what kind of people understand the importance of an IT guy?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:12 pm

What kind of people understand the importance of an IT guy?

People who don't just think of IT support as an insurance policy they have to have but understand the importance of having someone with knowledge and invest money in IT because they know it is important.

IQ: 106
BAP: 126 aloof / 129 rigid / 114 pragmatic
[Mild-Aspergers]

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 1:52 pm

People who think magic gnomes make their PC work.

I'm pretty tech savvy, but I'm no IT person. More so, if I had to do IT work in an office of X size, it would be a full-time job...or at least I'd have to stop my usual tasks until the IT work was completed. You can't multi-task certain IT projects because once you start, the computers stay down until you finish.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:38 pm

People who understand how computers and computer networks operate. I can't fully appreciate the importance of IT people because I'm not tech-savvy enough.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:19 pm

Same sort of individual who does'nt appreciate what other people do in general.

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2013, 4:55 pm

In my experience noone does. Even if they come to you because "a virus deleted all my important files, can you please undelete them?".
Just watch popular TV shows - IT is always like magic (i.e. if you know the secret, everything takes about a second and is super easy). If you're in networking / security, you can basically hack some random person's GPS and make their car crash or explode, or get financial data about them in levels of detail not available anywhere else, and of course you can hack the government and its institutions. If you're in software, they ask you to develop a copy of facebook and get all confused when you tell them it will take longer than a week and cost more than $1000.

People know it's important to have IT people, just like they know it's important to have a vacuum cleaner, and they have about the same level of respect for both.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 8:36 am

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Same sort of individual who does'nt appreciate what other people do in general.

Wow. So true if someone is a d!ck to people they are going to be the same regardless of the scenario.

[Mild-Aspergers]

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 8:37 am

LookTwice wrote:
In my experience noone does. Even if they come to you because "a virus deleted all my important files, can you please undelete them?".
Just watch popular TV shows - IT is always like magic (i.e. if you know the secret, everything takes about a second and is super easy). If you're in networking / security, you can basically hack some random person's GPS and make their car crash or explode, or get financial data about them in levels of detail not available anywhere else, and of course you can hack the government and its institutions. If you're in software, they ask you to develop a copy of facebook and get all confused when you tell them it will take longer than a week and cost more than $1000.

People know it's important to have IT people, just like they know it's important to have a vacuum cleaner, and they have about the same level of respect for both.

Nice quote lol: Same level of respect for IT people as they do for a vacuum cleaner.

I agree.

[Mild-Aspergers]

broben05
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jun 2013, 9:37 am

people don't respect the it guy, or at least they only respect them at the level they may respect a janitor. People might respect the janitor more as they can clearly see what the janitor does, if the janitor didn't come in to work everything would be dirty, people would be upset. IT guy doesn't come into work maybe nothing goes wrong, however, if something did people would be upset and think the IT guy is worthless. I feel like the only time I am appreciated is when I fix a disaster for my company. Otherwise I'm just someone who people don't understand, or care to understand.

Loyd16
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jun 2013, 2:34 am

I am not an IT but i can say IT is challenging work and it is really very important now to a business that they have a IT staff.I been a mystery shopper in Finland at http://www.informatumresearch.fi/ and i also seen a lot of IT in that country and i heard that they are the top 3 in providing a good IT services in whole world.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2013, 3:01 pm

It's been many years since IT guys where truly appreciated. Now that IT can be outsourced off shore its as though we are seen as Mac Job workers.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:12 am

How many Aspies have the social skills to work in IT support?

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 3:25 pm

Whether the person works in another department or even in I.T., I believe their level of appreciation for the I.T. staff relates to how much they interact with them. These are people that we work with on almost a daily basis.

Then there are people we rarely work with, that view I.T. people as tools, as a machine to be access when they need something. They are the ones who are likely to be insensitive and dismissive of I.T.’s efforts. Sometimes, and I’m thinking of a Fiscal Management director we had years ago, who seemed to have an inflated view of himself, treated everyone as his little pawn.

However, I see it working the other way as well. I see plenty of I.T. people that questions every task they are asked perform. “Is it really necessary?” There seems to little appreciation on both sides of the data stream.

In terms of monetary appreciation, as in budgets, I don’t have a whole lot of direct experience with that. Standing on the periphery, for 29 years (I worked 4 years as a systems operator), it seems it has to do with the people at the top, their education, and the trends in the industry. In our case, we’ve gone from having to justify budgeting for one personal computer (the first personal computer) to share between our manager and director, to having a budget greater than any other department. It all has to do with who controls the budget. We are fortune to have a financial person that has had an interest in computers, and was young when he was hired. He understood that technology is important in healthcare and a top not I.T. department was worth the money. Still, it’s not like we get a blank check.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 3:40 pm

Lonermutant wrote:

You know I really think that depends on the Aspie. I have pretty pathetic social skills, however, in the role of a programmer, even though I don't like being treated like a machine, I am performing a function. The people I work with, the ones I work with all the time, have a common interest, a common problem. So it's not small talk, though a few people I've known long enough that I know about their family, so I'll ask how Biffy or Sally is doing, because I know people love talking about their children. Then they ask me about my sons and I say. "Eh, their ok." Then I'll try to pad it out a bit with a story about our latest game of Age of Empires II, which I'm suddenly terrible at, or F1 2012, which I'm also suddenly terrible at. Kids grow up. They get better then their dad. Life goes on. See how easy that was. These mad social skills didn't happen over night! LOL

However, if it is someone I don't know well or at all, the interaction is totally different. They sometimes seem hesitant to let me near their computer.

I don't think one needs to be an Aspie to be an introvert though, and sometimes, I've help them too, so everyone is uncomfortable. Actually I feel a bit more comfortable with an introvert.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 9:48 am

pcgoblin wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:

You know I really think that depends on the Aspie. I have pretty pathetic social skills, however, in the role of a programmer, even though I don't like being treated like a machine, I am performing a function. The people I work with, the ones I work with all the time, have a common interest, a common problem. So it's not small talk, though a few people I've known long enough that I know about their family, so I'll ask how Biffy or Sally is doing, because I know people love talking about their children. Then they ask me about my sons and I say. "Eh, their ok." Then I'll try to pad it out a bit with a story about our latest game of Age of Empires II, which I'm suddenly terrible at, or F1 2012, which I'm also suddenly terrible at. Kids grow up. They get better then their dad. Life goes on. See how easy that was. These mad social skills didn't happen over night! LOL

However, if it is someone I don't know well or at all, the interaction is totally different. They sometimes seem hesitant to let me near their computer.

I don't think one needs to be an Aspie to be an introvert though, and sometimes, I've help them too, so everyone is uncomfortable. Actually I feel a bit more comfortable with an introvert.

I think what Lonermutant means is an Aspie having to build and maintain working relationships with clients over the phone. At most they could probably speak to them over the phone but I duno about talking a lot to build and maintain the relationship in an IT support role. But like you say you can make some chat with the direct people you work with.

[Mild-Aspergers]

Pabalebo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2013, 12:18 am

Meteorologists care about IT people! The company that just hired me as a meteorologist was looking for one until about 2-3 days ago!

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 8:53 am

Pabalebo wrote:
Meteorologists care about IT people! The company that just hired me as a meteorologist was looking for one until about 2-3 days ago!

Wheres the nearest Meteorologists centre in England?