Upcoming job isn't what I thought it would be

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

KevLibraryGuy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2011, 5:28 pm

Hey all,

After doing a successful internship position for 2 months, I'm back on the job-hunting road. I recently was contacted by a fellow former student about a position with a professional engineering firm. Note that I know nothing about professional engineering, but apparently the position in question was a research-based position for corporate policy-- something that my library degree certain gives me some knowledge on. I sent an application, and I have an interview tomorrow.

Today, I emailed the aforementioned former classmate, however, and it turns out I had the wrong end of the stick. The research position is actually what she is moving on to. Instead, the position I applied for is one to provide assistance to the corporate archiving department. Among other things, I'll be helping to process company documents and digitizing them using PDFs, Excel and Sharepoint, as well as uploading minutes.

Thats all well and good, except I'm terrible with Sharepoint! Oh yes, and I don't exactly have a perfect memory of all of the functions/formulas for Excel. What the hell am I going to do? The interview is tomorrow! I want a job, but I don't want to get the job only to do horribly at it!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 7:17 pm

I'd suggest highlighting your strengths as Aspie--my guess is that you won't get bored doing repetitive work like most NTs--what you do at the end of the day will be just as good as when you started the day. And, that you have no problem spending the time getting things right the first time. Which is why a fellow student recommended you.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to remember all the Excel functions--what is important is that you know how to look them up and use them without bothering a supervisor for assistance.

You mention that you haven't had much of an opportunity to work with Sharepoint--it may be that all the hard work has already been done by someone else--you may just need to be able to copy what they did--with different source documents.