Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 8:30 pm

Looking at jobs, i found one and said to myself "wow, I've done all this stuff before and I'm good at it and I'm going to apply" then... I saw a detail and said "potential problem with a small portion of job duty, maybe I shouldn't apply"

I'll apply and address potential issue if they interview me, but why do I kick myself in the butt like that?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

LillaA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2015, 10:08 am

I don't know why you do that, but if this helps you at all I can share some perspective from "the other side of the desk" as a manager who does hiring: we don't expect an applicant to be able to mark off everything on a job description exactly and completely. A job description is often like a wish-list - it's everything that the perfect person for the job would be. However, the reality is that we're dealing with human beings, and no human being is going to be an exact perfect fit. I'm currently in the process of filling an open position in my department, so posted a job description at the start of last week and started getting applications in through the week. I've sorted them into "call for interview" and "don't call for interview" piles, but I'll promise you that the "call for interview" pile didn't have experience with every single item on the job description. What I'm looking for when I sort candidates is that they have what it takes to be able to do the job, not that they have done this exact job before.

So, try to relax your standards with yourself, knowing that as a hiring manager my standards for you are a lot less harsh than yours are for yourself. For this job that I am currently hiring, if you have done 50% plus of the job duties listed, you'd be on top of my stack. If you've also worked in a similar-paced environment and if, in the interview, I can tell that your knowledge matches what's needed for the job (in my case, it's an accounting job, so some accounting familiarity is required), then you'd be golden. It doesn't take a 100% match with the job duties.

You might be surprised what job opportunities you'd get that would allow you to learn new skills if you allowed yourself to apply to some more varied postings. Worst that can happen is that they don't call you for an interview you, or interview you and don't offer you the job...and either way, what have you lost? :)

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

06 Dec 2015, 10:40 am

Angnix wrote:
Looking at jobs, i found one and said to myself "wow, I've done all this stuff before and I'm good at it and I'm going to apply" then... I saw a detail and said "potential problem with a small portion of job duty, maybe I shouldn't apply"

I'll apply and address potential issue if they interview me, but why do I kick myself in the butt like that?

Sounds like you are being honest with yourself. Apply and give it your best effort.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 11:25 am

It's a job at a busy park. Much of the job is computer work (I'm really good at), operating a nature center (description makes it sound like a store and I've done that well too) and giving environmental education programs (I've had three internships and jobs doing this)

The problem is the part about talking to visitors on the trails, some of them are raited as "hard" and I can't do that.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 11:33 am

Angnix wrote:
Looking at jobs, i found one and said to myself "wow, I've done all this stuff before and I'm good at it and I'm going to apply" then... I saw a detail and said "potential problem with a small portion of job duty, maybe I shouldn't apply". I'll apply and address potential issue if they interview me, but why do I kick myself in the butt like that?
That's the spirit!

The only way to guaranty that you won't get the job is to not apply for it!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

LillaA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2015, 4:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
The only way to guaranty that you won't get the job is to not apply for it!

Touche.

Angnix wrote:
The problem is the part about talking to visitors on the trails, some of them are raited as "hard" and I can't do that.

Why not?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 12:41 pm

It might only be a 6 month job... But this job i found today almost perfectly combines all my experience from all my previous jobs. I'm so well qualified I'm afraid if messing up the application somewhere... Can you say bird expert at a park? I keep finding better and better jobs!

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

07 Dec 2015, 1:44 pm

LillaA wrote:
So, try to relax your standards with yourself, knowing that as a hiring manager my standards for you are a lot less harsh than yours are for yourself. For this job that I am currently hiring, if you have done 50% plus of the job duties listed, you'd be on top of my stack. If you've also worked in a similar-paced environment and if, in the interview, I can tell that your knowledge matches what's needed for the job (in my case, it's an accounting job, so some accounting familiarity is required), then you'd be golden. It doesn't take a 100% match with the job duties.

2 quotes
-------------

"A team that turns down a great javascript coder because they don’t know C# is a team you don’t want to join." - Ben Kamens, Software Developer at Khan Academy

"The teams that turn down great javascript coders for not knowing C# are 99% of the teams that are hiring." - Me (from experience)

For the record, I agree with you. It SHOULD be about ability. If your hiring philosophy is standard among accounts, then you are in a field that's a lot more enlightened than mine is.

To the original poster, I say go for it. Apply and give it your all. I'm routing for you.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 5:52 pm

Can someone help me with finding info about stipends from an internship combined with free housing would affect ssi... If I get the apprenticeship I want if I would have to pay husband's rent I couldn't survive!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 8:56 pm

Address this question to SSI itself. Actually you can look it up online.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 5:19 am

I've applied to disability benefits in my country which isn't called SSI but is called personal independence payment (PIP), and the government has put really strict requirements which are more in favour of people who have mobility issues, and the government have said they are trying to cut as much of the welfare benefits as possible and this includes the PIP and ESA (Employment and Support Allowance, which replaces JSA which most people without disabilities claim), in response to immigrants, false claimants and fraudsters getting benefits when they are actually healthy and fit to work.

Since aspergers, high functioning autism or the less severe end of the spectrum is much less understood by the government and jobcentre, I and many more others are treated as the group that are deemed capable of work.

When I gave them my diagnosis letter, it's quite possible they put me in both the group that is incapable of work but also capable at the same time, which probably explains why they are unwilling to help me find a job, but at the same time makes me think I am unsuitable for every job - pretty much all jobs require the minimum communication skills to speak to other people in ways NT people would.

TLDR: I am both employable and unemployable. In the middle of a rope being tugged as it were. I have no money to go back into education or do any courses, currently receiving no benefits because the disability benefits are still getting worked out, so I am living life on a thread.

LillaA
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2015, 8:18 pm

unknownfactor wrote:
LillaA wrote:

2 quotes
-------------

"A team that turns down a great javascript coder because they don’t know C# is a team you don’t want to join." - Ben Kamens, Software Developer at Khan Academy

"The teams that turn down great javascript coders for not knowing C# are 99% of the teams that are hiring." - Me (from experience)

For the record, I agree with you. It SHOULD be about ability. If your hiring philosophy is standard among accounts, then you are in a field that's a lot more enlightened than mine is.

To the original poster, I say go for it. Apply and give it your all. I'm routing for you.

This varies depending on the position in accounting. The position I'm hiring for is more of an entry-level, "jack-of-all-trades" type position, where I need someone I can train more than someone who knows everything. The job I hold required a fair amount of accounting knowledge going into it (as it's a supervisory accounting role - when I'd been in the job for a month, I had people who had been there for 15 years asking me how to do things), but even than, I wasn't a 100% match to the job description, which was more my point. A team that's going to be doing C# coding should turn down a great Javascript coder if they need to have him/her working independently on advanced C# coding from day 1, but should hire him/her if they have time to train or will be able to put them on newbie-friendly projects to start with...and that's kind of how accounting is, too. I'm hiring for a position that we'll be able to train and that will be starting out on newbie-friendly things, so I can hire a great person instead of a great knowledge bank, but sometimes you have to hire an encyclopedia (knowledge source) instead of a computer (ability to do things).

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 9:27 pm

Now this one federal job was just at first gathering info about weither a person was eligible to be hired as a veteran or under a hiring authority ( like disabled) and they contacted me saying they would tell me when the job would be officially posted. The pluses are the job is permanent with benefits and in my state. The thing is looking at the duties of the job, one thing I can do very well, but the rest is new to me. Should I ask if they train?

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

13 Dec 2015, 5:10 pm

LillaA wrote:
A team that's going to be doing C# coding should turn down a great Javascript coder if they need to have him/her working independently on advanced C# coding from day 1, but should hire him/her if they have time to train or will be able to put them on newbie-friendly projects to start with...and that's kind of how accounting is, too.

Independently doing advanced C# on a code base you've never seen before...... is a very bad idea. Day 1 is for getting to know the team, getting to know coding standards, setting up relevant user accounts, and things like that. If anything is contributed to the code base on day 1, it should be minor bug fixes, simple unit tests, or documentation comments. Such is true for a junior dev right out of college. Such is also true for a senior engineer with 10 years experience.

OrangeMittens
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2015, 1:27 am

That's me too, I see something and think to myself "Hey I can do this, it's going to be great."

I get excited about it then I chicken out and never do anything but sit on my butt :roll: