Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AndrewBoucher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2013, 12:52 pm

Hi everyone,

First let me start by saying this is my first forum post and I am very happy to have WrongPlanet at my disposal for seeking some advice.

I am going to a work conference in the Domincan Republic in about a month. I have been really excited about this trip for the past few months because it is my first time out of the country and I am going with a few coworkers. But today I found out that I will the only one from my company that will be attending the conference. I am really nervous now since I have never been out of the country and I have only flown by myself once. The most troubling part to the situation is that I am worried about interacting with people at the conference and using the resort bars, restaurants, pools, and other amenities by myself. I have a lot of trouble grocery shopping by myself, so trying to navigate a resort alone and seems extremely overwhelming. I am worried that I'll be so nervous about everything that I will just shutdown not take any valuable information away from the conference. My boss is paying quite a bit of money to send me on this trip so I want to make sure he doesn't feel like it was wasted :?

Any advice, especially from people who have traveled abroad alone or people who attend work conferences/conventions, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for the replies!

-Andrew

BenoitMtl
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2013, 1:14 pm

You probably go to a place where all is inclusive .. . You will probably stay whole time in the resort without travel to the conference center, so it will more easy for you.
Regarding conferences, I do not try to interact when I am attending but to get valuable info and knowledge for me and the company I am working for.
For buffets, drinks, etc, give good tips. People who work there are not well paid and you will receive good service in return without the need to talk to them...
I went one time to one resort, a week full inclusive and while everybody was around bar or the swimming pool, I enjoyed the ocean. More place and less people.
For networking with other participant, prepare a little speech describing what you do within your company, your expertise in your domain.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 2:08 pm

I went to a conference this summer. It was a lot of fun. I kept a good list of the rooms I was attending presentations and took notes.