Allegedly, I'm "not hungry enough" and have wrong strategies

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 May 2016, 8:48 pm

I had an interview to be an English or writing adjunct at the local community college this week, and was rejected a few days later because of the cliche about not having enough experience. I'm ready to volunteer tutor around the area or make a little bit of money freelancing to get that experience (I'm already doing freelance editing work), but my mother got mad at me because I'm not searching as hard as I should. She wants me to post ads offering tutoring services everywhere.

Would posting ads help?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 2:08 am

It might help get the word out. IDK, the job market nowadays is lousy.

kmb501
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2016, 7:50 am

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a touch of social anxiety, so that makes posting ads and actually answering phone calls in response to said ads a bit tricky. I guess the worst that could happen, though, is that they don't like the service and don't pay you. It's worth a shot; you should probably listen to your mom and see where it goes.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 1:59 pm

I think posting ads for tutoring will help.
There are many students who could use extra help in english classes, plenty of people aren't naturally good at writing or english.
You should charge money for tutoring, not volunteer.
At least $30 per hour.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 9:56 am

I, myself, do recommend volunteer tutoring or teaching. I got in with an organization locally that just put me in front of a classroom, sometimes of 30 plus people right out of the gate. It's a great way to learn and if it's a class that is used to volunteer teachers they won't expect much. Anyone you're tutoring will be so grateful for your help that they will make it pretty easy on you. Organizations won't match people up with a student who is difficult to deal with. I would not work with a person directly- only through an organization. You don't want to get a person who will start stalking you (happened to me) or just disappear after you've put in a lot of effort with them (also happened to me).

But mostly you get placed with good people and it's a lot of fun.

Then you can go into interviews with confidence and say yes, I can teach anyone, in any circumstance. You'll get hired.

MisplacedMinnesotan
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2016, 3:56 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I, myself, do recommend volunteer tutoring or teaching. I got in with an organization locally that just put me in front of a classroom, sometimes of 30 plus people right out of the gate. It's a great way to learn and if it's a class that is used to volunteer teachers they won't expect much. Anyone you're tutoring will be so grateful for your help that they will make it pretty easy on you. Organizations won't match people up with a student who is difficult to deal with. I would not work with a person directly- only through an organization. You don't want to get a person who will start stalking you (happened to me) or just disappear after you've put in a lot of effort with them (also happened to me).

But mostly you get placed with good people and it's a lot of fun.

Then you can go into interviews with confidence and say yes, I can teach anyone, in any circumstance. You'll get hired.