Can work life be fun if you don't have much confidence?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm

I've always found it hard to focus on an interest, or to learn new facts or picking up new skills. Also I am shy, timid, and have social phobia, which affects how I feel when having to interact with the public. I've done retail before and I couldn't cope with it, the customers were ''scary'' for me, and I just wanted to shy away and work where I am out of the way.

It is making my work life miserable, because I feel stupid, useless and scared of my own shadow. I currently work as a cleaner at a care home, but I'm starting to find it really boring. I want to do something a little more interesting, but all the more interesting jobs out there want people with the skills I haven't got or have trouble with.

Is there any types of jobs out there what are suitable for someone with crippling shyness and social anxiety, and just below average to average intelligence? Because I can't think of any.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm

This is just an idea, but have you tried Emmaus, the charity that helps homeless people? I suggest it because there are a few Aspiens who work at my local Emmaus: in the workshop that prepares secondhand goods of all kinds for re-sale in their shop, in the shop itself (which is very large, more of a showroom, plenty of space to move around and not be harrassed by crowds), and in their restaurant. They seem happy there and do an excellent job. As it's quite a large, residential centre there are doubtless plenty of other jobs as well, it depends what you might like. Emmaus are a very decent, caring organisation who have a very inclusive approach to employment. Perhaps this might suit you?

Bentastic197
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2015, 3:07 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I've always found it hard to focus on an interest, or to learn new facts or picking up new skills. Also I am shy, timid, and have social phobia, which affects how I feel when having to interact with the public. I've done retail before and I couldn't cope with it, the customers were ''scary'' for me, and I just wanted to shy away and work where I am out of the way.

It is making my work life miserable, because I feel stupid, useless and scared of my own shadow. I currently work as a cleaner at a care home, but I'm starting to find it really boring. I want to do something a little more interesting, but all the more interesting jobs out there want people with the skills I haven't got or have trouble with.

Is there any types of jobs out there what are suitable for someone with crippling shyness and social anxiety, and just below average to average intelligence? Because I can't think of any.

ALthough I don't have social phobia but I feel the same way. I don't really know my interests and I have no idea on what to do with my life

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2015, 4:47 pm

To answer your question, yes. There are jobs out there with low hard skill and soft skill requirements. They're not especially fulfilling though, and you will most likely get bored in any of them. Across the pond, we call them "McJobs". Job satisfaction generally comes from job enrichment and job enlargement, but these tend to go hand-in-hand with greater skill and responsibility. Perhaps you can find an employer that's willing to train you to take the next steps in your work role. Another option is to attend a trade school and become certified in something useful. It doesn't have be particularly interesting to you, as long as you can keep yourself motivated enough to keep working. Then who knows, it could grow on you.