Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sonataform
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2013, 8:12 am

I already have a disability but found out this year I have aspergers. I was wondering how people approach the topic of aspergers/autism with employers and what kinds of adjustments are involved with interviews and working. I really want to know because I'm realising I am at a disadvantage and have been all my life.

StatsNerd
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2013, 9:03 am

I would not mention it during the interview, unless you feel it's completely relevant. Also depends on the job - if it's a job where you'll be working with the public a lot, you need to be aware of your abilities. I have another disability as well - physical - and that comes up during interviews w/r/t adjustments/accommodations. The social things I don't bring up - when I have to work with people, I have to work with people. In my current position, that happens very infrequently. I haven't been diagnosed yet (work in progress???); if I am, I still in all likelihood will not mention it to my boss. To me, it's not relevant.

BenoitMtl
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2013, 11:33 am

sonataform wrote:
I already have a disability but found out this year I have aspergers. I was wondering how people approach the topic of aspergers/autism with employers and what kinds of adjustments are involved with interviews and working. I really want to know because I'm realising I am at a disadvantage and have been all my life.

Do not mention it. When HR will ask you about your strength : Tell that you can work without direct supervision, that you have attention to detail, etc.
About weakness, that you do not like to work under pressure.
As sonataform told, You must consider a work environment that will fit you. I can not imagine myself working in a noisy or overcrowded place.

I do not consider being Asperger as a disability.

StatsNerd
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2013, 12:00 pm

BenoitMtl wrote:
sonataform wrote:

Do not mention it. When HR will ask you about your strength : Tell that you can work without direct supervision, that you have attention to detail, etc.
About weakness, that you do not like to work under pressure.
As sonataform told, You must consider a work environment that will fit you. I can not imagine myself working in a noisy or overcrowded place.

I do not consider being Asperger as a disabilit
y.

This. It's about strengths and weaknesses; Asperger's/ASD is no different. I see matrix algebra rotations in my head - this is a strength. I'm blunt - this is a strength for me, but I've come to realize not so much for the person on the receiving end.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2013, 9:27 am

Disclosing works, but not during the interview. You are not lying if you don't broach it then. For the 'fault', take something that is less consequential to the job and detail how you want to improve it, your plans for improvement, etc. For my job, there is no scheduling or payroll. I used to have issues in those areas. I talked about how I would like to improve at them and gave a few sample things I would do to try.

Disclosing is good to do, though, in my experience. It stopped me being fired. Again. My feeling is, if you do disclose, keep it positive overall, but be to the point about the negatives. Think through solutions to the negatives before you talk... it is YOUR job to look out for yourself first before it is your manager's job to help you... and allow some time for questions.

Pm me if you are interested in a disclosure 'template' that I have. It has worked well on a few occasions. I came out at work this year, which was hard.