Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bald-Accountant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2016, 2:20 pm

I am interested in this because I have had two jobs that I felt good about, but was a little reluctant to tell people what I did/do.

When I first got out of school I worked for the IRS answering tax law questions and telling people where their refund was. Even though I was helping people, it is hard for some people to get past the IRS and also then I have to have a discussion about flat taxes...

My current job is as an accountant for a catholic hospital. I feel good about what the company does, but obviously healthcare is not the most popular job.

What about you - do you a job that you dont talk about or are you proud to step up and tell where you work?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 5:49 pm

My job is clerical, not as "good" as yours.

(Note: I don't begrudge your job; you worked hard to get to get these jobs).

I'm not really "proud" of my job, though I'm proud of the fact that I've spent 36 years on it without many hitches.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 7:30 pm

At this point I'm considering working for someone else because running your own business is beyond annoying. It feels good to earn your own money but I'm starting to feel a bit lazier, plus doing my taxes is the worst thing ever.

I wouldn't say I was proud of it though, I'm happy about it being more free but obviously there's a lot of effort involved, and procrastination on the WP forums lol.

fourcandles
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2016, 11:38 am

I wouldn't say where I work on an internet forum, but I don't mind anyone knowing that I'm a programmer. It's what I always wanted to do and there's still nothing else I'd rather be doing.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 11:43 am

i hated the task, but i was proud of being among the most competent, responsible and rapid [job title] there.

too bad i was an errand monkey.

so i quit.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

freshborneden
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2016, 5:10 pm

I actually kind of enjoy my job! I provide closed captions for phone calls for hard of hearing and deaf people. I don't really have to talk to anyone, and the worst part about it really is just the fact that I have to share office space with normies.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 5:12 pm

reeeee.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

r.steiner4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2016, 1:39 am

I am looking for work myself at the moment. I previously worked in an adult novelty store, I did feel as though I did some good working there. I felt as though I helped people have successful and happy relationships and that I could reach out and tell them that whatever they were "into" was normal and natural and healthy. Currently, because of my lack of qualifications, I am looking at retail positions in the floral and bakery department of grocery stores. It doesn't have anything to do with my degree which is in biology but I am hoping it will at least give me a good steady pay check and keep me busy.
I hope to do something satisfying with my biology degree. I'm pretty fond of botany and other forms of macro bio like taxonomy, not sure beyond that.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2016, 1:11 pm

The answer is definitely yes. I work as a lithium ion battery researcher for Tesla Canada, and as a teaching assistant in an undergraduate organic chemistry laboratory. When you buy a Tesla Model 3 or a Powerwall, remember; I had a part to play in its development, if only a minor one.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 3:46 pm

Yes, I'm proud of my job.

I'll be leaving it soon, for health reasons. And for some reason, I envision saying "I'm a stay at home mom" rather than saying "I'm unemployed".

I could also probably get on disability, but for some reason I can't let myself do that (it sounds like so much of a headache to get it set up).

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 2:11 am

r.steiner4 wrote:
I am looking for work myself at the moment. I previously worked in an adult novelty store, I did feel as though I did some good working there. I felt as though I helped people have successful and happy relationships and that I could reach out and tell them that whatever they were "into" was normal and natural and healthy. Currently, because of my lack of qualifications, I am looking at retail positions in the floral and bakery department of grocery stores. It doesn't have anything to do with my degree which is in biology but I am hoping it will at least give me a good steady pay check and keep me busy.
I hope to do something satisfying with my biology degree. I'm pretty fond of botany and other forms of macro bio like taxonomy, not sure beyond that.

plants, baking...that would sound so soothing if only it weren't bloody retail.

so congratulations and also, condolences, if you do get that job. :wink:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 2:49 am

r.steiner4 wrote:

Avoid cake decorating if you can't handle incredibly high stress. That's all I have to say. I LIKE working in fast paced high stress positions but I could not handle the stress of being a cake decorator.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

krampus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Dec 2016, 8:28 pm

I'm very proud of mine as I had to work my way up from the bottom, self studied, and was recognized as a top performer. Today, I'm a data engineer for a big insurance company and make enough money to support a stay at home wife and two kids. My 1099 consulting rate would be at least $80/hour should I leave my employer.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 2:34 am

I'm kinda neutral about it as a title/type of work, but I'm proud to do it because it's honest work vs. ripping people off for a living like some people do.

I do labour for a construction company that renovates houses, restores heritage houses, and builds new houses. I'm also a first aid attendant. And driver. etc. It's not exactly what I went to business school for.. but I don't need a fancy title. Besides, I have a long term business plan and doing this type of work is gaining me skills/knowledge/experience and connections that I'll be able to utilize in the future.

I've also just begun doing some part time/casual work for a startup. It's a sort of.. consulting role of sorts where I'll offer my input as well as wear multiple hats to get things done as time progresses. It's not an entirely new business, but more of an entirely new division for an established business. I'm not saying what it is for who at the moment because it's so new that we're in the feasibility study stage before they drop bigger coin to really kick things off. As vague as I am being, I'm proud of the involvement I'll have in this project because of the friend of mine who owns the company. I've always wished him success and am stoked to be a part of the development of his next product line. That and the whole concept is pretty neat, too. Plus it's another opportunity to give my input and expertise and then see it manifested into reality instead of disappear into thin air like most jobs. :P

Johs98
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2017, 6:25 pm

No, not at all. I don't even have a permanent job, I work for an agency on a zero hours contract, no guarantee of actually getting any work.

When I am working it's mainly in places like warehouses doing boring low skilled crap. I don't like working there but it's my only source of income right now so I don't have a choice. At least until I save up enough to get my own business started, may be a while yet though.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 2:59 am

^ that is quite ambitious. :thumleft:

i would be annoyed at never having a set schedule, instead always being "on call", never knowing if your net hour will be spent working or goofing off.

tell me it's better than that. :|

when i worked, i was the "go to" dishwasher when the other guy didn't show up for whatever reason. a single days notice is iffy enough, never mind a few minutes.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.