Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Cat_tillo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2015, 10:18 pm

Hello everyone! I am on here off and on. I am Catherine.

I am interning at a program just for kids- adults on the Autism Spectrum. I recently have had to switch a kid to another one. This kid is 6 years old. He is on the spectrum. What I have noticed is that he often shuts down if pushes too much? He basically is muted. I know if I were him I wouldn't want someone pushing me so much to start a conversation. But I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions I can work on with him to get him to participate in conversation skills.

Thank you.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 9:14 pm

All I have to suggest is... stop talking.

I hate when I shut down and people keep pressing me and pressing me and I can't respond, so, they bombard me with more words and higher volumes. It makes me feeling harder and harder and more overwhelmed.

My oldest son reacts the same.
The only thing I do for him is to intervene and make people leave him alone, until he can speak again.

Cat_tillo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2015, 9:32 pm

Missdorkness I suggested that to the therapist working with the kid. And I was told no you have to and I said no. He's shutting down by you constantly pushing him. I feel like they should know this since it's a whole program for people on the spectrum. They know I am on the spectrum. And I tell them if someone was pressuring me I would shut down too. But they now are like fine if you say you know then do it. Get him to do what he needs to do. I try to tell them it's not a magic wand. And it'll be off and on but pushing someone against their will isn't the way to do it. Thank you for your reply.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 9:45 pm

Cat_tillo wrote:
Missdorkness I suggested that to the therapist working with the kid. And I was told no you have to and I said no. He's shutting down by you constantly pushing him. I feel like they should know this since it's a whole program for people on the spectrum. They know I am on the spectrum. And I tell them if someone was pressuring me I would shut down too. But they now are like fine if you say you know then do it. Get him to do what he needs to do. I try to tell them it's not a magic wand. And it'll be off and on but pushing someone against their will isn't the way to do it. Thank you for your reply.

Hopefully you can find a way to convince them. Sounds like an uphill battle.

Cat_tillo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2015, 9:50 pm

Definitely a uphill battle. Half the stuff they make the kids do I oppose but because I am not a licnesed therapist I am in the wrong for everything. But hopefully, I can get them to see since they finally assigned him to me. :)