Applying for disability, and looking for a job?.

Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

I don't know where to put this so sorry if its better fit for a different section. So anyways I decided to re-apply for disability and try as hard as I can to stick to it and appeal if it gets denied again. But if i don't get approved at all I kinda need something to fall back on, not that i fill I function well enough at most jobs to rely on a job as that something to fall back on but its better then nothing I guess.

As far as I know though if you have a job or are looking for work then you are much less likely to get approved.......so I feel kind of stuck like I feel like I should be doing something, but I feel like doing anything will just interfere with that and make me less likely to get approved so I am not really sure what to do. I mean I am already less likely to get approved because I don't have a lot of official records describing the problems I have since when I was a kid my parents never really bothered and as an adult I can't afford it.

psayles56
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

I am kind of in the same situation, but I have many health problems and have been seeing many doctors since I was about 6 years old. I suggest you find a good therapist and tell her your situation. I have Asperger's as well as Fibromyalgia, ADD, and I recently got diagnosed with Systemic Lupus. I also recently found out I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I think you should maybe see as many doctors as possible. I have health insurance that covers all my doctors visits and such so I would look into that as well. I see a neurologist for reoccurring Migraines and I see a rheumatologist for Fibromyalgia and Lupus and I go to therapy once a week. I was seeing a cardiologist for my high cholesterol but he knows my primary care doctor is watching my triglycerides. Sorry this is so long. I guess if you have an official diagnose of Autism of any kind it is easier to get SSI or any kind of benefits. Good luck and keep me posted on what is going on with you if you would like.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 3:21 pm

psayles56 wrote:
I am kind of in the same situation, but I have many health problems and have been seeing many doctors since I was about 6 years old. I suggest you find a good therapist and tell her your situation. I have Asperger's as well as Fibromyalgia, ADD, and I recently got diagnosed with Systemic Lupus. I also recently found out I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I think you should maybe see as many doctors as possible. I have health insurance that covers all my doctors visits and such so I would look into that as well. I see a neurologist for reoccurring Migraines and I see a rheumatologist for Fibromyalgia and Lupus and I go to therapy once a week. I was seeing a cardiologist for my high cholesterol but he knows my primary care doctor is watching my triglycerides. Sorry this is so long. I guess if you have an official diagnose of Autism of any kind it is easier to get SSI or any kind of benefits. Good luck and keep me posted on what is going on with you if you would like.

Well I don't know I can afford a good therapist, and I have gone to therapists but they can't diagnose or anything the last one i went to did know my situation but there was nothing he could really do for it. I don't really have any physical health concerns which is probably good because I can't even afford mental health professionals let alone doctors in general....I also cannot afford insurance.

So yeah that is one of the main issues right now, not being able to afford things.....thing is that's why I am applying in the first place, if I could afford to do all that I might not even need disability in the first place. But all I can do now is send in the application and try and appeal it if it gets denied again.....then maybe I can find out more about what i need.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 3:27 pm

See if your state has behavioral health services of any kind. My state does. If so, a case manager might be helpful. I don't know if I could have done without the knowledge and help of my case manager. I did manage to get on disability, but it did take a couple of years and an attorney. In the meantime, you might check on HUD subsidized housing. That's 30% of your income, whatever that income may be.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 3:28 pm

I should be applying for ssi and/or jobs too but I can't even bring myself to do it.

I filled out the online application for ssi but then I couldn't call them, plus I probably would have had problems since I don't have and can't get an id.

I can't even think of any jobs where I live that might even hire me and the ones I can think of I can't do, like working a register in a fast food place.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

SylviaLynn wrote:
See if your state has behavioral health services of any kind. My state does. If so, a case manager might be helpful. I don't know if I could have done without the knowledge and help of my case manager. I did manage to get on disability, but it did take a couple of years and an attorney. In the meantime, you might check on HUD subsidized housing. That's 30% of your income, whatever that income may be.

I don't really have a couple years I don't think.......500 dollars is not exactly enough to live on for two years. So I really hope it does not take that long. And what exactly is behavioral health services? not sure if its what I'd be looking for but if thats just the same as mental health services then yes that would be a start maybe.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

mental health services, same thing. Once I finally hit the wall I would have been in serious trouble if I didn't have some help dealing with the system. If you can get case management through your state's mental health services this is good. It's the first few calls that are the tough part. I hate making calls.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 3:40 pm

SylviaLynn wrote:
mental health services, same thing. Once I finally hit the wall I would have been in serious trouble if I didn't have some help dealing with the system. If you can get case management through your state's mental health services this is good. It's the first few calls that are the tough part. I hate making calls.

yeah I would not really even know who to call, people have tried giving me resources but its seems I'm too stupid to figure out how the hell you use them to contact any mental health professionals who might be able to help.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm

It's not stupid to be overwhelmed by a complex system. Do you have anyone who can make those first calls for you? Or help you do the research?

10 yo dd on the spectrum

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 4:19 pm

SylviaLynn wrote:
It's not stupid to be overwhelmed by a complex system. Do you have anyone who can make those first calls for you? Or help you do the research?

Well first things first I have to try and get all the names of the therapists I've seen, I can probably just ask my mom and then once I put that info on my application I can send it in, I know how that process works. As for trying to talk to someone who could maybe help with the diagnoses stuff I really don't know anyone who even knows who I would call....so yeah I am kinda at a loss with that.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:20 pm

Keep looking for a job. It really can't hurt--if you find one you can do, then you can tell the SSI folks to stuff it 'cause you don't need them; if you don't, then you can tell them, "Look, I keep searching for a job, but the more I look the more jobs I find that I just can't do." You could get lucky, and find some little niche where you can work, after all. Don't give up on employment; really don't. Just because you're applying for disability doesn't mean you can't keep trying.

Also you should check out whatever agency in your area helps disabled people find jobs. Sometimes you can get training or education for employment; or you can get job-search advice or help with interviews, or as a last resort they can help you get hooked up with a supported employment program (where you're on disability and you don't earn much extra over the disability payments, but you do get to do real work). I wouldn't recommend supported employment, but anything else, just go for it. A person will go nuts sitting at home and doing nothing.

Speaking of going nuts: If you find you are truly unemployable--which I'll admit isn't impossible, especially with this economy--consider becoming a volunteer somewhere. That doesn't give you any money, but it does let you contribute to your community, and that sort of thing is a big part of being human, being part of your world. I highly recommend it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:28 pm

Callista wrote:
Keep looking for a job. It really can't hurt--if you find one you can do, then you can tell the SSI folks to stuff it 'cause you don't need them; if you don't, then you can tell them, "Look, I keep searching for a job, but the more I look the more jobs I find that I just can't do." You could get lucky, and find some little niche where you can work, after all. Don't give up on employment; really don't. Just because you're applying for disability doesn't mean you can't keep trying.

Also you should check out whatever agency in your area helps disabled people find jobs. Sometimes you can get training or education for employment; or you can get job-search advice or help with interviews, or as a last resort they can help you get hooked up with a supported employment program (where you're on disability and you don't earn much extra over the disability payments, but you do get to do real work). I wouldn't recommend supported employment, but anything else, just go for it. A person will go nuts sitting at home and doing nothing.

Speaking of going nuts: If you find you are truly unemployable--which I'll admit isn't impossible, especially with this economy--consider becoming a volunteer somewhere. That doesn't give you any money, but it does let you contribute to your community, and that sort of thing is a big part of being human, being part of your world. I highly recommend it.

Well technically I have not even started looking for a job at all.......I was going to college and made up my mind to be done with it, but I have not actually looked for jobs yet because I feel like its kind of a waste of time if I don't even think i would function well enough at a job. Also though if I applied and got a job then that would certainly interfere with the disability application then if I got fired I would be out of a job and probably have to restart the whole disability application process again so I guess that is part of my concern. But yeah I have not exactly had good job experiences in the past so I am not exactly very motivated to go look for another one so I can deal with more crap I can't handle.

Also I know this is blunt but I don't see what good volunteering is going to do me if I can barely afford to feed myself I mean I kind of have to spend my energy on some way of surviving before I can really think about trying to volunteer for anything. It would just be too much stress added on to it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:31 pm

Volunteering does assume you have energy left over after keeping yourself fed and warm, yes. Don't try to do too much. If you get disability, you'll have some of those problems solved, and you might have enough time left over to be able to search out unpaid work that you could do. A nice thing about it is that people who volunteer often get only a couple hours a week, and there's no way you could get work hours that short; so it's easier than keeping a paid job and is possible for many people who can't work a regular job. It's also good for your resume, later on when you figure out how to get yourself employed properly, because it shows you were doing something useful even before you started looking for a paying job; and it might teach you useful skills. And like I said--it keeps you from going nuts.

As for looking for a job while applying for disability, all I know is that I kept looking, and was even briefly employed twice (until the boss told me I couldn't do the job and kicked me out), while the application was going through. I kept the SSI office updated on my job search and how things were panning out; so they did know I was trying to get a job. It didn't seem to affect my application any.

Autism Memorial:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:38 pm

Callista wrote:
Volunteering does assume you have energy left over after keeping yourself fed and warm, yes. Don't try to do too much. If you get disability, you'll have some of those problems solved, and you might have enough time left over to be able to search out unpaid work that you could do. A nice thing about it is that people who volunteer often get only a couple hours a week, and there's no way you could get work hours that short; so it's easier than keeping a paid job and is possible for many people who can't work a regular job. It's also good for your resume, later on when you figure out how to get yourself employed properly, because it shows you were doing something useful even before you started looking for a paying job; and it might teach you useful skills. And like I said--it keeps you from going nuts.

As for looking for a job while applying for disability, all I know is that I kept looking, and was even briefly employed twice (until the boss told me I couldn't do the job and kicked me out), while the application was going through. I kept the SSI office updated on my job search and how things were panning out; so they did know I was trying to get a job. It didn't seem to affect my application any.

Yeah I have done some volunteering in the past and it can be enjoyable, but I definitely have to have the time and energy left over for it. But yeah I guess trying to apply would not be too bad, I just don't want to to do anything that will make it totally unlikely that i would get approved.

Also I the going nuts thing already started long ago so its too late to prevent that, at least in my opinion......feels like I am already half way there.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:50 pm

Nuts? Been there. Didn't like it. Came back. :lol:

Seriously, though, it's not irreversible. Mental illness, depression, whatever--people recover from that stuff. It sucks, but it's a solvable problem.

Autism Memorial:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 5:58 pm

Callista wrote:
Nuts? Been there. Didn't like it. Came back. :lol:

Seriously, though, it's not irreversible. Mental illness, depression, whatever--people recover from that stuff. It sucks, but it's a solvable problem.

I can't come back, I mean it all started at a young age the more I learned and became aware of things and observed things. Now I find myself on the other side of window trying to make sense of the society on the other side but only being disturbed by it. I don't really know its something to be reversed in my case.....it just is.

But yeah I just hope this disability thing works out or maybe some sort of employment, if not I am not really sure what the hell I'm supposed to do.