The real reason why Aspies are often unemployable.

Page 7 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

MrLucky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2016, 1:06 am

Sam2 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
You need references to get a job and that is my road block there. They always ask for references or recommendation letters or a cover letter. I have difficulty in those areas so those are my road blocks. I know other people can struggle with this too such as social anxiety or other conditions that will cause someone to lack friends. Plus normal people fake their reference by paying someone to pretend they know them or have their relatives pretend they are just a friend, not related.

I don't understand why work wants small talk. I never had that problem. I just went to work and did my job and don't bosses want people to be serious and just do their job than talking to others? However if you work as cashier or teacher or whatever, you end up talking to parents about their children and as a cashier you will end up talking to customers and doing the small talk. Same as if you work in retail, you are to ask customers if they need help finding anything. I think I can do that because it be all scripts but I bet it be exhausting.

Even telling me to just get a job or get friends isn't helpful for me either.

I also have a mild form of autism called AS and I work just Part time for FEDEX as a driver. I've been with this company now for nearly twenty years. I tried to look for another job just to support my income. But no second jobs ever hired me. Not even McDonalds. I couldn't answer that kind of question maybe it's just the environment is the only thing that prevented me from getting what I want to have in life. I know. Life really " STINKS ".

I have better internet access now so I can post more and not just lurk. I do hear you, I think there are times I'm in the same boat. I lack a lot of people skills although I've learned a lot but I still have my share of problems. I worked retail for a department store and was just let go, in short they do not have the people they need and expect too much of you at times, I can go into that later if need be. I'm now looking for work too. It is scary, I live by myself and need to pay ny rent and bills. I lost my mother to cancer in 2013 and it is sure scary when you don't have anyone to "watch your six."

I empathize and almost get into tears seeing the stories here and I can say "been there and done that." The thing that upsets me the most in the hiring process is those online personality questionaires and if you are rejected (and knowing that you can do the job) because "they found a better fit" for the team.

Iy always reminds me of the old Christmas cartoon, "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" where Hermie the Elf and Rudolph were told, "they don't fit in" and I remember Santa making the point "about the team" and Rudolph will not fit even though he had the skills. Yet in the end, Santa and the head Elf pandered to Rudolph and Hermie in the end when they needed or wanted something. I do believe in forgiveness and redemption but having a tough time in society at times and going through what they and we have gone through, I would also want a lot of compensation for my pain and suffering I (and they/we) were put through as well as a way to make sure I will not be tossed aside.

A lot of times, I think employers emphasize too much on people skills and teamwork in areas where it isn't needed as much. I can see it if it is a sales position or something like that where you deal with people a lot but there are other jobs in any organization like data entry and so on where one can basically work alone and as long as they do their job, people skills should not matter as much.

jackinblack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2016, 3:46 am

Madao wrote:
Everything about this post is 100% true. I wanna cry. ;__;
Where's that so called Aspie Island people keep talking about. I want to go there. A place where you're valued for your skills, and not how well you can gossip.

Let's build one. I employ almost 100 people but never met any Aspies my entire life. If I had one apply, I would definitely choose them because I am an Aspie employee and I value skills over likability. Perhaps the solution for many of us is not to wait to get hired but try to sell our skills? After all no NT will have this much passion, dedication, drive, focus and patience to push things uphill until they start rolling downhill.

The problem is the NT employer, who employs according to his values. If they are the problem - get rid of them, and then you will see that the market needs you, your skills - but you don't need someone who doesn't understand you to judge your value!

In my work don't even leave my house; I am the brain, let the NT's do the interaction!
Let's build an Aspie empire not an island! :)

impendingtacticallama
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2016, 5:49 am

I think job interviews and assessment days are basically a roulette.

After I graduated I went to about 7 interviews before I landed my job. The feedback from each one was quite different and sometimes contradicted other feedback.

For instance at one assessment centre I was described as a 'natural leader' and 'good communicator', but didn't score highly enough on a reading comprehension test to get the job. On the other hand I went to jobs where I was told I was technically brilliant but didn't gel with anybody in the team on the day.

All you can really do is give your best on the day. There are lots of soft skills you can polish up; you should pretend to be a team player and that you like everybody, etc - it's something of a shibboleth - it doesn't matter if you are or aren't, you need to SAY it to pass the test.

I don't like technical assessments, I feel like I work best when alone, I think I have a memory like a sieve but I still manage to produce high quality work because I build up a picture of how systems work over time. The technical tests I've encountered so far only ever focused on my ability to regurgitate a lot of the C programming language's grammar, or recognise analogue circuits on command. :(

Globestyle
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Mar 2016, 2:23 pm

Vocational rehab might be the place to start. They're used to dealing with folks with special needs who have little or no work experience, offer aptitude testing, job coaching, etc.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 2:48 pm

Jobs are a lot tougher now in that one person is now expected to do the work of several. In some cases, it isn't too bad in that there isn't enough work to hire several people to do all those jobs--but you are expected to figure out how to do those jobs on your own--they don't have the resources to train you. Instead, they look for the rare candidate that can either do those jobs--or looks like they have the aptitude AND initiative to learn all those jobs really fast.

Methodchess
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2016, 3:11 pm

I agree with a lot of the sentiments in this thread. I'd just like to add that I also find the whole concept of having to sell yourself in a CV, then at the face to face interview very uncomfortable. It seems to me that being able to sell yourself correctly is just as important as what qualifications you have.

Also it was mentioned earlier that having gaps in your educations is frowned upon. I agree with this and experienced it myself. I have had to explain the gaps in my education at all 5 face to face interviews I've attended thus far.

If I could go back in time I think I would have tried to get into computer programming at a young age. This way I could be self-employed and not have to bother with interviews. Unfortunately I've invested too much time in accounting to do this now. Also I think I'm too old at 26 to go down a different path. It is depressing knowing that I'm certain I can do the work well, it's just getting passed the interview that's the problem.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 3:49 pm

jackinblack wrote:
Madao wrote:
Where's that so called Aspie Island people keep talking about. I want to go there. A place where you're valued for your skills, and not how well you can gossip.

Let's build one. I employ almost 100 people but never met any Aspies my entire life. If I had one apply, I would definitely choose them because I am an Aspie employee and I value skills over likability. Perhaps the solution for many of us is not to wait to get hired but try to sell our skills? After all no NT will have this much passion, dedication, drive, focus and patience to push things uphill until they start rolling downhill.

The problem is the NT employer, who employs according to his values. If they are the problem - get rid of them, and then you will see that the market needs you, your skills - but you don't need someone who doesn't understand you to judge your value!

In my work don't even leave my house; I am the brain, let the NT's do the interaction!
Let's build an Aspie empire not an island! :)

you must be rich. I am jealous

suzegra
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2016, 9:23 pm

Madao wrote:

I realize this post/thread is almost five years old. And the economy in that time has changed......

But everything in this thread is speaking to me.

I have been working since I was 14. But my field is geeky science. The arts and sciences I believe are better places for aspies to fit in.

I have always been more comfortable with the informal one on one conversations as opposed to the "soft" and more formal office politics. Does anyone out there get along great with co-workers, customers, students (we have an education function as a portion of our R & D business.) But is sh!t at smoozing, small talk, office politics and dealing with toxicity and corporate ladder game-playing with the management?

I have trouble recognizing dangerous situations in the office hierarchy. I honestly believe people are good at heart and have trouble seeing manipulation and tactics that are not in my best interest. My naivete is my worst enemy. Can't seem to learn how to play the game. I am not overly ambitious, believe solving problems and doing a good job are more important and if I work hard I will be recognized and advance on that alone.

I was told last week by HR director that I was being sidelined (not involved in major decisions and left out of important meetings) because I "am not a team player." But I have been praised over and over (in writing, in emails to our president) by my workmates, my customers, my students and professors as being just that - an outside the box thinking team player and advocate. I was floored and very angry.

This was the straw that sent me to this forum for Aspies, searching desperately for ways of overcoming, hiding, minimizing traits I should see as strengths, not weaknesses. Since when is lying, undermining, manipulation and game playing to promote oneself a strength? Since when is honesty, team building, innovative problem solving, straight talk, big picture viewing a weakness?

I am confused about why NTs (especially toxic and manipulative NTs) do not understand aspies are more often than not GOOD for their business. Especially in the technical scientific fields.

Back to reading through the rest of these posts. I hope I have not posted too soon before reading an almost identical post further back in the stack.....another fatal flaw of mine, posting prematurely.

:-|

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm

I don't have a problem with being "sidelined." Attending those meetings isn't a productive use of my time. If I have an idea I'll bring it up with the appropriate person and let them decide what to do with it. And, since I have no intention of being a manager, it doesn't affect how much I'll get paid.

suzegra
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2016, 10:19 pm

BTDT,

Thank you!!

I do have preconceived notions that my opinions and ideas are worth seeking out. They are worthwhile. Placing them in the proper place is an active rather than passive effort. Attitude really is 80% of it, isn't it? I can change my attitude. Have worked hard on that in a past life.

One of my strengths is working a problem from the bottom up. You are so right - a correctly placed idea highlighted as someone else's is often the best way to get a job done. I work better from the bottom up. I might tack this up on my bulletin board where only I can see it.

One of our other worker bees also gave good advice today......they pay you the same whether you do what you are asked or whether you have foresight, logic, efficiency and smarts. It is not the worker bee's job to solve problems or innovate. It is a shame, she is a great customer service gal who has been beat into 'go in, do the job as you are told, and go home' mentality. She is great at her job, but she has lost her sparkle. Sigh.

Don't let anyone else take away your sparkle.....new mantra. Aspies are much shinier than the average bears [bores.]

Last edited by suzegra on 21 Mar 2016, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 10:22 pm

To quote my now-deceased mother: "So, it's not who you know, it's who you bl!w." Yeah, right.

Any wonder I had difficulties finding work since college? I don't like playing petty games or office politics. I was always of the attitude "Leave me alone to do my work. If I need your help I'll ask." Unfortunately, when it got hectic, I could barely function. Mom and dad never understood how I could bomb so spectacularly. To them, every time I lost a job, it was because I'm a lazy-arsed motherf!cker who didn't work hard enough to make anything of myself. To them, there was no such thing as burnout, which I suffered a lot. Add to that, while I was working telephone support, you had to be 3 steps ahead of the customer, technology-wise, else you were useless as a phone support person. Too bad most technology companies no longer hire people that have a clue: they'll only hire people that do what is termed in broadcast news as "rip and read", and do not deviate from the script.

In short, management in tech industries no longer want people who can think for themselves: they only want sheep and cattle.

suzegra
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2016, 10:37 pm

Burn off the attitude tarnish, brush and polish up my sparkle.

I have always gotten jobs from word of mouth. From co-workers and associates, immediate managers. It's the upper managers I tend to miff. I don't know how to lie and say what they want to hear......I can't even predict what it is they want to hear most days.

Will do! My new email go to answer. (I am serious about this......Nobody can argue with "Will do!") Sheep are paid the same as foxes.

[Sorry if the sarcasm is getting sticky.....]

mitchel

22 Mar 2016, 3:14 pm

My goal in life is to have a team full of empowered 'aspies' that frequently put dents in the world :)

Some day!

suzegra
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Mar 2016, 7:56 pm

mitchel wrote:
My goal in life is to have a team full of empowered 'aspies' that frequently put dents in the world :)

Some day!

Yes! Tarnish free, sparkly dents! :lol:

I work in a building that houses a technology business incubator. Of the 14 businesses, I'd say at least three (they are all very small <5 employees) employs at least one person with aspie traits.

Entrepreneurship is something worth exploring. There is a need for 'shared services' in those small incubator businesses....book keeping, payroll, IT and media services. Most of these incubators offer free/reasonable courses on running your own business to the public. And they are small. Most of these 'services' would be things that could be done remotely most of the time. A cobbled together part time for many businesses which would be a full time job through the incubator. The owners are a good group of engineers/scientists/techies who do not necessarily have the social will or business acumen to survive without help. Aspies would fit into that mix well, in fact, some of the techies are the ones I know. Are there business incubators in your area, mitchel?

In my experience it is the 'word of mouth' tips that get me the best jobs. Wouldn't it be great if the word of mouth could enhance the chances that those on the spectrum will be hired?

TheBadguy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Mar 2016, 4:48 pm

A lot of these threads and programs. Always focus on one thing. Social skills in the work force. But it's not just social skills. It's the pace. If I cannot do anything at the one speed I know which is Autyspeed. There's no heck in way I am going to get the work done in time.

I worked so many different jobs, where I realize speed was my biggest problem. I am just not fast enough. I think I am going fast, but everyone notes I am going really slow. And if I go too fast I make too many mistakes. Soo....yeah.

It's not just social aspects. But I cannot keep up with the demands of work. And Managers need to be more supportive and encouraging. Not intimidating and yelling at me all the time. It just stresses me out and I have poorer work performance.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 5:19 pm

TheBadguy wrote:
A lot of these threads and programs. Always focus on one thing. Social skills in the work force. But it's not just social skills. It's the pace. If I cannot do anything at the one speed I know which is Autyspeed. There's no heck in way I am going to get the work done in time.

I worked so many different jobs, where I realize speed was my biggest problem. I am just not fast enough. I think I am going fast, but everyone notes I am going really slow. And if I go too fast I make too many mistakes. Soo....yeah.

It's not just social aspects. But I cannot keep up with the demands of work. And Managers need to be more supportive and encouraging. Not intimidating and yelling at me all the time. It just stresses me out and I have poorer work performance.

My replay to supervisors who were always screaming at me to hurry up and finish was, "do yo want it done fast, or do you want it done right? You can't have both!" Management usually backed off when I said this.