do you have a job? where do u work?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 5:24 pm

Do you have a job? If so what kind of job? Do you like it or dislike it?

I deliver pizza right now. I really like the job ecsuse I like driving and it isn't too mentally or physically hard but the downside it foes my pay much. I however think the positives outweigh the low pay.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

ChristianSmith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2015, 5:37 pm

I used to work as an electrician, but now have been pushed into a more managerial role, which I dislike as I have to listen to s**t conversations, be social and do boring stuff. Also everyone does half a job, why can't people just do their bloody job properly. But the pay is good! So I'll just keep putting up with the crashes for now

AQ:39
RAADS-R 172

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 5:23 pm

I work as a sales representative for a major soda company and actually like it. There's no sugar coating it, it's a very physically demanding job and it can have long, early hours but I worked hard for this company when I started as a merchandiser and have moved my way up in the past year. It's not a bad gig, some weeks I make great commission depending on the sales. This job isn't the type of job I thought I would be doing with a degree but having that degree can help me advancement even further so I'm happy for now.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 8:40 pm

I teach chemistry classes at a university. The teaching aspect of it I absolutely love, the politics of higher education not so much. Too much drama sometimes...

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2015, 8:54 pm

I'm a document programmer for a debt collection law firm. I like it. It matches my weird set of skills perfectly and it pays nicely.

MikeHart25
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2015, 12:36 am

I just got a job at a spa factory, a week ago. i like it cause I learned alot about plumbing, pipe fitting, framing, measuring, cutting, basically assembling hot tubs together. cept theirs over a 100 people! hate that alot actually, but what ever at least i get along with some of them. mostly just migrant workers from Asia hours are decent . 11-8mp cant complain :) !

Suzyqqqq
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2015, 5:42 pm

Management consultant. It's interesting, ever-changing and pays really well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 9:41 am

I'm a data-entry operator for NYC. Been doing this job almost 35 years.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 10:08 am

I enjoyed working as a customer service agent, but my boss and coworkers bullied me at work. After a few years this constant bullying caused me to have a nervous breakdown. I was lucky to get on long term disability and I no longer work.

undefineable
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2015, 4:18 pm

Corporate Sales Rep.? Management Consultant? Are either of you actually autistic?!

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jun 2015, 4:56 pm

I do a vague job that involves working with autistic people.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 8:13 pm

I work in a bottle return center, I like being in there.

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2015, 8:41 pm

undefineable wrote:
Corporate Sales Rep.? Management Consultant? Are either of you actually autistic?!

Believe it or not, those are jobs that autistic people can do well. Corporate Sales is normally a B2B job, and it's most important to have detailed product knowledge and a thorough understanding of your client's needs as well as their budget. It can be research intensive and the actual sale hinges on the value proposition.
Management consulting is similar, except at the lower levels, you're more like an analyst and not directly responsible for any client accounts. Similar to Corp Sales, technical skills and good business acumen are the most valuable assets in the lower levels of a management consulting role.
Autism doesn't keep you from doing a great job, it's just a higher social barrier to climb. For most professional jobs, this is only a liability in the interview.

Answering the OP, I work in corporate finance.

BlazeJester
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jun 2015, 9:41 pm

I'm a chemist by education (BS Chemistry, MS Environmental Sciences focusing on Organic Chem). You could say I'm a pattern thinking mind :lol:

I had a really hard time getting a job in my field. Part of it was my location, but a lot of it was the interview process. I'm just not good at it. I'm lucky to be a scientist, where we're kinda expected to be a little weird if we're really good at it.

I now work as a lab tech in a chemical manufacturing plant. I do not enjoy the manufacturing environment. I am overstimulated by the loud noises and extremely disrupted by the rotating shift I work. I consider this period of time my "trial period", however, where I show the management my strengths for a few years before I am valued enough to ask for a type of job I will thrive in. For now it pays well enough, it's in my field and I'm learning tremendous amounts about myself and where I fit on the spectrum, since the work stressors have basically reduced my function to my baseline level. As a scientist I am fascinated by the discovery process of learning my own mind.

I used to work, ironically enough, as a cashier and waitress and loved it. I was good at learning the menu items and that side of the interaction is pretty scripted. I was a fantastic pizza cashier. I took phone orders, made pizzas and routed deliveries. It was my first job and probably the best fit for my innate skills. Too bad it doesn't pay but $10/hr. Can't live on that.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 7:10 am

I work at a flower nursery over the summer and over the fall and winter too preparing for the next season. I am in school for a BA in theatre so sometime soon I'll be working in that field. As a side job, I am a reseller on eBid and Bonanza. That is actually harder than most people realize, but I make good extra money from it, I like seeing where my things go, and I like going out to my two sources of inventory and seeing what I can find.

Sachorus27
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2015, 10:10 am

I work at an Apple Authorised Service Provider as a technician. I like the work itself, diagnosing and fixing computers...the pay sucks but I like fixing things and the machines occasionally offer a good challenge.

The downside is I almost constantly misunderstand my customers and it is quite difficult trying to understand them. If I were allowed to simply ask the relevant questions and get straight forward answers it'd be alright but my manager constantly complains and stresses I must be more "Empathetic" and "Warmer" as well as engaging the customers in conversation. He even tried to force me to smile when dealing with people. Had five complaints in one day over "pulling faces" at people.

To sum up, no...I don't much like it. But I dislike the prospect of changing even more.