then it says it requires experience. Employers are just idiots, it seems.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 1:11 am

DNForrest wrote:

I don't even see that many entry-level jobs posted....except in sales.

The job market is so tight right now that employers can get people with YEARS of experience even for the most mundane jobs. The posting may say no experience needed, but you can bet whoever they hire has experience.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 1:25 pm

When I apply for jobs I get very creative about my experience. I worked at a hospital for 4 years repairing wheelchairs and I tell my employers that I am a robotics expert with 4 years of experience in advanced humanoid robotics.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 1:42 pm

Hmm... I've thought of going to a Community College that has an Industrial Trades program. It sounds decent enough but I want to be in better financial shape before going to school.

Also I need to talk to someone more knowledgeable then their Academic Adviser who recommended I look all this career stuff up on Google. I was hoping they could help with looking at my background and interests and find a college path based on that.

They do have some programs in Electronics and Industrial Robotics I'm kind of curious about though. But still I don't feel ready yet even if I can get financial aid I want less debts and more savings.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 2:23 am

Also get this. Temp agencies. Require 6 montsh work experience.

Erm...temp agencies.

I'm going to a temp agency because I can't find a job. And now they are asking me for experience too.

Back in my dad's day he didn't need the experience. He's the one who suggested temp agencies because I couldn't find a job.

Ishtara
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2011, 4:21 am

Pandora_Box wrote:

Erm...temp agencies.

I'm going to a temp agency because I can't find a job. And now they are asking me for experience too.

Back in my dad's day he didn't need the experience. He's the one who suggested temp agencies because I couldn't find a job.

Temp agencies require experience because you get thrown straight into the job. They don't have time to teach you and expect you to be able to handle most tasks with only basic instruction.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 4:06 am

Ishtara wrote:
Pandora_Box wrote:

Erm...temp agencies.

Temp agencies require experience because you get thrown straight into the job. They don't have time to teach you and expect you to be able to handle most tasks with only basic instruction.

As stated my dad never needed experience to be thrown into a job.

Its why he suggested a temp agency for me. And then when I told him I needed work experience he sounded really surprise because that wasn't the way it was when he was my age.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 8:49 am

It's not our parents job market anymore. Companies no longer wish to train people. Maybe they're lazy, maybe they can't afford it, but either way, the result is the same.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 11:00 am

SadAspy wrote:
It's not our parents job market anymore. Companies no longer wish to train people. Maybe they're lazy, maybe they can't afford it, but either way, the result is the same.

I vote for lazy...coupled with cheap.

When educators pushed the "essentialness" of a college degree, employers dumped the job skill training task onto schools and ultimately the prospective employee. It got over the top when you saw people going for skill training you could learn in a week on the job only to be paid near minimum wage when hired.

Now the applicant can't afford college, and employer's have such changing and diverse needs that school is the worst place to be skill trained in anything more than a generalist approach to skill training. Employers will be forced to pick up the slack once we see the college graduates in the labor pool dry up and be replaced with people who couldn't afford more than community college at best. Sadly, I think that's about 20 years from happening since it's just now that young people are questioning the value of going into debt for college.