I Need the Right Organization to Launch a Career with

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Noitartst
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Apr 2013, 5:02 pm

I live in Washington State, and as of now, interms of launching a career, DVR and are useless. An organization provides me someone to work with sending out Craigslist ads, minimum...that's it. I 've done small business development centers, and they aren't into what I'm doing either, because they're looking for looking for specifics, and I ain't there, yet.

I'm ultimately looking for something like a business partner, but will settle for some sort of willing collaborator, preferably unsome organization's aegis, but what does that look like? What kinda group am I seeking, even?

I dunno, but it's blame frustrating, not even knowing if I've framed my request right.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 7:33 pm

Noitartst wrote:
I live in Washington State, and as of now, interms of launching a career, DVR and are useless. An organization provides me someone to work with sending out Craigslist ads, minimum...that's it. I 've done small business development centers, and they aren't into what I'm doing either, because they're looking for looking for specifics, and I ain't there, yet.

I'm ultimately looking for something like a business partner, but will settle for some sort of willing collaborator, preferably unsome organization's aegis, but what does that look like? What kinda group am I seeking, even?

I dunno, but it's blame frustrating, not even knowing if I've framed my request right.

I'm having some trouble understanding the question you are asking. Could you be a bit more clear?

As near as I can tell, you are trying to set up a business but do not yet have a clear statement of what that business would be. If this is an accurate interpretation of your post, I can certainly understand why no one would be interested in working with you. You need to be clear and specific so people can make informed decisions as to whether they want to work with you.

If I've misunderstood you, please provide a clearer picture of the problem you are facing and what help you are seeking.

Noitartst
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Apr 2013, 3:40 pm

You're right--I'm not as clear and focused as I want to be, and that's in part because I am looking for the right collaborator.

I learn and operate best looking over someone's shoulder, and essentially haven't been able to solve that part of the equation, and don't know how to do so, really. I've got huge ambitions--huge--and ideally need someone with high motivation who shares them. If someone's not willing and able to filter through the minutiae of of specific projects with me, though, I simply won't be able to function--I know myself.

Worried? You bet I am--I battled anxiety disorder for almost two decades, and am loath to place myself in a position where it may reoccur. I want a safety net in place, and am trying to set one up.

Basically, creating a safety net comes first before projects, but I've had a hard time creating one. How do I go about doing that? Most agencies are project-specific, and me, I'm still trying to find the right collaborator/business partner, which mostly has fallen under running Craigslist Ads.

I have a mission statement--Changing the World. Specifically, I've got a musical whose master notes are four, five inches thick, a couple patents, a few business ideas, a children's book, and lots of other, assorted thoughts too numerous to count. Someone other than myself needs to apply structure and nuts-n'-bolts implementation to make them real, though, because such are beyond my limits.

However, how do I, someone with Aspergers, find the right collaborator/business partner, or safety net--regardless of definition? What agency, or volunteer organization, would set me up with one?

I don't know--I simply, categorically, don't know.

Noitartst
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Apr 2013, 1:34 pm

Associates, I ran the following Craigslist ad; tell me what you think of it.

Someone with World-changing Ambitions Seeks a Schmoozer‏

Changing the world may seem to you like an idle slogan, but if changing the world interests you, this should interest you, because that's what I intend to do. Aside from creating the world's greatest musical, I also have a plan for a vortex engine, one that could solve the world's energy problems. Aside from that, I have a method that could revolutionize contemporary punditry, abolishing the chronic pain of having to watch them talk past each other, instead of engaging in substance. Aside from all that, I've just a whole mess of business ideas that I'd love get implemented.

But, I have just one problem. For all my ambitions, I happen to lack the talent of schmoozing. As the Urban Dictionary puts it, a schmoozer is:

A person skilled in the art of ingratiating small talk -- talk that is business oriented, designed to both provide and solicit personal information but avoids overt pitching.

I ain't a schmoozer, folks; I have a tendency to be a mite too candid at times, be less than diplomatic, and insult where sweet talk would be golden. They say know your limits, and schmoozing's one o' mine.

As a result, I am looking for a schmoozer's assistance, a partner in crime, if you will. If you're an ambitious, gregarious individual that loves parties, networking, and "making friends," you'll be perfect, (and if you're telegenic to boot, you'll be superlative).

Hopefully, trekking to Southern California to seek out movers 'n shakers to wine and dine appeals to you, because it appeals to me as well. As you're already a schmoozer by nature, and per this ad's qualifications an ambitious one, this should be right up you alley, given you'd only be playing in a bigger sandbox, and with more famous and influential ones to book.

Your incentive to work with me is simple: Proximity is a prime determinant of wealth, and picking your associates is nigh the same as determining one's tax bracket. I aim to become a mover and shaker, obviously, and if you don't precisely want what I want, I'll assume hanging out in that scene must be tempting, and must at any rate be natural allies.

I'll have to examine your skill set, somehow, though, and I'll have to be able to trust you; contact me, mingle with my people, and let's see how it goes.

Compensation: This will be a partnership, a fusion of skillsets with the goal of "making it."
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

Got some interestin' comments, even high praise, to say the least, but no takers. Suggestions to make a better ad? Recommendations for a better fishing pond? I want to succeed, and am seeking ideas to do so.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 11:58 am

Noitartst, I'm going to be as nice as I can on this one.

I cannot see a realistic case where you would attract the sort of assistant/partner(s) you are looking for. Without going into details, I was approached once (in a rather rude manner I might add) to join a business plan that was effectively thrown together through some e-mail exchanges. I drove out, on a holiday, and took a look for 5 minutes, and started asking questions. Needless to say, it did'nt go forward.

That plan had a fixed location, a prelimary estimate of costs, and someone willing and able to work to make it happen. It was unfeasable, but it had qualities that made it look worth a drive. If someone brings me a vague idea, I generally don't even bother returning phone calls, because that person is'nt showing a serious desire to ask my advice, and is looking for free help.

elsing
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2013, 6:54 am

You ask for a trust but why would anyone trust you, you advert gives the impression of varied unfocused grand ideas then the word mess is used and you admit to being not diplomatic. It sound like an unstable opportunity

I'm not implying you are not to be trusted or unstable but I do sense that you get very excited by you ideas and frustrated that they are a not realized - I am very much the same, people no longer help me because if by fluke I have convinced them of my plan I have later become captivated by something else so when they want a progress report i may have one to give them but on an entirely different idea. Subsequently help dissipates.

You ask for help with schmoozing but no plan on how you intend to focus yourself, sounds like you need an employee not a partner Someone who can organise for you.

Naturally this is expensive so you may have only one option available, that is to focus yourself.

A book helped me - what to do when you want to do everything by Barbara Sher. It helped me develop a system for focusing with this kind of mindset.
With the advice hear i have managed to isolate one obtainable idea, develop it and even begin realising it.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2013, 9:05 am

I agree with what others have been saying here. While there is nothing wrong in having many scattered interests, when setting up a business plan, you need to limit it to a manageable set of tightly focused goals.

I had one business venture that was far more successful than it had any right to be and I think a lot of the reason was I kept a tight focus on how I presented my work to clients. I wanted to get work as a commercial photographer. (I do good, commercial work, so it wasn't a question of skill). I recognized that art directors at magazines would not have the time or patience to look at a portfolio of work that included portraits, architectural, product, landscape etc. I needed to show them one narrowly focused kind of photography if I hoped to get work.

While dealing with people (especially strangers) did not appeal to me, I could see that there was a high demand for eclectic portraits and it was a kind of photography I could do well. So I limited my promotional material to just that. I forced myself to make calls to art directors to whom I had sent material, but I was aware that their time was valuable and my calls needed to respect that. Another aspect that helped me was that I targeted trade magazines rather than popular consumer magazines since there is more competition for work in the well known markets and little in the scattered industry publications.

I have run into other photographers who do not want to limit their portfolios and as a result, it can be hard to get a sense of their style. Because my portfolio showed only images of people in interesting environments, the art directors knew what sort of image they would get if they hired me. Oddly enough this lead me to getting work shooting a book of interior designs that had practically no shots of people in them at all.

So my suggestion is for you to tightly limit the scope of the business you want to set up and worry about how you will expand it later.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 8:11 pm

You should come up with a list of ideas, and take workshops on grants, funding, setting up business/organizational objectives. Your best bet would be to take some college (and I don't mean university, but community college) level courses on this. Personally, I only go for jobs that have a specific salary and that are from established organizations... people value being paid. Aspies can do the organizational thing... it sounds like you need a life coach/ADHD coach to assist you in learning and developing organizational skills.