Having to go into work on your day off

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 10:32 am

How do other Aspies cope with this? I know Aspies like myself like a promised routine, and I like to know what days I have off and what days I work, and suddenly getting a phonecall from work on a morning I'm not supposed to go in does give me anxiety attacks.

This morning I got a phonecall from work. I was out at the time, but they left a message on the home phone, which I only got when I came back in. They wanted me to come in, and said to give them a call back. I didn't, because I didn't really want to go in on my day off. NOT because of laziness or irresponsibility. I just feel all put out knowing I have the day to myself to get things done then suddenly receiving a phonecall from work asking if I could come in.

I have got a bulk of working days at the end of this week, so I did want to make the most of my days off as possible, and I hope they don't suddenly phone up on the off chance because it is going to make me feel awkward. I do hate sudden plans, and I am suffering from tiredness and depression at the moment (I am not willing to take any days off sick, but I just need my required days off to myself without feeling obliged to go in to work).

How do other Aspies cope with this?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 11:02 am

The overtime makes it worth while.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 1:32 pm

If I could take the shift I would, but it was always VERY difficult for me to do that. Routine is definitely hard for me to break, which is probably why I have been unsuccessful in maintaining employment so far.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2012, 2:15 pm

It used to upset me and also give me anxiety and I was too afraid to even bother making plans because what if I get called it. Now I don't have to worry about working on my days off and it be rare when I would. Luckily I had a boss who would understand and she would just let me have fun if I had plans by not making me come into work on my day off. Back when I wasn't working and worked occasionally, I would get a phone call asking if I want to work and I always said yes. I always had days off so it didn't matter if I worked that day.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 3:57 am

If work needs to get work needs to get done. I have come in on the weekends before, usually I would just take time off on a future day for it. I find I do my most product work too when I come in on the weekends when the office is close to finish up work.