Top 5 jobs that you as an Aspie would never want

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 12:13 pm

This is like the ''Top 5 worst jobs for Aspies'' thread but a bit more personal, being so one Aspie could look at a job as the idea of a nightmare for them but another Aspie could look at the same job and it might be the job for them. I think the 5 jobs that I would never do because of my AS are:-

1. Customer Service Adviser

2. Waitress

3. Carer

4. Teacher (especially with older children)

5. Policewoman/guard

There are about a million more I wouldn't want to do, but those are the top 5 I know I wouldn't be able to do, unless I became more confident. What jobs would you never want to do, or make you anxious to even think about?

XenSmithy
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2013, 1:04 pm

I would never be a policeman or customer service advisor.
But I would love to be a waiter/server or even a bus boy for that matter.
I would never be a teacher for K-12 but a college professor would be cool.

My top five have to be:

1. Cashier or money handler (bank clerk, banker, etc.)

2. Early child educator (I do not work well with small kids)

3. Race car driver

4. Construction worker

5. Telemarketer

LoverOfDragons
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm

1. Some employee at a fast food restaurant
2. Lawyer
3. Musician
4. News reporter
5. Surgeon

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 1:15 pm

1. salesperson
2. lawyer
3. fashion designer
4. debt collector
5. politician

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 1:31 pm

Any job where I'd have to be around more than two or three people, have no privacy, work in a room with harsh white florescent lights, noisy and or really dangerous equipment, wear an uncomfortable or tacky uniform, be stuck behind a counter all day, be on my feet all day, have to tell lies as part of my job, have a boss constantly yelling and telling me everything I've been doing my whole life is wrong, have to leave for work earlier than 11 am, don't get to go home earlier than 2 PM, have to work in extreme heat or, to a lesser degree, cold, have to put my life in danger, have to save someone else in danger, have to see, smell, or handle disgusting substances, have to see people under horrific amounts of physical and/or emotional stress.

That's pretty well nearly ALL jobs, isn't it? No wonder I'm an unemployed loser who still gets extra money from her parents. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to be a cartoonist or a writer/illustrator for children's novels, but you need money to get a publisher among other things. :roll: And even if you do get your stuff published there's all the "fun" waiting to see if not readers will like it or not, and if they due there's pressure from fans, deadlines, writer's block, and on and ON. :(

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2013, 2:21 pm

1. Salesperson/telemarketer

2. Actress/hooker

3. Paparazzi

4. Greeter/hostess

5. Motivational speaker

lucious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2013, 3:10 am

Sales! Nothing holds a candle to how inappropriate this is for Aspies.

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 3:52 am

Politician: In my opinion, most politicians are so cunning and complicated to the extent that I suspect that they might not be 100% sane. Most politicians (whom I know of) have already perfected the art of "speaking a lot but meaning very little".
Engineer: I don't understand Physics and Chemistry. I don't understand most Math topics either. Somebody introduced me to AutoCAD years ago, but argh, I couldn't figure it out despite referring to countless online tutorials. Besides, I don't even have the necessary qualifications.
Driver: I failed to obtain any driving license and I don't intend to sign up for driving lessons again. I'm okay with the theoretical aspects of driving but once I'm in a vehicle, my mind-body/hand-eye-leg coordination is forever "off".
Soldier: I'm so slow and clumsy that I can't possibly pass any physical fitness test. Besides, I'm highly likely to hurt myself and/or others if I ever have the chance to handle weapons.
Architect: I always have a hard time visualizing anything in my mind. Architects are supposed to possess high visual-spatial intelligence whereas I can't imagine any 2D image in its 3D form and vice versa.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2013, 4:51 pm

Sales
Waitress/Other Food Service (McDonald's, etc.)
Receptionist (lasted two weeks in this job before losing it completely)
Government Clerk/Other Busy Office Position (Secretary, etc.)
Politician

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 10:17 pm

A certain subset of aspies can be successful at emergency services.

If you have a logical and level head, don't let your emotions run you, and can tolerate high stress/loud noises, it can be an incredible job.

When people need help, they need someone who can be logical and level headed.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 10:40 pm

1. Salesperson
2. Consultant
3. Childcare worker
4. Secretary, Personal Assistant or Receptionist (other admin is okay)
5. Anything in the mining industry or any other industry that I'd have ethical issues with

OnPorpoise wrote:
5. Motivational speaker

:lol: Nice one. I laughed out loud trying to imagine myself motivating people as my profession!

mountainhermit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2013, 10:48 pm

Short Order Cook

Stockbroker

Anything that directly deals with vivisection

Tour guide

Debt collector (harshly telling people they'll be out on the streets is horrifying)

Quinntilda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2013, 8:40 pm

1. Office worker (cant stand all the drama people put in there)
2. Lawyer/ attorney (no one likes them)
3. Doctor (don't want to be with sick people all day)
4. Photographer (cant hold still)
5. Telemarketer/phone support (They are all annoying)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 12:35 pm

lucious wrote:
Sales! Nothing holds a candle to how inappropriate this is for Aspies.

I only came up with one, too. I've done some of the jobs on this page, and I left because of jerks in management rather than the job itself.

BritAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2013, 3:08 am

1) Teacher

2) Care worker

3) Social worker

4) Child minder

5) Youth club worker

Really anything that has to have those ghastly emotions (Love and Empathy which thankfully I'm lacking in)

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 8:38 am

For me, I would say
1) Call Centre: Just about every job opening around here is for a f***ing call centre and I know I would only last a day. I normally try something but I KNEW this is a waste of time and refused an interview. If most NT's can't do this job Aspies have ZERO chance!
2) Commissioned Sales: In addition to the obvious lack of BS skills, I have a problem over analyzing things to death and would be burned out very quickly. That and the lack of a stable income would stress me out.
3) White Collar/Executive Office: So much phoniness it made me physically sick the last time I saw it. How can ANYONE work in such an environment without being a sociopath? Looks like a pack of dogs sniffing each other's butts to me.
4) Retail Manager: There's a reason all the managers I know are either sociopaths OR drink and smoke heavily. Need I say more?
5) Stockbroker: I actually planned on doing this for a career? What drug was I on? VERY high stress and VERY cutthroat! If you care about humanity or anyone else in the slightest you will be eaten alive. I literally think a prison would be a healthier (and safer) environment. Based on evading regulators and knowing all the unwritten rules i.e. not for Aspies. Again, mostly made up of alcoholics or sociopaths.

I originally planned on working at a bank after graduation but quickly learned if you want to make over $30,000 a year you better be able to slit someone's throat without hesitation and better not harbor any delusions of having any personal interests.

On a lighter note, many have suggested I would make a great goalie gear salesperson because I know how to translate marketing speak and believe in seeing everyone as an individual. However, dealing with spoiled rotten teenagers all day long whose idea of suffering is having to put down the phone for 5 minutes to try on $4000 worth of gear Mommy and/or Daddy are paying for would get frustrating very quickly given what I had to sacrifice to play myself. I also had an interview with a company that professional organizes closets/houses and the lady told me many of their clients are depressed because they have to downgrade from a million dollar home to a $500,000 home due to foreclosure. I had to resist saying "aw boo f****ing hoo!!" :lol: