Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

boots1123
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2007, 11:01 am

I tend to turn putdowns into jokes. If I was called "rainman," I would spout off with, "Yep, and I'm going to Las Vegas next weekend... you'd better be nice to me." or "I'm going to remember who my friends are." Then there would be laughter. If I react in anger, they will react in a defensive manner and the situation will escalate because even on some little level they will be embarrassed.

I like the idea of giving nicknames to the other people, too. If I couldn't think of names, I'd recruit help from the others, "So, Bob, who/what does Jim reminder you of?"

Space
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 1:30 pm

I would never tell people at work anything about AS. Just try to act as normal as you can, and not take anything people say personally. If people see weakness and that they can upset you, they will do it even more.

boots1123
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2007, 1:59 pm

I wouldn't tell that I have a AS dx, either. I used to, (3 times) and would get asked, "Hey, can you tell me what day I was born on?" I answer, "Well, yeah, there's a site on the internet that performs those calculations. Want me to show you?" LOL

Can you play piano by ear? No, I use my fingers.

But, like I said before, I try to use humor a lot. I'd rather be known for being corny or silly than thin-skinned. It's wierd, though, because I'm also considered intense when I focusing on a client.