Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 11:12 pm

I recently got accepted by an online tutoring website. I figured that as a starting career, this might me a good fit for me; I don't have to deal with people face-to-face, and I just help them understand math concepts without creating detailed, complex lesson plans. One thing stopping me from getting to work is that I need to create my own bank account. Does anyone know how I can create one for free in the US? I hear that creating bank accounts is usually expensive, and since my weekly salary isn't much, I feel like I'm in a bit of a quandary.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 11:53 pm

You could try Googling a local credit union, which would make you a shareholder as opposed to an account holder. That's what I use.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Sep 2014, 12:34 am

Actually - JP Morgan Chase does really cheap accounts. As long as you have some money you can put in right a way and pay $5 a month, you should be golden. The hard part is that you have to go make one in person, but it's better than doing a really expensive one over the internet.

Definitely don't go to a local credit union unless you know for certain what their prices and reputation are.

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Sep 2014, 7:11 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Actually - JP Morgan Chase does really cheap accounts. As long as you have some money you can put in right a way and pay $5 a month, you should be golden. The hard part is that you have to go make one in person, but it's better than doing a really expensive one over the internet.

Definitely don't go to a local credit union unless you know for certain what their prices and reputation are.

Credit unions tend to be smaller, friendlier, and more apt to take the time to help you understand what they are offering. Plus, you help fuel the local economy instead of a huge bank that got bailed out. Credit Unions are a much better option, in my opinion.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 9:19 am

As others have recommended, I suggest a neighborhood credit union. You can open a CU account for $5-25 (one-time, refundable membership fee). After that, the account is free of charge. If all you need is a deposit account, you can use just the savings-account feature and withdraw from it using an ATM card. That is the most basic of accounts, and you can add other features if you need them.

Also, especially for online or international deposits like you described, you can create a PayPal.com account and link it to your brick-and-morter CU or bank accounts.

Just a couple of affordable ideas for you! Stay away from big banks.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

17 Sep 2014, 4:50 pm

mattschwartz01 wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:

Credit unions tend to be smaller, friendlier, and more apt to take the time to help you understand what they are offering. Plus, you help fuel the local economy instead of a huge bank that got bailed out. Credit Unions are a much better option, in my opinion.

I am with one of the biggest credit unions in Washington state. I switched in July 2012. Best decision I made. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."