I don't have a shift for a whole week. WHY!?!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 12:22 pm

I went to the grocery store that I'm newly employed at(I've been through orientation and training already)this morning(Friday)to see the posted schedule for next week, and I don't even have a shift until next Saturday night(12/10). I am actually gonna be filling in for someone tomorrow, but I still don't understand why my shifts have to be a week apart.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 12:39 pm

Newbies typically get the worst hours. Which may mean that you get your start by filling in for people, rather than getting lots of regular hours. The best hours typically go to people who have been working there a long time--they usually get the preferred Monday through Friday 9-5 shift.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 3:08 pm

As BTDT said, expect horrible hours scattered all over the place being new… You’re also 16, so they probably assume to schedule you for the weekends.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 3:51 pm

Update: Based on the 2 replies so far, I should also add that I'm a sophomore in HS starting his first job. So it's not like I was expecting 9-5. More like 3 hours in the late afternoons. Plus a day in the weekends.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 3:55 pm

Just be patient--grocery stores typically have a high turnover--folks will get other jobs and leave. With time and good performance you will get more and better hours.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2016, 4:10 pm

Sometimes, fewer shifts can mean subtle punishment to kick workers out the door (toward another employer). But, much more often, the schedule manager simply has too many staffers, and the newest workers get the preference.

In either case, as others have written, offer to pick up shifts from other workers. By doing this, you will gain more experience, and become the "go-to" employee for the manager and other workers who suddenly need a day or night off.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)