How to Determine best Job for You? Advice Needed Pls

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

StillStanding
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2011, 2:47 am

Need advice.

Diagnosed (PDD-NOS) not too long ago, always knew I was different, blah, blah, blah.

Realized that my "obsession" or something that I really enjoyed doing and can do for hours is working with or playing with children. I've always been drawn to babies and young children since I was practically a child myself. I remember trekking down the street to play with a neighbors daughter beginning about the age of 5 or 6 and she was about 2 years old. (Ironically, now I'm the godmother of her very own 2 children).

I can sit for hours and hours with a young child and never bore of them. I'm very intrigued about these little persons, and always in awe of their developmental and cognitive abilities. I enjoy seeing what they can and cannot do based on their developmental milestones. I also enjoy playing simple games to see how well they can quickly pick up learning new things. I can relate to children better than I can with adults.

Anyway, over the years I've babysat people's children, some people may have taken advantage of me because oftentimes I did it for free. I've worked in child care centers, that whole thing.

The problem is, finding a career that would be of interest to me with working with children. I don't want to work in a child care center, I have a BA in psychology and looking to attend graduate school.

What career would be suited for me?

Gnonymouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2011, 8:28 am

You could get a teaching degree, although kindergarten teachers are very under-payed.

You could get a job teaching/helping developmentally challenged kids.

I tutored for a little while and it was fun because I was allowed to talk about my interest.

Why don't you like the child care center?

StillStanding
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2011, 10:32 am

I'm not good at teaching, to do that a whole day would be too draining anyway. I worked with developmentally disabled children and its just not for me. I'm looking more so for jobs that would involve a good bit of observing and analyzing children. Thanks.

abc123
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2011, 11:22 am

Child therapist. I know someone who trained in play therapy.

Some kind of research?

StillStanding
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2011, 11:44 am

I'm good with talking with children, but not sure about therapy. I would love to do research, the more I think about it, the more I think I should take that route. I like working with computers, analyzing data, so it would offer me a chance away from some human contact.

How long did your friend train in play therapy? It must involve getting an MA in psychology right?

Lahmacun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2011, 10:20 am

Train as a nanny and tell an agency you sign up for that you wish to work with very young children.