Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

profofhumanities
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2012, 5:24 pm

Did you need a degree or a certificate to get your job, or would you be doing a different job if you had finished college?

I am a mom of an Aspie and I am currently researching transition planning in U.S. schools. I need to interview (through private messaging on WrongPlanet - no phones or face-to-face) 10 people with Asperger's who experienced transition planning during high school and then attempted college. I am hoping to interview people who had successful experiences and people who dropped classes or performed poorly. The goal is to make transition planning much better for people with Asperger's (the current method has not been shown to improve life after high school.)
So, if you are between the ages of 18 and 22, received special education services in high school based on your Asperger's, and enrolled in college courses, I would love to send you some questions and collect your stories and opinions for making transition planning better. I would send the questions to you through WrongPlanet's private message system. You can choose to remain completely anonymous, and you can help make transition planning better for the Aspies who will follow your path through high school.

If you are willing to share your stories and let me learn from you, please send me a private message here and I will send you the release form and the first questions.

henry14488
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2012, 9:11 pm

i went to university at york for computer science. i'm 3rd year. right now, but i had low grades which limits the 3rd level courses i can take. i justify my low grades because you can't get both a degree and an education. in case you wanted an education i see most people just want their degrees and go. which is why they deserve to be scammed. i'm learning, i go to lectures, but i'm not enrolled. not paying tution. when my dad went to university, university wasn't even cool.

university is such a scam. i hope you can still get even a basic job without a degree. onto topic, i don't have a job and am looking for one. i applied for a slaughter house, i got an interview, they just asked why i wanted the job. but my answer sucked and the people working there looked like criminals. didn't ask for certificate, but wanted experience which i didn't have for minimal wage.

i wished there was a company that only hired aspies. i wouldn't have to worry about a mob of ret*ds saying bad things about me. you'd have to realize that any country that uses paper instead of gold as money is not capitalistic. these inefficient companies can get funding because they're state supported invisibly. as you can tell i'm depressed. the whole point of jobs is to keep NTs occupied. it's all about population control, mind control not production or welfare or wellbeing...

we're not captalist because with gold the more factories put out, the more gold is mined. the total paper money is delibertaly kept in short supply. every buissness needs to make more than they spend. so if paper stopped being printed, overall we wouldn't make a profit.

i know this is not the response you expected. if your gonna complain plz refrain from personal attacks. i need help myself finding a job.

if this message is not interesting to you, maybe it will be to your child

profofhumanities
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2012, 10:09 pm

It does sound like you are depressed and angry on top of it. I wish I had an immediate fix for you.

What courses do you like to study? Do you think you will return to enrolling in courses for credit at some point, if only for the piece of paper that says you have a degree? I agree that a diploma does not always signify knowledge, but many employers expect it anyway. What kind of work would you enjoy?

I have heard of a few software testing companies that hire Aspies, but I am not sure about the concept. I think it presumes that all Aspies want to work with computers. It may be a great idea for those who really enjoy that kind of work, but what about Aspies with other interests?

Does anyone know of good Aspie/ASD-friendly companies?

Keyman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2012, 11:40 pm

The major and subjects is best selected by what the person finds interesting and that is attractive on the work market.

As for college a good structure of the day is a good thing. Beware of any social activities. They tend to be heavily biased for the needs of NT.

Suitable employer depend on more on how they work. But I think workplaces that require some intelligence and sharpness is preferable. As is flex time and relaxed codes of conduct.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2012, 12:31 pm

Not in my experience but I didn't get a degree I ended up dropping out. not so sure getting a degree would have helped with getting a job though.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:38 pm

henry14488 wrote:
i went to university at york for computer science. i'm 3rd year. right now, but i had low grades which limits the 3rd level courses i can take. i justify my low grades because you can't get both a degree and an education. in case you wanted an education i see most people just want their degrees and go. which is why they deserve to be scammed. i'm learning, i go to lectures, but i'm not enrolled. not paying tution. when my dad went to university, university wasn't even cool.

university is such a scam. i hope you can still get even a basic job without a degree. onto topic, i don't have a job and am looking for one. i applied for a slaughter house, i got an interview, they just asked why i wanted the job. but my answer sucked and the people working there looked like criminals. didn't ask for certificate, but wanted experience which i didn't have for minimal wage.

i wished there was a company that only hired aspies. i wouldn't have to worry about a mob of ret*ds saying bad things about me. you'd have to realize that any country that uses paper instead of gold as money is not capitalistic. these inefficient companies can get funding because they're state supported invisibly. as you can tell i'm depressed. the whole point of jobs is to keep NTs occupied. it's all about population control, mind control not production or welfare or wellbeing...

we're not captalist because with gold the more factories put out, the more gold is mined. the total paper money is delibertaly kept in short supply. every buissness needs to make more than they spend. so if paper stopped being printed, overall we wouldn't make a profit.

i know this is not the response you expected. if your gonna complain plz refrain from personal attacks. i need help myself finding a job.

if this message is not interesting to you, maybe it will be to your child

Yes, we're stuck in a broken, corrupt system driven by competition. And too much competition breaks people down, makes them turn savage, inhuman, almost machines, driven by caffeine due to a huge lack of sleep. Everything reeks competition, and I can't stand it, like the York "this is my time" campaign... hate it, hate it, hate it. I just want a decent, stable life in the middle, with enough resources to keep myself going without having to worry about money when doing something for the sake of other people. Yes, it's a terrible system, but you either can choose to die and not make a difference in anyone's life, or you work on creating a decent life for yourself while pushing to make the biggest bit of difference you possibly can make. I admit, I also think about suicide sometimes, mostly to erase the guilt of my past stupidity and the awful mistakes I have made. Sometimes I go too far and I feel like I lose my mind temporarily during these times, so sometimes I think it's probably better for me to die rather than to keep hurting all those people I have hurt in the past as a result of going too far.

A degree helps. You need to get good grades, though. And yes, sometimes it's not so much about learning, but I see it more as a bridge to the future, where I know I will have more freedom (other people do). It's frustrating for me, too, as I do want to learn more meaningfully than university allows me to. I very much hate strict curricula and prescribed assignments.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 8:53 pm

My problem was getting proper career advice... When I was in high school I was told that I could "be anything that I wanted to be" and to "follow my heart".... well, I did that, and was disappointed.

My biggest concern in university was having enough money to live on, and I ignorantly chose a university where getting a part-time job or summer job was hard to do. On top of that, I wanted to get experience in my field. The main problem was that I chose a field where jobs are scarce and competitive and my grades just wouldn't do it. So, feeling dismal about the lack of opportunities in the field, I took a year off before finishing my degree. I couldn't get any good career advice, so I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out for myself. I ended up choosing an unrelated field and wasting a good $20k or so.

henry14488
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2012, 10:53 am

what specilization did you take anyways. i hope your parents didn't force that 20K on you as debt against your will. fallow your heart haha, you don't need a degree to fallow your heart. loser. actually i spent 15k. i dropped all my courses and got a job in secret. job hunting while telling my parents i was going to school. i got a job finally and now i don't have to go to school. sry for calling you a loser, but it really made me feel good.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 3:33 pm

Henry... I think we've met... Lol you're so mean

Anyways, I just thought that they should give better advice than that. My point was that I felt lost to choose a career, not that I actually found that to be great advice -_-

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 4:26 pm

I'd like to hear more about how you can't get a degree and an education.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 6:24 pm

henry14488 wrote:
what specilization did you take anyways. i hope your parents didn't force that 20K on you as debt against your will. fallow your heart haha, you don't need a degree to fallow your heart. loser. actually i spent 15k. i dropped all my courses and got a job in secret. job hunting while telling my parents i was going to school. i got a job finally and now i don't have to go to school. sry for calling you a loser, but it really made me feel good.
No, you don't need a degree to be happy. If you're happy working in a dead- end job for the rest of your life, then it's perfectly fine. College is way better than university, anyway, especially for computer science. It's just stupid to spend all this money for uni and then get shity grades and drop out, IMO. Shouldn't have gone in the first place. I started and want to finish just because I'm already here.

Oh, and my parents are paying for my entire tuition. No debts here. I have a pretty set career path, but don't feel like disclosing the specifics at the moment. I posted about it indirectly before, though. That is what I specialize in, with a heavy emphasis on stats/research methods.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

henry14488
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2012, 6:06 pm

my parents force me back to school, after 7hrs of discussion which was 1 sided. gonna take 2 years tops to finish. should've taken college. like i'm in computers, and half the credits required isn't even computers. it's not like this in college. i just checked the college courses today. and of the computers some of them are essay courses? yes essays on computers. with the remaining courses, i'd learn faster by myself anways if i didn't get bogged down by unresonable tasks to get a mark. people think if they suffer, they deserve more. my highschool programming teacher taught me not to think that. this is about how people put so much effort into university and think they deserve something. unfortunatly my parents told me that companies actually go and verify that you actually have a degree so you can't make it up

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:16 pm

I'm confused here, are "College" and "University" different? I'm used to the US usage of the words, where they are effectively interchangable (yes, I know there is a difference).

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

In Canada they are different