Being careful of WHO who work for?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2014, 8:10 pm

Graduated from college in 2013 with a bachelor of arts in History with a little bit of geography. Currently I am in a job training program courtesy of the state BVR and the Goodwill to help me get an office job to gain valuable experience I need in order to get a Government job. I don't doubt that government jobs have their unspoken pitfalls as well but the private sector is what concerns me at this time.

Currently I am working night shift and I hate it to say the least. However I remind myself that it is temporary and of course I have my nights off to do what I have to do to make myself feel like a person.

Now I have the supports to help me out with the Asperger aspect, however I also am interested in learning about websites or books that teach you what to expect as far as white collar private sector goes in an economy that benefits the elites and some minorities rather than the masses. In the short term before I get the government job I am looking for living wages and decent working hours. I could go 45 hours a week. Maybe even 50 but no more than that. Also by Friday I want to be out the door by 5:00 p.m.

I'm all eyes on suggestions.

I'm all eyes.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 12:19 pm

Big institutions (hospitals, universities, corporate HQ's) are good to work for, in a support role.
I've stuck with them since they've got good benefits, but, the regular hours are also super nice.

For the past year, I've been a system administrator. So, while we get bank holidays and all leave between 4 and 5pm, I have to work some odd hours to push system changes.

Even then, I know it's better working for a company like this with regular hours.

The only problem is if you get an entrenched department head with a big ego. I had to fight the problems with that at my last job (luckily not my head, but, a department I had to work with a lot, the staff were all afraid of him and could never make any decisions or change anything that we needed). But, you just have to ask around and see if the department is run by someone like that.

I know only one person in my current company, but, I knew a couple consultants who've worked on this site, and they were able to give me a personality profile of my VP that I knew was compatible to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 1:38 pm

Yep.....Civil Service work would be ideal for you.

It's done me well, these past 33 years.