Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Moomon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2017, 12:20 pm

Just wondering if anyone has advice about coping with anxiety and ruminating when starting a new role. Have been working in a job for a while and the routine has allowed me to hold it down without too much trouble. However, recently was asked to do different shifts, involving new people (often agency staff who change regularly) and requiring more written work. The first day managed to cope, but was hit with exhaustion at trying to cope with the change and new protocols. I made a few mistakes which I usually would not get wrong, but kept getting a brain fog and the anxiety of the changes led to poor performance. Later that night the rumination started and I couldn't let go of it. The second day I had written down my solutions and what I needed to do to improve, but still found I was making silly errors as a result of worrying!
My coworkers are unaware of my Aspergers, and I am not comfortable disclosing, especially with those I do not know and may not see again.
Any thoughts or tips.... At the moment just want to run for the hills and feel entirely incompetent!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 12:56 pm

Ask your supervisor(s) questions about anything you don't understand or doubt. The supervisor(s) will love this because it will help you and they will believe that they are wonderful advisers. Plus, it gives you an excuse if things don't go well here or there; "well, I asked about this, but I wasn't told about that."

Good luck.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Moomon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2017, 4:49 pm

Thank you.