Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JCC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2007, 8:19 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a "newbie" here. I'm hoping mabey I could get some advise. I'm currently in a job situation where I'm having hell getting use to a new career. Last week I started in the Health field for a busy practice, and I think I bit off more than I can chew. The only way to describe it is "information overload". Other words, I'm being blasted with things coming at me in all directions and am having (on top of that) a hard time comunicating with the people around me. :(
I really need to know if this is something I should be running from or get help with. If this continues I'm headed for a melt-down.
J.C.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 9:29 am

I understand how you feel....

2 Years ago I applied for a job at a trailer factory... well the problem was I was a bit over Zealous with the descritions on my resumé.

..So I landed my very first desk job ...when in effect I was just a carpenter!! !

anyway the type of work wasn't all that different to what I was doing as a Builder,, except for the fact that I was stuck indoors(the hardest part for me to get used too)

I had to take care of customers and do the stock take, and when I was able too go out to the factory and give a helping hand....
My trouble started on the third day (the first day I was quickly taught the Nuances of my job)
People from all over started flooding in, asking me questions about the price of products with code numbers I hadn't learnt and people in the factory were asking me to pop out and help push over a trailer, all while 2 customers were wating at the front desk. (and I wondered why the other guy quit!)

Anyway... to the piont how to try and cope.

Pretend - Yup pretend you know what your doing - yes you will get the samrt arses coming up to you to test you, but I found that all I had to do was not look stressed and smile alot... the more I smiled, the less work I had....

eg. when I smiled over to the Purchasing Officer, when he would ask me to take the stock take, while I was out in the factory carrying a trailer, and a customer walked into the door ... he was say - don't worry, I'll get this one (or atleast keep the customer at bay untill I got thier)
You see if I keep that stressed out look on my face then, he wouldn't of been happy enough to help me out.

These smile, be happy, be an inspiration techniques can also help with deadlines... instead of frowning when asked where is this bit of work that isn't complete.. smile a little(don't over doit! -they'll all think your smug and kick you out for being too happy)

About promising deadlines: This one is tricky, some people demand a time frame, others you will be able to tell, I dunno, depends on my work load.

Have you ever noticed that the nervous, busy bees that are usually doing all the work don't last in the workplace? -> it's the happy go-lucky ones that end up taking over the company.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 6:11 pm

If the day-to-day duties of your job don't suit you, then find another one. There's no point in trying to make a job work that fundamentally conflicts with your abilities and personality. I know, I have tried with little success...

JCC

14 Mar 2007, 8:11 pm

I pulled a good one today. It kicked in when I was on the phone trying to get information this person who talks a mile a minute. Then it started, (and of course my co-wrker had to be next to me) the problem of sorting out information so I could write it down. Don't know why but when the phone rings and the other person is hyper, I go into a spacey mode and can't think straight. Is this a common thing amoung aspies? I'm figuring these people I work for are going to wonder what the deal is sooner or later. J.C.

DoubleFeed
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2007, 8:45 pm

Space wrote:
If the day-to-day duties of your job don't suit you, then find another one. There's no point in trying to make a job work that fundamentally conflicts with your abilities and personality. I know, I have tried with little success...
Maybe. See if you can set up a system in which the information gets to you in a way that more suits your abilities.