Recently got a job at a call center

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

p0sitivevibes
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2016, 3:26 am

What are some ways to exude confidence/enthusiasm and empathy in your voice?

I was recently told that I had a monotone, and lacked empathy and enthusiasm in my voice. I was pretty hurt when they told me that. Should I even tell them I have Aspergers and can't help it? I don't know what to do. It's affecting my scores. Luckily, it's a seasonal job, but I don't want to get fired.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 6:19 am

For a callcenter job, disclosing aspergers isn't the greatest idea, i wouldn't do so, not for a seasonal.

I recommend joining some acting classes, those can greatly help you to add emotions and empathy in your voice and body language.
These classes teach NTs to exaggerate such effects, but it can help those on the spectrum as well.

carbonmonoxide
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2016, 6:43 am

Smile while you talk, it really helps.

Magthidon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Apr 2016, 1:48 am

p0sitivevibes wrote:
What are some ways to exude confidence/enthusiasm and empathy in your voice?

I was recently told that I had a monotone, and lacked empathy and enthusiasm in my voice. I was pretty hurt when they told me that. Should I even tell them I have Aspergers and can't help it? I don't know what to do. It's affecting my scores. Luckily, it's a seasonal job, but I don't want to get fired.

Basically you have to pretend that every person you talk to is a long lost best friend that you haven't spoken to in ages. "Hey! Thanks for calling xyz, how may I direct your call?" If you have a big smile on your face, then you're doing it right.

Maple78
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2016, 12:16 pm

carbonmonoxide wrote:
Smile while you talk, it really helps.

As annoying as this may feel, it really does work. This is what people who do the voiceovers for commercials do - I find it sickly irritation, but apparently this is something people subconsciously like to hear, they register it as friendly and good-willed.

Maybe you can find some youtube videos to help with this problem? If it's a script or set of scripts, show them to people without an intonation problem and let them teach you how to do it - you can practice with them.