Just wondering if these statements are true?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:15 pm

If you want a job you have to do stuff your not comfortable with?

If you want a job you have to work with people you hate?

Are both these statements true?

What are your opinions

...Discuss...

IQ: 106
BAP: 126 aloof / 129 rigid / 114 pragmatic
[Mild-Aspergers]

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:50 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

As a general rule, YES to both.

Every job has tasks you won't like doing. Every job tends to have people you don't care for (how bad does vary).

It's rare for me to meet anyone who has a job where they love everything they do and have no issues with anyone they deal with. Usually, with the former, they hire people to do the tasks they don't want to do.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:24 pm

If you want to keep your job, the you will have to do things you don't like and work with people that you hate. You will also have to work in places that are uncomfortable, at times that you would rather be somewhere else, and when you feel so awful that you'd really rather not work at all. The only real alternative is unemployment.

That's life, kid.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:25 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

Every job has tasks you won't like doing. Every job tends to have people you don't care for (how bad does vary).

It's rare for me to meet anyone who has a job where they love everything they do and have no issues with anyone they deal with. Usually, with the former, they hire people to do the tasks they don't want to do.

Thank you for confirming my theory that I know now its just part of having a job (those two statements) and if I don't want either of those I have to be unemployed which I don't want, and that those are just things you have to deal with if you want a pay check at the end of the week. I can now stop looking for the 'perfect' job without those things involved and just realise it is what it is.

[Mild-Aspergers]

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:33 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

Also as a general rule would you rather be the Best of the worst or the worst of the best.

Do you feel more comfortable the smarted guy working with morons
Or the smart guy working with people who make you feel dumb?

Not sure if i explained that right but you might get what I mean...

[Mild-Aspergers]

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
If you want to keep your job, the you will have to do things you don't like and work with people that you hate. You will also have to work in places that are uncomfortable, at times that you would rather be somewhere else, and when you feel so awful that you'd really rather not work at all. The only real alternative is unemployment.

That's life, kid.

I'm slowly realising this, new moto will be "That's Life"

[Mild-Aspergers]

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:44 pm

As far as having to work with people we don't like while doing things we hate, there is good news and bad news.

The bad news is that at one time or another, all workers had to do things they didn't like, and with people they didn't like either. There used to be a word in common usage not too many years ago to describe dealing gracefully with things not always going our way: maturity.

The good news is that if you play your cards right, and if you are lucky, one day you may be in a situation where you can minimize your dealings with people and tasks you don't like. This would include trying to find work in your special interests, or at least as close to them as possible. This is really easy for technically inclined aspies whose responsibilities are dealing with things rather than people. As far as only dealing with coworkers we like, if you stick with your job long enough, you might find you are the boss. Then it is the responsibility of your employees to get along with you.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:48 pm

Fnord wrote:

That's life, kid.

Agreed. Though, this can be mitigated (at least partially) by developing highly sought after skills. As then you can have more flexibility (in deciding who you will “do business” with).

I personally have found contracting (as opposed to full time exempt employment) to be the best alternative. As, the rules for engagement is extremely straightforward (as you are exchanging time for money). And you have flexibility to move on (especially if you have those highly sought after skills) should you tire of your current gig.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:12 pm

My whole job history has been nothing but torture, misery and pain. Hell, I even seriously tried to kill myself when, at 30, I realized I was stuck in my job and couldn't pursue my dream of becoming a professional musician. Death? Where was your sting?

Now that I'm older, I keep my fingers crossed hoping I can make it to retirement in one piece. Given my history, that's a big if. Still, I'll give it a shot.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:12 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

What are your opinions

...Discuss...

Both false.

Many workers do have to do things that they are not comfortable with and many have to work with people they dislike or even hate.

But that said, there is no requirement that any job you get involves working with people you don't like and doing tasks that you feel uncomfortable doing.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:44 pm

eric76 wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

What are your opinions

...Discuss...

Both false.

Many workers do have to do things that they are not comfortable with and many have to work with people they dislike or even hate.

But that said, there is no requirement that any job you get involves working with people you don't like and doing tasks that you feel uncomfortable doing.

Not sure if you read that correctly.

But in all my working experiences I've always worked with people I didn't like probably thru my own fault as I am very picky when it comes to people, and always had to do things I didn't feel comfortable doing the only plus side was when someone understanding would step in and deal with the kind of things most aspies can't cope with.

[Mild-Aspergers]

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:46 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

That's life, kid.

Agreed. Though, this can be mitigated (at least partially) by developing highly sought after skills. As then you can have more flexibility (in deciding who you will “do business” with).

I personally have found contracting (as opposed to full time exempt employment) to be the best alternative. As, the rules for engagement is extremely straightforward (as you are exchanging time for money). And you have flexibility to move on (especially if you have those highly sought after skills) should you tire of your current gig.

I really like the idea of contracting that way you can work more where you get on with the people and cut short the contracts where you don't get on with the people. How did you/how do you get the work in the first place? and what services do you offer?

[Mild-Aspergers]

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 4:45 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
I really like the idea of contracting that way you can work more where you get on with the people and cut short the contracts where you don't get on with the people. How did you/how do you get the work in the first place? and what services do you offer?

TB* I work in software product development. Primarily as a Project Manager or Business Analyst. I try to get gigs where I work mostly with people in Engineering or Testing as the interactions with these folks are based upon logic and problem solving (and involve mostly exchange of information).

I spent almost 20 years working in corporate hell before doing the contract route. I should have done it earlier.

I suggest you read some of Temple Grandin’s posts. She discusses the type of jobs that are good fits for Aspies. I was fortunate that computers and software were one of my special interest as a child. As it dovetailed nicely into software product development.

As a note, multiple times I have gotten “fed up” with my line of work. But I always return. Why? That darned special interest. I simply am fascinated with computers, software, internet and information management.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 5:52 pm

Yes.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 1:06 am

Yes, you have to work with people you don't like and do things you don't want. Not every job is unpleasant in both areas at the same time, so many jobs can be made pleasant.

Thing with contracts is, you have to be able to line up enough in a row to make things work. And to do that, sometimes you have to work well with people who can later recommend you, and sometimes people that you don't start out liking. I have worked on projects beforehand, or have been a contract worker. It is not fun, lining up jobs. I know that contracting yourself out and being on contract are not always the same thing, but making sure you have enough work to get by can be like a job in itself.

Just saying.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 2:52 am

managertina wrote:
It is not fun, lining up jobs. I know that contracting yourself out and being on contract are not always the same thing, but making sure you have enough work to get by can be like a job in itself.

I 100% agree. It’s been a struggle for me.

It seems (at least to me) that there are two keys to success for the contracting path. First, develop highly sought after skills. Second, as Dr. Grandin suggests, “Sell your work, not your personality”. It’s doable. Of course, nothing worth doing is easy.