How am I supposed to understand that?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 12:46 pm

Situation: I work in a callcenter in a kind of open plan office where the seats are in rows. I am in an unremarkable position in the middle of a row (I used to have the place which my favorite colleague had before he changed departments but had to move :( ). This week was a bit stressfull for various reasons, and so, during a call, I rocked back and forth on my chair (given that other people take calls while standing or sitting on the table, I did not consider this to be a breach of protocol especially as my chair is silent). Then, I stopped to write something. Suddenly, I noticed that one of my male colleagues rocked the backrest of the chair in pretty much the same speed I did before. I looked at him in what I understand a confused expression and he stopped doing it and went back to his place.

My thoughts: WTF!?

My reaction: none overt though it annoyed me.

My questions: Was this an innocent joke? Was this insulting? How should I react now?

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Guilted_Lady
Raven
Raven

23 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

Do you think he was mocking you? If he was, I would understand being angry. On the opposite side, maybe he was doing it wondering what kind of benefit you were getting from rocking back and forth?

?Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.?

orchidee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm

Guilted_Lady wrote:
On the opposite side, maybe he was doing it wondering what kind of benefit you were getting from rocking back and forth?

This sounds like a possibility.

In any event, it doesn't sound too insulting (to me anyways). It could've been that he thought you didn't know you were rocking back and forth and wanted to show you that you were? I'm not sure.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 1:00 pm

Guilted_Lady wrote:
Do you think he was mocking you? If he was, I would understand being angry. On the opposite side, maybe he was doing it wondering what kind of benefit you were getting from rocking back and forth?

I have no idea what he meant and did not process it all too well at that time. As I said, it was during a call and I was busy making the device of the customer work again...

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!