One-on-one hands on 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Classroom based 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
From books 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6

hackshaq
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2014, 10:08 pm

I am wondering the proportion of my fellow aspie types who can learn technical skills from video tutorials as opposed to those who are unable to learn via video tutorials. I am interested if you are able to learn from videos and, if so, do you feel that this is the best way for you to learn. In my work place. I am pushing for the company to provide the IT team with access to a group account at a video training site. The response was that if I wanted to learn something, I should go buy a book which is NOT how I learn. Printed words don't work for me.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 4:56 pm

I am visually impaired so I am far from average, but for me, video tutorials are hell on earth. I remember having to pause and re-start a video like 20-ish times until I understood a sentence of the speaker because he had an unfamiliar accent. It also forces me to a certain pace which might be painfully slow or blindingly fast. Or both in the same video. Give me something to read, access to dict.leo.org and preferably something to test with and I'm great!

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 1:11 pm

With video a lot depends on the presenter. So I chose books. A lot of times I need both.

Most people from what I notice prefer have the item put in front of them and then figure it out themselves. But I learn things from a manual that I never would have by thought of myself. Once I am done reading the manual from front to back then I go on it to figure what methods and applications I prefer. My method flusters most other people.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman