Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 10:11 am

UGH The dreaded holiday party is coming up at my office Dec 13. It's from noon till 5 I believe. I need to come up with a good excuse to leave early or not come in at all. I rather do a final exam then go to some stupid party. It's already bad enough that parents have one at the house this Friday. Eight people will be there. But at work it's going to be at least 15 people if not 30! That's way too many people and too much noise for me. I HATE HATE parties! What excuses would be good?

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Ladyfingers
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2012, 6:06 am

I've made a point of being honest and saying that I would rather work, and some employers take me at my word. Don't skive a party without clearing it. I got a reprimand for that.

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2012, 7:21 am

If the party is in the office, you could offer to work from home if possible. If it is elsewhere, offer to stay behind and man the phones (someone usually has to).

Could you stand to go along for half-an-hour or so to show your face, then fake feeling ill and leave? Pretending to be on antibiotics so can't drink makes a good get-out as well.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 9:49 am

Well it appears that around 300 people will be invited. I know that certain holiday parties have been at various restaurants in DC which I prefer rather than a pot luck. More stuff to do and clean. Not my thing.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 4:24 pm

Good to go and show your face, then skip out after like a half hour.

AlphaSister
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2012, 5:37 pm

ColdEyesWarmHeart wrote:
If the party is in the office, you could offer to work from home if possible. If it is elsewhere, offer to stay behind and man the phones (someone usually has to).

When we have parties at work I make a brief appearance and then go right back to work. Since I don't have a car no one expects me to show up at work parties given outside of work hours if they aren't easy to get to and even if they are, I just explain I'm not festive. My boss once told me it doesn't look good but I reminded him I don't want to be promoted and do my job well so it should have no bearing on my job security. I'm union so I can't get fired for not attending an outside of work party :wink:

While it isn't honest, would you be comfortable claiming you can't join in for religious reasons? Some religions (like Jehovah's Witness) don't celebrate ANY holidays or birthdays.

Ladyfingers
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2012, 8:12 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
Good to go and show your face, then skip out after like a half hour.

I have hidden in the bathroom before. Seeing you every 30 minutes is enough to convince most people that you're there.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 8:12 am

I could call in sick that day. But the gift exchange that I'm in charge of sadly starts at 2pm. The party is from noon to 4pm next Thurs at the office. I prefer the party be in a restaurant after work hours that way I have an excuse not to come.