Switching to Embalmer. Good idea or not?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 7:03 am

After spending a couple years in nursing and not getting ahead due to selective admissions to better certitfications, I'm considering a career shift into mortuary sciences. Not mortician, but an embalmer. Also a factor is how burned out I'm getting dealing with people in the field, even though I exclusively work nights.

Embalmer pays well, I have no issues with corpses, and from everything I can tell,mthere's is minimal interaction with other people(the Mortician deals with the families, usually).

Are there any Embalmer Aspies out there that can give me some advice?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 7:10 am

I always thought that the people at the funeral home handled that along with many other duties.

Around here the funeral homes aren't exactly busy. The one my community primarily uses may only handle two to four funerals a month. Of course, in a large town with busy funeral homes, there may be more demand for full time embalmers.

Is that about how it is where you are from?

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 7:14 am

eric76 wrote:
I always thought that the people at the funeral home handled that along with many other duties.

Around here the funeral homes aren't exactly busy. The one my community primarily uses may only handle two to four funerals a month. Of course, in a large town with busy funeral homes, there may be more demand for full time embalmers.

Is that about how it is where you are from?

Yeah, there's actually a shortage in my neck of the woods.

And in small towns, yes, the Mortician usually handles everything. But larger mortuaries here have a mortician, embalmer, and mortuary cosmetologist(makeup for the corpse).

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 8:42 am

Apparently the funeral home we use had no funerals at all in October and November 2012, seven in December 2012, and three so far in January 2013.

saraip
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2013, 5:35 am

I can't give any concrete advice about the choice, but I can tell you that it would definitely put you in a better career position - you might even be able to work at one place and then "contract" yourself out at a set fee after a while when you get more comfortable. I think it is a great idea given your training and circumstances and wish you the best of luck!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 1:10 am

Because so many of the places around here have been bought out by the big chains, even though they retain the original name and most of the employees that you see when you go there, a lot of seemingly unrelated funeral parlors ship their bodies to one central embalming office. They take the body to the embalming lab, it's embalmed that day and driven back to the funeral home the same day. There are embalmers who work there with the bodies only and never have to deal with families or anything like that. Only other embalmers. I'd love to be an embalmer but I'd also like to do the rest of the work too I think.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com