Issues connecting with my colleagues

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 9:38 am

Hi:
I am noticing that I am having a hard time connecting with my colleagues even though they are great people and I still we get along and I am never excluded or anything.

The biggest issue that I am having is that I keep hearing how everyone else makes outside connections with each other. I hear about them texting each other and getting together on the weekend. All the while I don't talk to anyone outside of work. I would like to know what I could improve and how I could reach out.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 3:31 pm

I've had this issue, too. I seemed to be liked well enough at work, but it doesn't really extend past that.

The standard advice is to be more open about your activities and interests. For example, if someone is a bowler, bring your bag for the purpose of going bowling after work. If you're a baseball fan, bring the sports page.

But . . . a lot of my interests are kind of private, such as liberal/left political activism which I should probably keep out of the work place.

I've taken all kinds of books to school and work, like a nature book about grizzly bears, like an autobiography of an entrepreneur, but only a few conversations. Maybe people are embarrassed that it's a topic I know about but they don't?

EveyHammond
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jul 2016, 7:13 pm

I might start inviting them down stairs to a happy hour once a month or see about getting a potluck together.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 11:13 am

I think that's a common problem for a lot of us with aspies. It's hard to connect with people easily the way NTs seem to. At least that's been my experience.

I hope once I start the job I just got I'll be able to befriend some of my co-workers. I need to keep a list of things to talk about so I can get a chance to open a potential friendship. It's a lot easier to be natural with people once you already have a foundation laid. If I just came up to people and discussed what was on my mind it would be awkward cuz I don't really spend that much time thinking about casual subjects. Most of what interests me is stuff that's considered too deep or personal or complex for when you barely know someone.

I wish small talk interested me lol. I like gossiping, so that's something.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2016, 5:30 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:

The standard advice is to be more open about your activities and interests. For example, if someone is a bowler, bring your bag for the purpose of going bowling after work. If you're a baseball fan, bring the sports page.

For some reason, intentionally doing something like this has never occurred to me.
I'm currently a telecommuter but if I do end up in an office again somewhere I'll be more deliberate about planting conversation starters in my work area.

In my previous positions I've had a hard time socializing with my co-workers. To the point that at one workplace I was the only person not invited to a co-worker's wedding (or bridal shower, or bachelorette party). That's been the norm for me my whole life. So far, telecommuting seems to be a better option for me. I have occasional in-person contact with my co-workers but not enough to run them off like daily exposure to me seems to do.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 6:20 am

I had trouble connecting with most of my co-workers as a previous job years even though I made an effort to be involved and attend the special events such as weddings and house warming parties. When it came to me no one seemed to reciprocate.

All the women except me were invited out to lunch and several shopping sprees during the work week. When I finally had the guys to call the boss out about it, she made excuses. "Well you get off at noon and often leave so that's why I don't invite you. You know that I often bring pizza in once a week and you are always more than welcome to eat lunch with us then." I had also dropped hints that I wanted to be involved many times before that but I always got excuses. If we did go out it was if the boss invited everyone from the company.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2016, 6:45 pm

NT's are a$$es on the job. They are only thinking of ways to network with the right people. That's not us, kiddo.

Wewnaw
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jul 2016, 6:19 am

spinelli wrote:
NT's are a$$es on the job. They are only thinking of ways to network with the right people. That's not us, kiddo.

Sad, but true.

RAADS-R score: 189.0
Seeking diagnosis

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 4:59 pm

Tori0326 wrote:

For some reason, intentionally doing something like this has never occurred to me.
I'm currently a telecommuter but if I do end up in an office again somewhere I'll be more deliberate about planting conversation starters in my work area.

In my previous positions I've had a hard time socializing with my co-workers. To the point that at one workplace I was the only person not invited to a co-worker's wedding (or bridal shower, or bachelorette party). That's been the norm for me my whole life. So far, telecommuting seems to be a better option for me. I have occasional in-person contact with my co-workers but not enough to run them off like daily exposure to me seems to do.
Again, I haven't had that much success. In part, because my interests tend to be weird, quirky, offbeat. Maybe playing the boardgames 'Five Tribes' or 'Haiwaii' would be among my more normal interests. No such thing as 'normal' and how boring a place the world would be if there were! :jester:

I like wildlife and nature. Had some success at actually two separate workplaces bringing a book on bears. Lead to a little bit of good conversation and maybe the beginning of friendship. Didn't really lead to friendship.

maybe the way to look at things is that there's a 50-50 chance to move to the next level, and either way is perfectly okay.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 5:14 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
All the women except me were invited out to lunch and several shopping sprees during the work week. When I finally had the guys to call the boss out about it, she made excuses. "Well you get off at noon and often leave so that's why I don't invite you. You know that I often bring pizza in once a week and you are always more than welcome to eat lunch with us then." I had also dropped hints that I wanted to be involved many times before that but I always got excuses. If we did go out it was if the boss invited everyone from the company.
That would sting me, too. I would feel an immediate emotional response of being stung.

I do hope this is the previous workplace.

She's not saying, Oh, my God, you are invited, of course you're invited. Instead she's rather making excuses for her behavior.

[email protected]
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2016, 7:25 am

Just take the lunch offer. Trust me.

In situations like this, they are likely ashamed of themselves for being such a "clique," and reminding them of this highschoolish behavior will not help your situation. In a way, they are protecting you, and most of them will not have the rational intelligence that you and I have. They will explain it irrationally, because the behavior itself is extremely irrational.

If they did include you, would you enjoy it? Would they? Would you know what to say to all of their quips and gossips? Which - yes - it will be mostly gossip. Sorry if this is rude, or I have no place to insert my input? Except I've been there a hundred times. Sometimes I even stalked them and showed up un-announced. You don't want to do that, because it would ironically have the same effect as if they had invited you in the first place. You would be perplexed at the things they talk about at these gatherings - or the people they talk about.

Go to lunch with them, and call yourself lucky.

Last edited by [email protected] on 30 Jul 2016, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2016, 7:26 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Hi:
I am noticing that I am having a hard time connecting with my colleagues even though they are great people and I still we get along and I am never excluded or anything.

The biggest issue that I am having is that I keep hearing how everyone else makes outside connections with each other. I hear about them texting each other and getting together on the weekend. All the while I don't talk to anyone outside of work. I would like to know what I could improve and how I could reach out.

I feel your pain and sometimes you might not make any friends at this job. I got lucky at my current job almost everyone except one crazy person shares my interests so sharing interests and people who like you helps to lol

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 10:53 am

@AardvarkGoodSwimmer - Yes that was a former position that I had worked at for 8 years in which was I laid off from due to supply and demand. That boss was very passive aggressive about a lot of things.

1. When I sent out the online invitation she just ignored it.
2. Rather than saying she could not make it she said "Have fun at your party," in a very cold tone.
3. When I asked her why she never went to my things she said: "I don't go to things that are far away."

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 11:24 am

If the boss has maybe one big friend at work, I guess as long as the boss makes a real effort not to engage in favoritism.

But it sounds like this boss was inviting most of the people but not all the people to events ? ? ? And that sounds really lousy no matter how we look at it. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 7:46 am

I was invited to the parties and the group things and I made an effort to get them gifts. I was also invited to group things and the people there kept telling me that I was a "Part of their family." When I had my house warming party though they were not interested. In fact, several of them made fun of me four months beforehand. "How can you afford a condo? You have a limited income."