No career stability means I fail at being an adult

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Elfwink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2015, 7:50 am

I have been struggling to progress my life over the past 5 years. In an out of unemployment so often, it's crazy.

I have aspirations to work in a very competitive field. Some negative-minded people say that the fact that it's competitive means I shouldn't try. However, I like to believe that I'm highly talented and knowledgeable. I like to believe I'm within the top 10 or 20 people in my local area in terms of skill level. I've gotten into some short-term jobs, and many job interviews. My mind is awash with made-up reasons why they don't decide to keep me, such as: The employer is detecting "something wrong with her, I can't put my finger on..."; or because of my age, or gender.

My extended family don't see what I do as a real job, because it doesn't involve producing anything tangible. Some of assume that "because it's technology", I can simply jump across into other platforms/languages/devices - But it doesn't work that way! (It's like saying a dentist can become a brain surgeon overnight because they're both "doctors".)

Government-provided support try to tell me I don't know how to write a resume or go to interviews, etc. I feel very disrespected by them, as they're also in the boat of people who don't understand what I do.

I can't just walk into any supermarket, store, or restaurant and get a casual job. They all require prior experience, and I'm not going to get that through volunteering or helping out family members. Besides, those kinds of places are panic-inducing for people with sensory overload.

I'm so mad, but I don't know who I'm really mad at. Myself, the employers, the economy, the government...

Or maybe "the thing I do" actually isn't of use at all... (If so, then why do the employers invite me for interviews, and tell me they like my CV? Is this a cruel joke?)

I'm sorry there's no real question in this post. I'm at a loss.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 9:33 am

It just hasn't clicked yet. When it does, this phase will seem like nothing. You'll be in here telling other people to hang in there.

It honestly probably IS your gender and age. People think manager when they see a woman your age in a technology field, so it's a risk to hire you. Unless you're fitting in perfectly, it's more to their advantage to let you move on. I would keep working your qualifications and showing that you're versatile and a team player (i.e. not trying to boss anyone around or make anyone feel dumb) and you'll find that click position soon.

Hang in there!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 9:49 am

A big part of being a team player is not setting the bar too high. In a lot of places, if you try to change working standards, like working an extra unpaid hour each day, when nobody is doing that, your co-workers will get rid of you. You may need to just pay more attention to what is going on around you, and doing a reasonable, not excessive amount of work.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 5:49 am

Better no career stability than no career.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Marvin_the_Martian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2015, 5:55 pm

Elfwink wrote:
I can't just walk into any supermarket, store, or restaurant and get a casual job. They all require prior experience.

I'm an aspie teacher, a chef instructor of a high school Culinary Arts program. I have food service industry experience and have literally worked at every job available in a casual dining restaurant up to and including being a manager. I'm not sure why you think that supermarkets, stores, or restaurants require prior experience. Although prior experience is often preferred, the reality is that everyone has to start out somewhere. Restaurant chains like Bob Evans actually have training programs for new servers.

In terms of your ability to write a resume, I understand that you may feel disrespected by the people who are trying to advise you - but they ARE trying to advise you for a reason. Resumes are typically expected to follow a certain format. If you're trying to stand out in a crowd of applicants, a creative cover letter is the way to go - not a resume.

The resume is basically just a summary of your education, work experiences, and skill set. A manager or HR director should be able to look at it and know within a few moments as to whether or not you even have the skills that a given company is looking for.

Elfwink wrote:
Or maybe "the thing I do" actually isn't of use at all... (If so, then why do the employers invite me for interviews, and tell me they like my CV? Is this a cruel joke?)

Employers who ask applicants in for an interview typically interview several people for any given job. It's in the employer's best interest to interview a group of people so as to find the very best possible employee.

I'm sorry if you haven't been hired.

If you'd like to tell me more about your experience with interviewing, perhaps we could figure out why you haven't been offered employment.

As a Careers and Technical Education instructor, I teach employment skills to my students. This includes how to find a job, how to write a resume, how to write a cover letter, and how to be successful in a job interview.

I will be happy to help you if you'd like.