Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

none123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2015, 8:43 am

Hi there, I am new to this forum, need advice on my job situation please:

I am currently in the best job I have ever had in terms of being accepted, not being badly bullied/excluded. I get on ok with my colleagues, and although I still feel very disconnected to most people around me I don't mind going too much (unlike in past) and can connect a little to my colleagues. I really enjoy parts of the job too.
However, there are elements of the job that are very tricky for me: social side, sensory issues (noise, general stimulation in environment), issues related to unpredictability and needing to be flexible.

I have seen another job advertised, which would be closer to what I like doing in terms of the work. The sensory and other issues would still be there as this is part of the environment in which I work and I just have to manage unless I change career. However I am very reluctant to move as I am petrified of finding a more hostile environment as I have always found in the past. But it annoys me that this stops me applying for other jobs that may be more rewarding.

I mentioned how I would like to alter my job role for it to be more rewarding for me, but my manager didn't want to do this as she is happy with the current situation. As I have only become recently aware of my asperger traits I am now highly aware of how this affects my performance and of my anxiety levels, and feel that this is another reason to stay with my current employer as they are accepting of my difficulties (eg. offending others, misunderstanding instructions, miscommunications, occasional shutdown/not quite sure but inability to act in way I am meant to), whereas others may not be.